Ladies' Day at the SpeeDee Lube?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So I was driving along one of the major roads in my town and saw that the SpeeDee Lube had declared Tuesdays 'Ladies' Day' and was offering them $6 off an oil change.

Can they do that? If a guy walks in today and wants his oil changed for $6 less than he'd get it done tomorrow, don't they have to give him the same deal any woman would get?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bars and clubs have been giving special deals to women for years.

And senior citizens often get a discount.

I wonder if good ol' SpeeDee Lube is planning to tell every woman that comes in that she needs a new filter. "See how dirty your air filter is, ma'am. We can replace it if you'd like for only $39.95" ;-)

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Y'know, I expected something completely different from the thread title...

Eh, never mind.

Umm, yeah, I know people have been giving discounts to select groups of people (this time women) for years and years. I'm not sure what the legal situation is around that...

It's probably solid. I mean, I'm sure some guy has sued a bar before for giving women half-priced drinks while he has to pay full price. And if the practice continues, then I'm assuming the suing guy got nowhere.

/educated guess

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I mean, yeah, I know about the bars' subsidy of morning after regret and STDs, but in this case, I just don't see how I guy could go into the SpeeDee Lube and say, "My sister told me you have a special on oil changes, today." And they say, "Yeah, but not for people with outdoor plumbing."

I just don't see how they can do that.

Y'know, I expected something completely different from the thread title...

And, yes, even reading the sign bent my brain a little. You're welcome.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm.

I shall ask my retail lecturer when I next see her. It doesn't sound quite right to me either, but it's outside my area of expertise.

I mean, by all rights it should fall into the category of "Discrimination" - though I'm sure any defense lawyers would probably try to turn it around to say that they were trying to do something nice for a social group, instead of doing something bad for everyone else.

Personally, I think a lot of preferential treatment still falls under the banner of discrimination, just with perhaps more defendable reasons for it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Not that I think there is a defense for it - but if it's done under the guise of doing something nice, then it enters a grey area in comparison to out-and-out discrimination...