Safe house / Witness protection?

kyliesmiley16

Registered
Reaction score
My story takes place in Australia over about three weeks and I'm finding it difficult to find a bit of information on this. My MC seems to fit the criteria of someone in need of witness protection: he is in danger because he has helped the police service with information on my antagonist. I was wondering what that could mean for my MC?

I've read people can be relocated, sometimes be given a new identity, sometimes extending to relatives. This is something I don't really want, although I'm not against relocation, I really don't want to have to give him a new identity. Would he be watched by guards 24/7? Would he still be able to go out and would he have someone with him?

The problem being, I still want my antagonist to be able to contact my MC and to be able to put him in physical danger, without making the police look bad (although one cop wouldn't matter so much, I want to make it look like they're doing everything they can to protect him). My antagonist has been stalking and threatening him, etc. Is there something that could delay the process, something that could exclude him from getting protection? I've read it can take several weeks to be admitted into the witness protection program, but temporary protection can be offered almost immediately - which I don't really want my poor MC to get!

I originally had a safe house delayed for him because the boss wouldn't give it the all clear, even though he obviously needed it, and it was broken into anyway when he got it, but that idea just seems corny and it's not working. My MC is on really good terms with at least one of the policemen, but they just don't seem to be returning the favour right now because he's an utter wreck :tongue

Any help is appreciated, even if it's not Australia-specific just to give me a general idea of my choices :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how it works in Australia, but in the US, it's in books and movies all the time. There's even a current TV show about witness protection.

Assuming the gist of what's in books and on screens is fact-based, nobody is forced to accept the witness protection program. Those who do rarely take more than the immediate nuclear family--Mom, Dad, Bud, and Sis. Parents, cousins, lifelong friends, etc. never hear from you again, unless you violate the rules.

And many people do, compromising their safety by arranging to meet someone on a trip away from both their homes, or coming to a hospital to see a parent one last time.

Those who refuse to have their lives upended by moving to Podunk, where they have to abandon their usual appearance and no longer pursue their usual interests, may be under guard at a safe house or hotel until they have given testimony at trial and until the trial ends, but after that, they're most often on their own. Some foolishly resume their lives right where they are, and pay the ultimate price. Others move and change the way they look, hoping to escape detection. Some have the means to travel the globe, never staying in one place for long, or have their appearance surgically altered.

So I suspect that if you want your bad guy to be able to get at your MC, you can probably just have the MC refuse to enter witness protection. He might be guarded for a time, but not forever.

I like the idea of him moving, or changing, or both, but not enough to avoid the villain completely.

Maryn, who likes thrillers

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Don’t know about Australia, but in the US and Canada. The WPP is a lengthy process, Not something to be put in place in a few days or weeks. The person entering it will be relocated at great distance, a location where s/he’s not known; not allowed to travel to danger area (but in the presence of RCMP or Marshals), not allowed to contact former family or friends. They might be brought back to testify, kept at a safe location, but under protection.
A such WPP person won’t be able to do what you want from your character.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
When I was in the Tactical Team in London UK I had to look after a protected witness giving evidence against an organized crime boss, a contract had been put out on the guy and supposedly picked up by a former south-African Special Forces guy. This is how I approached it:

The witness was living in Cyprus under an assumed name with his girlfriend.
I used 2 teams, one for the day shift and one for the night shift, I booked 3 rooms in a small hotel at the end of a corridor on the third floor with access to the stairwell which I had alarmed and had night vision cameras installed along with cameras watching the hall approach to the rooms. The room at the end was a control room, the one in the middle contained the witness and the one the other side contained those members of the team that were not watching the monitors or patrolling. It was all done in plain clothes and a covert armored SUV was parked in the lot close to the stairwell emergency exit. Long story short. The witness was delivered to us by his 'handler' who was the only person that knew his true identity and where he lived. Unbeknown to me at the time the witness who had second thoughts about divorcing his wife was using a cell phone to contact her, he told her his new name and where we were staying etc. She was still friendly with the old crew against whom he was giving evidence. Luckily I had a second safe house as a contingency and we had to up roots and move on. It all went smoothly after that and the guy got 12 years. I for one couldn't wait to hand the witness back to his handler as he was a pain in the butt.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Will your MC need long term protection, or just until after the trial?

Long term is when they create new identities, short term would be as Steve described.

Sometimes they just have cops inside and outside the person's house,.

kyliesmiley16

Registered
Reaction score
They believe my MC only needs protection until the trial, it's not until later in the second book they realise he may still be in danger. So yes, just temporary I suppose.

I can't see him wanting to violate the rules, so maybe a safe house/hotel is the way to go. Would they usually have specialized police to guard him? How would they determine how many guards are needed? Also, are their close friends allowed to know if they're moving/going into hiding (well if they cut all contact) or would that be considered another risk and basically have to disappear with no explanation?

Thank you for your responses so far :)

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd avoid using or referencing any established WitSec program. In the US, it's a classified program. Anything you might read or see on television is at best speculation - however plausible it might appear.

USDOJ/USMS does not cooperate or even comment in this regard.

Temporary protection for a threatened (state) witness is up to the prosecutor and investigating police department. It actually is a fairly common situation. However, it will always be temporary because it's expensive.

For what you have in mind, I'd recommend keeping it that simple.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
In the U.S. the police don't have the time, manpower, or budget to protect everyone who gives them some information, or who is in danger for any reason. The best you get, in most circumstances, is a patrol car passing your house once or twice a night. If the District Attorney wants you kept safe until trial, they MIGHT do better by you - or not. As I said, it comes down to $. Being assigned a 24-hr. guard? Fat chance!

A witness protection program is sometimes available but the person should make the arrangement BEFORE agreeing to testify - for obvious reasons. In that case, the witness and family would be given new identities and relocated.

I knew a couple whose daughter ended up in the witness protection program when her drug dealer lover decided to turn against his buddies. For a long while they (her parents) had no idea where she'd disappeared to. Last time I talked to them, they still didn't know where the daughter was, but by then, they had talked to her on the phone one time. The police had taken them to a phone and waited while the call came in.

Anyway, over here, your MC would have infinite ways and means of getting himself into danger.

smokyhollow

Registered
Reaction score
Oh well watching lots of films, I guess I am only seeing the basics of how WPP works. Generally packing stuff,relocating, given new identities. But what if there is another recourse like this which can easily track down relatives, friends or any member of the family. They say old identities need to be stricken from all records, but how can a witness be assured? With our advanced hacking system? I doubt it.

Seriously, i am curious how this really works. It's really interesting how a person's identity can be changed just like that. And i heard fingerprint reclassification is involved as well?? Amazing.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The program works; virtually every aspect is classified.

Any attempt to penetrate the reality, be it digital or otherwise, will get you noticed. You really do not want that.

Stick to your imagination, and speculate to your heart's content.

On a lighter note... Of course, some say that should your speculation veer too close, you may receive a visit from some very serious people.

kyliesmiley16

Registered
Reaction score
For what you have in mind, I'd recommend keeping it that simple.

Thank you, that was what I was hoping for - just a simple, temporary solution for my MC. I certainly wouldn't use the names of any established programs - I had enough trouble doing that with real suburbs :p Now I try to keep places and stuff fictional, or unnamed.

Any attempt to penetrate the reality, be it digital or otherwise, will get you noticed. You really do not want that.

Stick to your imagination, and speculate to your heart's content.

On a lighter note... Of course, some say that should your speculation veer too close, you may receive a visit from some very serious people.

Wow, serious stuff! Stop asking questions and run away now, hehe. Shall definitely stick to my imagination but was just after a bit of general background. Certainly glad I've never been in that sort of situation, must be so hard! I appreciate the help, thank you :)