Sandcastles/sand sculptures?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently writing a middle grade novel with a coastal town setting, and one of my characters builds amazing sandcastles/scuptures. Unfortunately, the only sandcastle I ever attempted to build was more mound-of-sand than castle. And I live in Middle America, far from the ocean.

What are the tools that are generally used? How long does a large, well-done castle last in good weather? Any insider terminology I should know? Any tips/thoughts/advice/pictures/links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:Sun:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've googled and whatnot. I'm looking more for firsthand accounts. Thanks, though. All help is appreciated! :)

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I have never seen anyone use anything except a plastic bucket and shovel, the normal chidren's tools for playing in sand. As I understand it, many sandcastle contests require that nothing except those tools be used, but I haven't looked at such contess for a long time.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm... Unless you can find someone on this board who does that, you might be out of luck.....

How about you email the guy in the second link and ask him?

Last edited:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
The sand castle lasts until the next high tide, or if you build above the normal high tide mark, the next high-high tide (at full moon) or next coastal storm.

But sand does dry out and the castle or artwork might start to get crumbly before then. It's a shame; some of the sculptures are gorgeous.