Princesses?

-alex-

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,
I’m not sure if this goes here, and if not, I have no idea where to put it...

For the story I’m working on at the moment, part of it has “Teen Princess" plot. But, really, I have no idea how a "Teen Princess" would act, what her duties to her people and race would be, what her daily life inside the palace would be like, what is expected on her. For example attending Royal Balls and Dinners. Dealing with the Public and the Press... and so on…
She is a reluctant Princess, heir to her father’s throne, but does not want it. She does not want to be a Princess.

My story is YA Urban Fantasy. So, some of it takes place in our world. Some of it takes place in another world – which is very similar to ours.

I realize I need to do some research on this, but I really have no idea where to start. Can anyone suggest anything? Websites? Books; fiction/non-fiction? Movies? (The only one I can think of, which I’ve seen, is "The Princess Diaries", lol)

Thanks for any help you can give.
-Alex

HistoryLvr

Add Salt to Taste
Registered
Reaction score
I think she'd be like most other teens. I doubt this would change her all that much. She might be spoiled, perhaps rebellious if she doesn't want the throne, but I think it all depends on who you want her to be. You know the character, you know what her personality is like. Put her into a situation and ask yourself how she would act/think/feel etc.

If there is a living king or queen, she might not have very many "duties" as you say. And whatever things she would have to do would change from year to year, culture to culture. It's all relative, really. I think The Princess Diaries series is a really good one for seeing how a modern day princess might act. There are lots of YA books on teen royalty. Go to the library and get some. They will probably be much more help than I am.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The present day British princesses Beatrice and Eugenie went to private boarding school (as did Princes William and Harry) and had no royal duties

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
Waylander is totally correct, I was a Royal Protection Officer for the Duke and Duchess of York up to and just after the birth of Beatrice. Young Royals have no official duties.