Help me rescue this cute baby animal

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
"Cute" might be relative. We found this little guy outside. Fortunately it's been very warm because he has no fur.

2jbu0z7.jpg

He's very active for a sleepy baby whatever-he-is. He stretches his little legs and makes a big YAWN. But he's a little scraped up, like maybe something was rough with him.

What is he and how do I take care of him? I'm thinking some kind of rodent. Help!

ETA: For now I'm going to say he's a squirrel. Thanks for helping me figure it out, guys. Opossum almost looked right, but I think a squirrel is what we have here. If he miraculously survives and grows up, then we'll find out for sure what he is. Maybe he's a land dolphin!

Last edited:

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
Baby possum?

Hmm... idk. For reference, I live in Maine. That might narrow down some possibilities. And he's only as big as my thumb. Much smaller than the baby kittens my cat has had. I'm worried about even touching him if he might be diseased. :(

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how to care for it, but I second the suggestion that it's an infant opossum. It's probably too small to survive away from its mother. I suppose you might try infant formula with an eyedropper.

Edit: here's a pic of opossum mother and child: http://207.223.254.55/site_media/images/animals/Pinky & Silky Opossum.JPG

Maryn, thinking it really needs hair to be cute

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
It is an opossum. If you Google newborn possum, the first image that shows up looks exactly like your picture.

You might try some dog milk replacement or something. Contact a local vet and see if they are any wildlife rehab peoples who might be able to help.

T, who has a fond spot in her heart for baby opossums after saving multiples babies of the little critters

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, look up newborn baby possums under images. I think that's what it looks like.

I also saw in the search an article on how to take care of a baby possum.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
Should I take care of it? Or is the risk that it is diseased too great? I don't think I could bear to let it starve, though.

ETA: btw I agree it looks like an opposum. I'd better look into that.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
Shoot, I'm not sure if it is an opossum anymore.

I was reading this guide to raising orphaned opossums http://www.opossum.org/orphans.htm

And then I saw this:

[SIZE=+1] If the pinky animal that you have found was laying in the yard, or has a high pitched cry, or opens its mouth wide, it is probably not an opossum, but these first aid instructions will aid any small pinky mammal until you can get help.[/SIZE]

All three of those conditions apply here.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
It's a squirrel.

I think it very well could be.

I don't know what to do! It's hurt too! But it still seems so very lively. It needs to eat something. Eeeeek. :'(

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the little guy yawning

10qwkdt.jpg

And here you can see his size compared to a quarter, and also this big wound on his shoulder! Looks like something maybe tried to eat him a while ago. Despite it, like I've said, he's very lively.

261cies.jpg

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
definitely get some milk substitute and a small syringe with a tube feed, like the possum pic. Then ask a vet what to do.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've passed him back to the neighbor who found him. She was considering putting him back in the grass, but I convinced her not to. Too many cats, and I'm pretty sure the mother won't be coming back for him. Plus I told her that if it's a squirrel, it seems like it'll have a pretty good chance of surviving, so long as he doesn't go hungry. So she's going to try feeding him some milk.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed and keep us posted!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
It's a squirrel.
I'm pretty sure it's a newborn squirrel also. I've seen them a number of times at that stage of development, and there's simply no hope for its survival.

The mother most likely abandoned it due to its injury, as squirrels won't tolerate feeble offspring.

The most humane way to end its suffering would have been to whack it with the broad side of a shovel; sounds cruel, I know, but not as unkind as a lingering, painful death, which is what the animal is experiencing now, regardless of the best care and intentions of its human handlers.

It would be surprising, miraculous even, if the squirrel managed to survive for more than a few days...

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You should call animal control and ask if there is a wild life rehabilitator in your area. If there is get the animal to them immediately. They are trained to handle these types of cases, and the baby "whatever it is" has the best chance in the hands of a professional.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's a newborn squirrel also. I've seen them a number of times at that stage of development, and there's simply no hope for its survival.

The mother most likely abandoned it due to its injury, as squirrels won't tolerate feeble offspring.

The most humane way to end its suffering would have been to whack it with the broad side of a shovel; sounds cruel, I know, but not as unkind as a lingering, painful death, which is what the animal is experiencing now, regardless of the best care and intentions of its human handlers.

It would be surprising, miraculous even, if the squirrel managed to survive for more than a few days...

Miraculous maybe. I just couldn't stand to kill it with a shovel. It already survived an attack by a cat or something. It could survive. If not, at least it was loved and not left outside. *bleeding heart mode*

You should call animal control and ask if there is a wild life rehabilitator in your area. If there is get the animal to them immediately. They are trained to handle these types of cases, and the baby "whatever it is" has the best chance in the hands of a professional.

yes, apparently they tried calling but were basically told that they should just put the animal back in the grass, which pretty much means "let it die".

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did they talk to animal control or to the wildlife rehabilitator? If it is the former, then call around some vet offices and ask who in the area does wildlife rehabilitation. If it is the latter, they shouldn't be doing the work.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure, to be honest. It's too late at night to ask them. If it survives to morning, I'll ask them about it.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Miraculous maybe. I just couldn't stand to kill it with a shovel. It already survived an attack by a cat or something. It could survive. If not, at least it was loved and not left outside. *bleeding heart mode*
Though I'm not an expert, that injury doesn't seem to have resulted from a cat, which would've put the squirrel out of it misery instantly. It most likely happened due to a fall from its nest, or some other mishap besides predation.
...yes, apparently they tried calling but were basically told that they should just put the animal back in the grass, which pretty much means "let it die".
See what I mean?

Whack it with a shovel: quick death.

Put it back in the grass: slow, lingering and painful death.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
Though I'm not an expert, that injury doesn't seem to have resulted from a cat, which would've put the squirrel out of it misery instantly. It most likely happened due to a fall from its nest, or some other mishap besides predation.
See what I mean?

Whack it with a shovel: quick death.

Put it back in the grass: slow, lingering and painful death.

but cuddle it in a towel and feed it milk = chance of life, even if it's a low probability. The above choices are 100% death! You're going to make me cry and kill my optimism. I know it'll probably die anyway. but but but... *covers ears and hums Ke$ha*