• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

What do you do when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celesta

loves writing :)
Registered
Reaction score
you feel like you just can't write but you don't know why? I had a really bad case of that this week. It's not like I don't have any good ideas. It's more like I'm just utterly frozen. Like I can't even begin. And I have a short story due tomorrow evening and I haven't even started anything!!!! Help!

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this is kind of eleventh hour, but this is what I do sometimes when that happens:

I start writing beginning with something like:

I don't know what's the matter with me. I can't seem to start writing. All week I've been this way and I just don't understand why. I'm having trouble starting this story and it's a great story about this character who . . .

Then, I chop off the first parts where I was detailing my angst or whatever, keep the actual story and clean it up.

The thing is you just HAVE to write through. Write gibberish if you have to. Just start writing and the story will take over after your mind calms and focuses.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Sort of like the above ..
summarize all you know about what you can't figure out what to write about. Then pick and choose what you want to keep and write the story around this skeleton.

vivalalauren

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the poster above. I know it's frustratingly vague to hear that over and over, but sometimes the only thing you can do is to start writing.

Often, I'll start working on other projects, and find myself inspired for the one that's actually due. Unless it's a paper. ;)

Celesta

Registered
Reaction score
Why does this not work for me!? Ahhhh!

Celesta

Registered
Reaction score
I agonize over the thing until almost the deadline and then suddenly I 'can' write and I have to rush to get it done and sometimes it's late. That's not cool. This must be some weird mental thing. I don't like/believe in procrastinating. What's up with this?

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Are you a perfectionist? I've been told that perfectionists often put off starting things because they're afraid it won't be perfect. Leaving it to the last minute is a psychological "trick" to give yourself an excuse as to why it's not perfect. "Oh, I did it in a rush, if I'd had more time it would've been better!"

*puts psychologist's hat on* What are the thought processes that surround the feeling of "I can't write!"? What are the emotions?

Celesta

Registered
Reaction score
hmm...perhaps. I do feel afraid to start, afraid that it won't be any good. But I usually end up really liking what I write.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I need to write, then that's what I have to set myself up to do.

Sit down for a specific length of time--15 minutes, 1/2 hour, hour, all afternoon, whatever.

You are there to write. No games, no internet, no "quick check" for anything, no music, no TV, no nothing. You are there to write.

Do not allow yourself to do anything but write. If you catch yourself doing something else, the time starts over. You are there to write.

Sometimes your brain is like a small child--it wants to do ANYTHING but what it's supposed to. It's a spoiled brat. If you stick to the plan, then your brain will do the work. It might be slow at first, but it will work. It's not pleasant, but when you have to do it, you can do it.

Good luck.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
hmm...perhaps. I do feel afraid to start, afraid that it won't be any good. But I usually end up really liking what I write.
I combat critical thoughts by writing down positive things people say about me/my writing, and by keeping a record of all the positive reviews and feedback I've received. I have it saved and when I feel bad about writing I go and read feedback from people who said they loved it. It really helps.

The first draft of anything doesn't have to be good. It's allowed to be rough. Try taking the pressure off yourself by diminishing what you're doing: "I'm just going to get a few rough ideas down; I'm just going to vomit words onto the page and see what happens; I'm just going to write this purely for myself as a warm-up exercise".

I have a HUGE problem with tackling things (World Class Procrastinator) and I usually find it's because I big it up in my mind too much. I combat this by mentally diminishing things. I also find it helps to go "I'll just take a quick, five-minute peek at this" or "Lemme just jot a few ideas down really quickly". Because five minutes feels like nothing, and you're not really doing it you're just, you know, warming up to do it, or taking a glance at it. This "I'll just do five minutes" approach really helps me get started on things.

Nothing has to be perfect first time so don't be afraid of starting. I try and make a point of consciously feeling good and proud when I do something arduous (I look at my lovely clean living room and go "This looks great! I love how tidy this is!") It makes those positive feelings easier to recall. Try to become more aware and conscious of how GOOD it feels to have that story finished, and how much you like what you write. Reward yourself when it gets done: either with a physical reward or treat (chocolate, a massage, an afternoon off to slob out and watch your favourite movies) or just a mental pat on the back and a pep talk to yourself. This gradually makes the tasks you have to tackle rewarding to complete, because each time you get it done you give yourself a warm, positive feeling and "treat" yourself. Also, as you become more aware of the postive feelings, you can recall them when you're feeling unmotivated. So when you don't feel like writing you can easily recall how good it feels and how positive you feel when you actually do it, and use this to motivate yourself.

Other things that might help:
1. Build up 'momentum' by doing something a bit easier, then switch quickly to working on your story.
2. Give yourself a goal to spend 15/20 mins on writing, and when you finish reward yourself.
3. Visualise the task completed: visualise or imagine the complete story, and use the momentum from the visualisation to kick-start working on it for real.
4. Focus by using some meditative breathing (just concentrate on your breath and try to slow and calm it). Then calmly lay out what you're going to do. When you feel calm and settled, tackle the task.
5. Incentivize yourself by offering a reward: "If I write two-thousand words I can have a chocolate bar and a warm bubble bath" or whatever.

I don't like some of these but everyone's different so they might work for you. Just try to challenge your fears and remind yourself how much you enjoy writing and how much you (and other people) like what you eventually come up with. Good luck!

Last edited:

Celesta

Registered
Reaction score
I like the record of positive feedback idea. Thanks, I think I'll try that.

tedi.s

Demigods, wolves, & Vamps... Oh my!
Registered
Reaction score
I start writing beginning with something like:

I don't know what's the matter with me. I can't seem to start writing. All week I've been this way and I just don't understand why. I'm having trouble starting this story and it's a great story about this character who . . .

Then, I chop off the first parts where I was detailing my angst or whatever, keep the actual story and clean it up.

I LOVE IT!!!!! Thank you! :kiss:

BobbyKing

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bobbykingforever.blogspot.com
I have encountered such predicament many times...

Usually in times like these, I found myself to be rushing things, trying to keep up with some deadlines or too many things to do in my mind.. I abhor such state of low productivity

What I did is to flee; go to a place where I can be myself (usually the public library), limited distraction and maneuver my way back again. It usually takes time but it works for me.

GFanthome

At the computer, opening a vein
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Grab a pad of Post-it notes and write 5 careers, 5 everyday situations, and the names of 5 people. Then take the most outrageous of each and write a story about them. It can work wonders!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I write a piece of fanfiction. It's usually easier, little to no pressure, and all the world-building is handled for me. Then, once back in writing mode, I can work on the other stuff.

rhetoric by rosalie

Registered
Reaction score
Grab a pad of Post-it notes and write 5 careers, 5 everyday situations, and the names of 5 people. Then take the most outrageous of each and write a story about them. It can work wonders!

What a great idea for dealing with writer's block. Think I'll have to try it. I often have a problem getting started, and prompting seems to break up the monotony. :poke:

davem

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score

This sounds so simple, but I've had success, although I used different topics.

dacraig

Registered
Reaction score
This Goethe quote has always inspired me, enough that it's posted on the wall.

'Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!'

Check out this translation by John Anster of Faust quote.

Then indecision brings its own delays,
And days are lost lamenting over lost days.
Are you in earnest? Seize this very minute;
What you can do, or dream you can do, begin it;
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.

You appear to be lamenting lost time. Start dreaming you can do it and begin. Get in the zone baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.