Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I hated the first one SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much I left before it was over. My wife turned to look at me and said, "I can't take any more. Shoot me now." I said, "Shoot you? Nah...let's just use or feet. Let's be like bananas!!!!!!!!!!!"

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
If you want to portray Moriarty, why would you not cast Bill Nighy, if it's at all possible?

I'd always be happiest with a close adaptation of the Doyle stories; loved the Jeremy Brett series.

But Holmes is an adaptable character, Downey is a charming actor, and I have to admit I got to like the first movie, and enjoy seeing a competent Watson who won't take unlimited amounts of bullshit from Holmes.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to portray Moriarty, why would you not cast Bill Nighy, if it's at all possible?

I'd always be happiest with a close adaptation of the Doyle stories; loved the Jeremy Brett series.

But Holmes is an adaptable character, Downey is a charming actor, and I have to admit I got to like the first movie, and enjoy seeing a competent Watson who won't take unlimited amounts of bullshit from Holmes.

This. Brett was Holmes. Shit, back in the day, Basil Rathbone was Holmes.

I didn't care for the Downey Jr. one the first time, but it has grown on me on repeated watchings. Downey does a fine job, for this sort of Holmes.

But, pound for pound the Brett Hound of the Baskervilles was the best Holmes adaptation evah.

I'll watch this new one when it comes around on cable.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meh, when's the BBC's Sherlock coming back?

I'm not sure when it's airing, but my daughter's college friend watched them filming in London last week and got an autograph from Ben Cumberbatch (and lots of fuzzy videos on her phone). I'm wondering how they worked that with The Hobbit filming Down Under, but, hey, I'm happy. With luck, the next season will be in the USA by next spring. That would be nice. I'm seriously looking forward to it.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Maybe he wasn't available, or too expensive, or not interested. Hard for us to say, but that would be a fantastic casting, I agree.

I wasn't inclined to like this reinterpretation of Holmes, honestly. I'm also seriously not a Downey fan (he's one of those actors I just plain don't like looking at for extended periods of time). But somehow the combination of Law's Watson (superb!) with Downey worked for me.

Now, the plot was inane and definitely beneath Holmes (I've read better plotted Holmes fan fic) and totally transparent and boring, but the relationship the two actors gave the characters made it interesting enough to sit through.

Because the last story was so bad, I'm still on the fence on whether or not I'll spend money on this one. Thus, my post looking for more information.

This. Brett was Holmes. Shit, back in the day, Basil Rathbone was Holmes.

But, pound for pound the Brett Hound of the Baskervilles was the best Holmes adaptation evah.

I'll watch this new one when it comes around on cable.

Agreed, Jeremy Brett is the epitome of Doyle's Holmes. The interesting thing about the new BBC series and this movie series is the reinterpretation of the iconic character, how they keep him the same but change him to a new vision.

Right now, I'm leaning toward cable for this one too, but if they can pull off a better story, I might be willing to pay money for it. I just have serious doubts.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't go into the first film comparing it to the original Holmes, It really stands on it's own. The film was good in my opinion, if you come at it without expectations.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score

Not even close. Frankly, its too languid pace bored me to tears. Give me Rathbone or Cushing, any time.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this yet, by chance?

I haven't heard anything about it yet--which seems odd.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Since everything I read about the first one was that you couldn't hear large parts of it I didn't watch it. It was on the free sample of cable last month, still didn't watch it. I find it annoying when I can't hear the actors. I'll wait to see if the sound is better in this one.

I've heard that in the fan screening of the new Batman, the universal complaint was that in parts of it you couldn't hear what the actors were saying. Apparently the producers are considering whether or not they should fix this problem. I hope this isn't a trend in movies. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it annoying to not be able to hear the actors.

MamaStrong

Registered
Reaction score
Saw this the other day, and LOVED it! I'm a Downey fan anyway. However, it was great. Of course I've never read the books, but ehh, I liked it.

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw it today! If you didn't like the first one, well, you'll be even more annoyed, so don't bother.

If you DID like the first one, as I did (I know it had its flaws, but I was too smitten with RDJ!Holmes to really give a damn) I'd warn you that it's not quite as good as the first one. Keep your expectations low, enjoy the banter and the pretty, and you'll have a blast.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
MamaStrong, so you can hear most of it? I'm not asking about the plot or the acting, if I can't understand what they're saying those things don't matter.

Yes, I want to read the words, "Yes, I could hear most of it" or "Nope, sound was as bad as the first one." before I spend money to see it.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I was hoping they'd use this from Doyle, since it would be hard to improve:
Conan Doyle's Moriarty to Holmes said:
This is not danger. It is inevitable destruction. You stand in the way not merely of an individual, but of a mighty organization, the full extent of which you, with all your cleverness, have been unable to realize. You must stand clear, Mr. Holmes, or be trodden under foot.

There were some odd little anachronisms in the movie (e.g., phonograph disks a few years ahead of time; a typewriter looking at least fifteen years too early for its design). I wonder if they were deliberate, as a sign not to take any of it too seriously.

My favorite cinematic Holmes interpretations are probably those of Christopher Plummer and John Neville (both, oddly enough, in movies pitting Holmes against Jack the Ripper).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I thought it was great fun but the anachronisms were rampant and it played fast and loose with canon. It is more a fanfic movie really.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I loved it, and so did my Largely Mythological Husband. I have no idea why the reviews haven't been better--I think it was just as crisp and well-paced as the first.

Also, Stephen Fry as Mycroft. Perfection!

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I want to read the words, "Yes, I could hear most of it" or "Nope, sound was as bad as the first one." before I spend money to see it.

Yes, I could hear every word of every bit of dialogue. No sound issues at all.

I thought it was a fun movie. Didn't see the first one, though, so I can't compare them for either story or sound.

jerriecan

Registered
Reaction score
A very fun movie, and Jared Harris as Moriarty was a perfect foil for Holmes. Not the casting I'd have expected for a major Hollywood villain, but perfect for this film. And I agree about Stephen Fry - his scenes were easily among the best in the film.

MamaStrong

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I could hear every word of every bit of dialogue. No sound issues at all.

I thought it was a fun movie. Didn't see the first one, though, so I can't compare them for either story or sound.

I second this!

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Actually I did think they mumbled a fair bit, could understand most of it though.

And I didn't like it as much as the first. The way both the dialogue and the plot were delivered I expected them to be both far more clever than they actually were. But the casting again was great, and it's still an entertaining movie. I still prefer the first.