PDA

View Full Version : Swallow the Dog

newshirt
07-16-2011, 08:07 AM
I'm looking for one or two experienced writers to add some spit-polish and shine to my first chapter. The book is finished and well-edited, but I'd like all the extra polish I can get.

Of course, I will reciprocate the effort.

You can PM or reach me at: stdtime@hotmail.com

Here's a blurb of Swallow the Dog, set in 1877 Missouri:

Young Jeremiah Clark, the son of a Civil War hero who never lived to see his face, plows fields with his aging grandfather. They can only hope to clear two dollars a week in post-war Jackson County, Missouri. But even that isnít possible when U.S. Marshal, Daniel P. Upham heads Hiram Cantrell off to Leavenworth Prison on charges of murder.

But one Federal soldier returns to help the boy with his rebel grandfatherís trial. Turns out, the kindly old patriarch was a Quantrill Raider during the war, and plenty good at killing. The boy is drawn into a reckoning of his grandfatherís dark past, and comes of age by way of his own trials and tribulations.

bananamelissa
07-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Hey Ray, glad to see you're still at it! I just popped into AW today and saw this post. If anyone is interested in historical fiction I read this WIP and it's really great.

Feathers
07-19-2011, 02:52 AM
Ooh, darn. Historical fiction is really not my thing. But if you're just looking to get the first chapter shined, you may want to post it in Share Your Work area, as well :)

Good luck!
-Feathers

newshirt
07-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Ooh, darn. Historical fiction is really not my thing.
You really don't have to love HF to critique the chapter. Professional input is all I'm looking for. Can you put a creative twist on a so-so passage? Or suggest a few snazzy upgrades? Some polish and pizzazz? That's all I'm looking for. And, if you've got a WIP that could use some reciprocal input, I might be able to help you in return -- regardless of the genre.

Heck, anyone can survive a single chapter! Even historical fiction. ;)