How much would you charge

Nikki_Blaise

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I have been writing erotic short stories, with the intention of putting them into longer ebooks, but I have been approached by someone who wants me to write him a private story to his specs, and he would pay for it.

I asked did he want to buy the copyright or could I reuse it afterwards, and he said that I could reuse it.

Length would be between about 2,500 and 4,000 words.

My plan is to ask for an amount of x per word, and ask for a fixed amount to be paid up front, with the remainder paid once the story is completed, the balance dependent on the final length.

He would not be allowed to publish this story at all - it would be for his own personal consumption only.

How does that sound, and what should my x amount per word be, as an unpublished writer?

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In this situation you ask what the market will bear. This depends on how specific the kink is and how rich they guy is.

You might try asked Donna Barr, she had a client like this and is very approachable.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
This is really strange. He's willing to pay you to write a private story for him, but he's not interested in the copyright and would allow you to reuse the story afterwards (and allow you to put the copyright in your name). Not that it's your concern, but he's really not buying a private story, is he?

How much to charge him? I really don't know because this isn't a "normal" ghostwriting type of request or anything near it. This is a case where I'd really go for as much as I could. You know the guy, you have some idea of his financial condition, and you know -- or can sense -- how badly he wants you to write this for him. I wouldn't break the fee down by word. I think that doing so makes it sound like more money than the totality is. Since you don't know if 2,500 words or 4,000, I think the premise on what you ask for should be based on 4,000 words. Next, I'd decide how much time I would have to devote to the project in order to complete it. For the sake of example, let's say 3 months. If that's the case, how much money is 3 months of your creative time worth, and how difficult will this project be for you? Objectively, I'd say a low of $10,000 to $15,000 and a high of $25,000, based on a 3 month project.

DoingWhatILove

Registered
Reaction score
Three months to write 4,000 words?

I'd figure out how long you think it'll take you to write the story, and then price it out to $20/hour. That's how I handle my projects.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It's "private" more in the sense of "tailored" in that it meets his specific personal needs in an erotic story. Often meaning it relates to a subject rarely written about at the professional level, like Barr's equine transformation stories.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Given that he's leaving you publication rights, I'd probably charge, at most, the going rate for professional erotica stories -- which is around 5 - 10 cents per word, yes?

Nikki_Blaise

Registered
Reaction score
It's "private" more in the sense of "tailored" in that it meets his specific personal needs in an erotic story. Often meaning it relates to a subject rarely written about at the professional level, like Barr's equine transformation stories.

This is how I see it also - if he was buying all rights, then it would be more. From preliminary discussions I don't think it will be so kinky that I can't reuse it, but I don't think he'd be willing to pay $10,000 somehow - which is a shame, as that would be cool!

Thanks for the input guys - it's really appreciated. I think I need to price this one low and see it as a bonus.

Nikki_Blaise

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I've sent him a quote, based on the lower end of the 5-10c a word, as it would be my first professional piece.

*fingers crossed*

@veinglory - I did check our Donna Barr's blog but she's just lost her cat so I didn't like to bother her - made me cry though :(

pbook

Registered
Reaction score
A buck is a buck though, right?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There is a balance between 'how much could I make' and 'how much would I take'. That is one reason I like to ask the client what the most the would pay is. If it is too low, a lot of time is saved.

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
This is really strange. He's willing to pay you to write a private story for him, but he's not interested in the copyright and would allow you to reuse the story afterwards (and allow you to put the copyright in your name). Not that it's your concern, but he's really not buying a private story, is he?

How much to charge him? I really don't know because this isn't a "normal" ghostwriting type of request or anything near it. This is a case where I'd really go for as much as I could. You know the guy, you have some idea of his financial condition, and you know -- or can sense -- how badly he wants you to write this for him. I wouldn't break the fee down by word. I think that doing so makes it sound like more money than the totality is. Since you don't know if 2,500 words or 4,000, I think the premise on what you ask for should be based on 4,000 words. Next, I'd decide how much time I would have to devote to the project in order to complete it. For the sake of example, let's say 3 months. If that's the case, how much money is 3 months of your creative time worth, and how difficult will this project be for you? Objectively, I'd say a low of $10,000 to $15,000 and a high of $25,000, based on a 3 month project.

15,000 dollars for a short short story from a not-previously-published author? And 3 months to write what should take a week?

I've never heard anything so outrageous.

I was expecting suggestions of prices a MAXIMUM of 200 dollars, considering you retain all rights.

One of the greatest pitfalls I see in aspiring authors is the belief that they have immediately earned a massive payday before ever writing one published work. Sometimes we need to prove ourselves before making it big. Heck, charging 15,000 dollars for what takes an absolute maximum of a month of work is tantamount to charging 180 thousand dollars a year for your work.

I do suffer from an overinflated ego at times but I could never convince myself as a young author that I justify that expendature.

Last edited: