U.K. legal problem.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I did check with a solicitor who said my idea was possible. Alas a recent crit reader who is a legal clerk says no.

So I would welcome further information before rewriting the story yet again!

The elderly mother dies. Her will states that she has left all money, property etc in three equal shares to her three children and a codecil asks that each grandchild be given a small sum of money. One daughter is the executor. She claims there is nothing left of the estate but there is the money in a savings account for the grandchildren. So is the executor correct in handing out the money to the grandchildren or should it be counted as part of the estate?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
IANAL
Does the will specifically say that the money held in the savings account should go to the grandchildren? If so, then that is what will happen. If not then I think the money in the savings account will be treated as part of the estate to be divided between the heirs.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's all in the detail. If you gave the solicitor specific details he should have been able to answer you. The "possible" response suggests to me he was not given full details of the situation.

...'for the grandchildren' is vague.

Depending upon how the Account was opened, the funds are either regarded as held in trust for named grandchildren, or not. Who has possession of the relative pass book (if any) may also be relevant.

And the UK has several legal systems.

Last edited:

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
A will is not absolute.There is an order of entitlement .It could be a problem if one of the other children ,of the elderly mother,contested the decision to pay the grandchildren.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
The solicitor is absolutely correct and shows the difference between a clerk and the solicitor.

If the bank account is set up for "Elderly grandmother and grandchild," then it is a joint account, and immediately upon the death of the elderly grandmother, the grandchild obtains title to the account. The account never enters the grandmother's estate.

If the bank account is set up for "Elderly grandmother" then the account goes into her estate and is controlled by the will and the codecil.

If the bank account is set up for "Elderly grandmother or grandchild," the situation becomes a bit more complicated, and I'm not sure how English law deals with the situation.

This is possibility number one.

Second possibility is that the codecil says that the grandchildren should be paid first and the remainder going to the children. People taking under the remainder clause are always subject to specific bequests in the will. For example, A inherits under the remainder clause. B has a specific bequest of $10,000. Decadent dies with $9,000. B gets paid the entire amount and A gets nothing. But if Decadent dies with $100,000, that B gets $10,000 and A gets $90,000.

So just off the top of my head I can come up with two ways the solicitor is correct. There may be others, but these are probably the most common.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
Is there going to be an argument about it? If the heirs agree, it's not that difficult simply to alter what's done. "Let's consider this money in this account to be what she intended for the grandchildren" would seem like a nice easy way to do it.

I know when my baby daughter's great-grandmother died, the executors made sure that my daughter got the item (a piece of silverware) that great-granny had intended to give her, even though it wasn't in the will. (executors were family members). Not sure what would have happened if one of them had said they didn't want her to have it.

It was still part of the estate, though.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Ah ha!

My plot stands! Thank you everyone.

And, yes, Bufty, I know there is separate legal system for Scotland. I should have specified England but I've become so used to writing UK on this AW board in an effort to teach the many posters who think England = the UK.

Last edited:

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
It does help if you specify which part of the UK, as the law is so varied.