Do you know, how much is 180 cm, 70 kg?

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Do you, who use feet, inches, pounds, gallons and ounces, know immediately, how much is:

180 cm
70 kg
2 L (liters)

or you have to actually recalculate them into your units to get the right impression?

Wiskel

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
High above the rooftops...swinging from web to web
I have a working knowledge of both sets of measures so long as they're in the normal range of day to day experience. Gallons are the exception as pretty much nothing is sold in gallons. petrol used to be but it's almost entirely in litres now, as such i never have a gallon of something in my hands.

If they were huge quantities I'd probably convert back and forwards and that would help me

Craig

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Most people will have a pretty good idea of liters, as most of our bottled drinks are sold in metric.

For meters and grams, it really varies by the individual. Those with a background either in science or buying illegal drugs will be more likely to be familiar with the metric system.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I immediately know centimeters and liters (many items in the US, such as soft drinks and liquor are sold in milliliters and liters). I have to do just a little mental arithmetic for kilograms.

Many older people in the US would have to have a conversion chart to actually convert from metric to the units used here. They grew up not using metric at all. And, as kuwisdelu mentioned, people in science and other fields are much more likely to have used or be relatively familiar with metric units.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
And if I say it's 30°C outside and my body temperature is 36.5°C? Do American thermometers have only Fahrenheit scales?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And if I say it's 30°C outside and my body temperature is 36.5°C? Do American thermometers have only Fahrenheit scales?

Many have both scales.

Anyone familiar with centigrade (Celsius) knows that 0 is freezing (water, at a certain pressure) and 100 is boiling in centigrade (compared to 32 and 212 in Fahrenheit), so they can make a quick mental estimation between the two scales. Most would need to do a calculation for an exact temperature (for example, the normal body temperature in Fahrenheit is 98.6; I couldn't automatically tell you what that number is in centigrade without doing the calculation).

It's odd, but a few years ago most weather reports used both temperature scales, but now most only use Fahrenheit.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
The only metric your average American will know, imho, is a 2 or 3 Liter amount of liquid, because we have so many soft drinks sold that way.

Lots of folks will be familiar with more for various reasons, but I wouldn't rely on it (depending on the specific industry you are talking about).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was a big push in the US back in the 1970s to go ahead and eventually convert fully to metric, but that got put on the back burner, so now it's something of a hodgepodge. Some things are in Imperial units, some in metric. At one time all road signs had to be in both miles and kilometers, but the law was retracted.

Anyone who has ever taken a class in physics spends a lot of time converting between the systems.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's for health writing...body measures, food serving sizes...

Strictly for a US audience? Or both US and European?

I would do it in both units if it's for a US and European audience. It's easy enough to do.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
For the English speaking world, which means mostly for Americans, yes. I do use both mililiters and ounces. I was thinking if I can use kilograms without pounds...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking if I can use kilograms without pounds...

I wouldn't. I would use both. Kilogram is probably the least used metric measurement in the US, except for drugs and grams of small amounts. Almost anything having to do with body weight is referred to in pounds.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Food can be weird over here. We still seem to prefer ounces, but the grams are usually also listed. We count grams of fat, carbs, etc. for sure when looking at whether to eat a food or not. And calories, of course.

Most body measurements seem to be in Imperial, and we still think of our weight in pounds, in general. Food weights really are more of a mix, because of packaging, I think, mainly.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I know a good conversion site. I can just about do centimetres because 30 cm is give-or-take a foot. And a litre of water is a pint and three quarters? Heck, when an American gives their weight in pounds, I can't even make that into stones. It's a shame to confess to this.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I remember the metric push, but the problem was we never got rid of the old measurements. I think if we'd had road signs in kilometers without miles, people would have figured it out pretty fast. As it was, it was like trying to learn a foreign language by using a dictionary and converting everything, rather than natural conversation. Nobody bothered learning metric because the old, familiar measurements were still around.

It's not just older people. I have seen kids' rulers in the stores that don't even have centimeters on them, just inches. Except at the doctor's, and then only sometimes, weight is in pounds. Temperature is always in fahrenheit. Most people would be baffled to say what a comfortable cesius temperature would be. 30? You're kidding.

It made traveling in Canada challenging, at first. It was very easy, however, to pick up metric when there was no alternative. That's what the US should have done.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
So, Canada uses metric measures in everything?

But the UK and Australia are pretty much the same as the US?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I remember when the UK converted to metric, insofar as we ever have. We were told that our maths lessons would all be in metric from now on. Then we opened our textbooks. All the problems etc. were in Imperial. We never did get new textbooks.

Here I think we have a massive generation gap. People from before my generation who learnt only Imperial, people of my generation who half-learnt both metric and Imperial and are pretty incompetent in both, and people who've learnt only metric. Except that some things are still Imperial, like miles per hour. Can you say mess?

I seem to remember an air crash involving a Canadian crew where the cause was fuel starvation, due to the crew having problems converting between different systems. But my book is 224 miles away.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to remember an air crash involving a Canadian crew where the cause was fuel starvation, due to the crew having problems converting between different systems. But my book is 224 miles away.

As I recall, one of the NASA Mars probes crashed because part of the programming was written using metric and part using Imperial, and no one noticed. Oops.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
As I recall, one of the NASA Mars probes crashed because part of the programming was written using metric and part using Imperial, and no one noticed. Oops.

Oh, yeah, I remember reading about that. At least only a few Martian microbes died in that one.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I don't know if Canada uses metric in everything, but it sure seemed that way when we've traveled there. All the road signs are in kilometers -- I had never even noticed, until we drove in Canada, that our car had a kilometer scale on its speedometer. My family played a conversion game to help keep our speed legal -- Ooh, we're doing eighty, sort of thing. I suspect Canadians are used to confused USers. I got the kilogram conversion exactly backwards, and the grocery deli counter guy gently suggested I might mean a half-kilo of sliced roast beef rather than four kilos, when I was grocery shopping.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good thing it wasn't a manned mission to Mars.

"Careful, Captain. We only twenty kilometers from the Marian surface!"

"Kilometers? I thought the gauge was in miles. Uh oh."

"Ten kilometers! Sir!"

"Five kilometers!"

"Three kilo--"

"Mars One, do you read? This is Houston. Over."

"Mars One, do you read?"

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
If you are writing nutrition information for an American audience then I would highly recommend using ounces, cups, inches and pounds. The average American would have trouble with litres and metres and somewhat with grams.

Take a look at how Weight Watchers talks about serving sizes &ect.

Will you include recipes? British recipes require a LOT of conversion to be used in the US, plus equipment not often found in American kitchens (such as scales). Not to mention the difference between gas marks and degrees in the oven.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score

Australia has gone completely metric, as has NZ, to a greater degree than Canada and the UK and far more than the US.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score

Re: Canada
Not exactly.
In school nowadays, we learn the metric system. Our street signs use kilometers. Our weather reports show the temperature in celsius. *Officially*, we are metric.

Having said that, everyone refers to their weight in pounds and their height in feet/inches. (Even though our height is in centimeters on our drivers' license...or at least it is in Ontario.) Most people wouldn't know these things in metric off the top of their head...they'd have to convert.

Most people over maybe 50 will mainly use imperial measurements in daily conversation. Inches, etc. (My grandma has no concept of what a kg is. She bought a turkey and the weight was listed only in kg, and she had to put it on a scale to figure out how much it was in pounds because she didn't know the conversion.)

At the grocery store where I shop, prices are listed both in pounds and kg. The bigger number shown is pounds, and kg is listed in a smaller number underneath. But the receipt shows everything in kg. I think the exception is the deli counter, where prices are listed per 100g.