PDA

View Full Version : Those who've bought stock photos, what rights did you purchase?

shelleyo
07-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Each site states it all a little differently.

What rights would you suggest for an ebook cover in which the photo may be enhanced or altered, but won't ever be used in print?

What's the average price you've paid for _x_ rights for ebook cover only?

Thanks!

Shelley

veinglory
07-19-2011, 01:12 AM
Unless you expect to sell a million copies, the basic package at the major sites is sufficient for that purpose.

shelleyo
07-21-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks. I think I have a brain block on this topic, because I'm not stupid, but when I look at the rights statements I come away unsure. Each site does it differently, which doesn't help. I expected it to cost much more, maybe that's why I'm so uncertain.

Shelley

veinglory
07-21-2011, 03:13 AM
If you are looking a istock, shutterstock etc the basic package allows you to use the picture as part of your product without paying any further royalties up to a certain number of copies sold, from memory that is somewhere around 50,000. If you happen to tip over that number you just need to go back and buy an extended license. Use of the picture as thumbnails or in advertising is not counted towards those copies.

FOTSGreg
07-24-2011, 09:51 PM
I think I paid something like $20 for the rights to 3 stock photos I just had to have for a trio of my short stories. That included membership which got me several royalty free photos as well.

Not sure right now if that was at iStock (though that's where my bookmark goes).

KathleenD
07-30-2011, 06:20 AM
iStockphoto's license is good for 499,999 copies of the book.

Should that glorious day arrive where I need to shell out the $175 to get the "extended license," I promise you'll hear me cackling from wherever you're sitting ;)