PDA

View Full Version : Interviews for SoS

September skies
11-08-2005, 07:02 AM
Tomorrow is my first newspaper interview (second on Thursday) so I thought I'd have some handy information on Hurricane Katrina.

If you want to find some good info - numbers, etc. -
this is a good link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina
Here's an example of some of the info:
The official death toll now stands at 1,302 and the damage from $70 to $130 billion, topping Hurricane Andrew as the most expensive natural disaster in U.S. history. Over a million people were displaced — a humantarian crisis on a scale unseen in the U.S. since the Great Depression.

In Louisiana, the hurricane's eye made landfall at 6:10am CDT on Monday, August 29, After 11:00am CDT, several sections of the levee system in New Orleans collapsed. By early September, people were being forcibly evacuated, mostly by bus to neighboring states.

I know this is a lot of information, but it is good to jot down some numbers and have them handy for use with the media when talking about why this book is so important.

Mention our goals

And promote - promote - promote the book -

Wow...this is big. I am so honored to be a part of it.

Chuncky, thanks for making it simpler for me by putting all the numbers of book sales etc. up in the other threads.

JennaGlatzer
11-08-2005, 07:07 AM
I'm so proud of you! Kick some butt in that interview! We'll be here cheering you on. :)

Robert Villanueva, Jennifer Lawler, and I are going to be on a radio show soon, too. It tapes this Thursday, and I think it airs on Saturday afternoon. Beyond Words on KCLU, an NPR affiliate: 88.3 in Ventura County, 102.3 in Santa Barbara County, and on the web: www.kclu.org (http://www.kclu.org).

My local papers and TV station still do a fantastic job of ignoring me completely. ;) I think they all must have circulated a memo: "We hate that Jenna Glatzer girl. Let's run another article about the Boy Scouts' camping trip and make sure to never, ever give her even a paragraph of mention no matter what she does."

jdkiggins
11-08-2005, 07:12 AM
Congratulations September! Hope it goes well. :Clap:

September skies
11-08-2005, 07:20 AM
My local papers and TV station still do a fantastic job of ignoring me completely. ;) I think they all must have circulated a memo: "We hate that Jenna Glatzer girl. Let's run another article about the Boy Scouts' camping trip and make sure to never, ever give her even a paragraph of mention no matter what she does."

That's because they don't know how great you are. But they'll wake up and they'll be sorry some day and wish they had interviewed you from the start. :)

JennaGlatzer
11-08-2005, 07:22 AM
A few points for interviews on TV or radio--

-Make sure to mention the website as often as you can. www.storiesofstrength.com (http://www.storiesofstrength.com).

-Keep in mind the WIIFT factor: What's In It For Them? (The audience.) As much as you want to talk about all this great stuff we're doing, make sure you show them how they can be involved and get something out of it-- in this case, I'm pushing the "makes a great holiday gift" angle. They get to give a thoughtful gift AND they get to donate to relief efforts at the same time. You can also tell them that they can follow our progress on the website and join in the conversation.

-It's good to sound excited. Listeners on radio aren't usually paying close attention. They're driving, or working, or cooking, or whatever. If you speak all "professionally" and monotone, they won't hear a word you're saying. Don't worry too much about sounding "smart" and "official," and instead let your real enthusiasm come through. Pretend you're talking to a friend.

-When doing a phone interview, keep water or tea nearby. Make sure you've gone to the bathroom ahead of time. Turn off call-waiting if possible. Stick to a regular phone, not a portable or cell phone. Try to speak loud, clear, and slow. Stand up to keep your energy level up.

-If you find yourself saying "um" and "y'know" a lot, you're probably just rushing... don't worry about a second of silence. Slow yourself down; know that pauses are okay and natural.

-For TV interviews, stay away from patterned shirts (distracting) and sparkly jewelry (which tends to glare in the bright lights).

-Smile! Have fun! Nothing to worry about. The host and the listeners are on your side. They want you to do well. You're not on trial. You're being featured because you're interesting and are involved with something great.
I think I wrote an article about radio shows once... if I find it, I'll post it.

maestrowork
11-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Some more on-camera (or on-the-phone) tips:

- Do NOT look at the camera unless you're instructed to do so. Looking at the camera makes you look stupid and unnatural, unless you're doing an informercial or speaking directly to the camera. Engage the host instead.

- Do NOT stare at the host for a long period of time.

- DO speak slowly and annunciate your words. Be articulate. Do not rush. If you find yourself flustering and rushing, take a few deep breaths and drink some water.

- Tease your viewers/listeners and also give them some time to grab a pen by saying things like, "I'm going to give the ordering information in just a minute" then go on for bit about the book, and give the information (including the web sites, etc.) a minute later... Jenna made a good point on doing the "sales pitch" at appropriate times like "it's the holiday season again... what better gifts to get for those you love while helping those unfortunate?"

- Bring a change of coat or shirt/blouse of different colors (preferably solid colors). Reason: sometimes your shirt/blouse/jacket might interfere or blend in too much with the backdrop. Nothing too bright (like screaming hot red or neon orange). But do wear something comfortable.

- Turn off your radio or other electronic equipment if you're doing a phone interview. Do not create "feedback." Same reason -- do not wear heavy jewelry, etc. Sometimes they create feedback to the mikes.

- Watch for fly-away hair. They may not have makeup artists to do your hair, etc. and you do not want to look like a wild man/woman on camera. Spray your hair down, etc.

- Bring a copy of the book! If you're on camera, refer to it -- also, it serves as a prop so you have something to do with your idle hands. If it's a phone interview, you can use it to refer to something or when asked, you could do a short reading...

- If you tend to sweat a lot, wear deodorant, etc. and bring a handkerchief. A studio can get really hot sometimes with the lights...

- This is a little voice training trick... if your natural voice tends to be thin and shrill, try to lower it. If your voice tends to be low and dull, try to raise it. We're not talking about completely changing the way you talk, but a slight adjustment would make you sound better.

- Smile a lot. I can't tell you how many times I see people being interviewed on TV and they forget to smile. They look like they're being tortured. Poor people.

p.s. I, too, am completely ignored by my local TV and radio stations. I did get feedback from newspapers, but only one definitely coverage so far. What's wrong with those people???!!

JennaGlatzer
11-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Some really good tips on doing radio and TV interviews:

http://www.authorsandspeakersnetwork.com/articles.html

aruna
11-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Public speaking is (was) a phobia of mine, and I had to get over it, fast, when my book got published. The greatest help came from the book "Be Heard Now", written by Lee Glickstine. Lee runs workshops called Speaking Circles, and I attended one. The difference between this and most public speaking workshops is that Lee focusses on engaging the whole person - the speaker and the audience - and being at ease within oneself, rather than learning speaking "techniques".

If anyone suffers from stage fright or anything similar, I highly recommend that book! It changed my life - well, one part of it, at least. The site is http://www.speakingcircles.com/

Shortly after that, I addressed an auditorium full of people at a story conference in Palm Springs, many of them seasoned work-shop givers themselves - and spoke with passion and ease, and afterwards everyone came up tp me and said how much they loved my talk, and how inspired they were.

AmyDoodle
11-08-2005, 07:31 PM
THANK YOU September and everybody! I have a telephone interview with a local radio station tomorrow and my stomach must think I'm going national because it's trying to leave my body through my ear. Then I checked here and you guys had already answered all my questions and concerns. THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go throw up.

ChunkyC
11-08-2005, 08:27 PM
I have a telephone interview with a local radio station tomorrow
You'll be great!

and my stomach must think I'm going national because it's trying to leave my body through my ear.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gif Me too, and my interview is a month away!

September skies
11-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Oh Amy, how exciting! You'll do great. :)
What's that old saying - "imagine everyone in their underwear"
Ok...maybe not the best advice - I'd probably start laughing.

But I'm sure you'll do great. And Jenna, Ray and Aruna have offered some great advice.

I'm a bit nervous about the reporter coming in an hour (and the photographer)

I took one of the SOS posters to Kinkos and had it mounted on a styrofoam type of board with a stand, so I'll have that to hide behind. :)

ChunkyC
11-08-2005, 09:12 PM
I just thought of something else. If you are going on camera and will be bringing notes, be sure to print them out in large enough type that you can glance at them without lifting them up or leaning toward them. I've been watching how TV anchors, interviewers and guests do it and even those who hold notes in their hands keep them in the same position all the time low to the desk and rarely if ever tilt their heads down.

Also, I would keep paragraphs or sections together on the same page, don't let them wrap, otherwise you might find yourself having to flip a page while in the middle of responding to a question and the sound could interfere with what you are saying. Again, you never see a news anchor move to another page until there's a spot for a natural pause.

I think the ideal would be to have a couple of pages of notes laid side by side in front of you so you don't have to flip through them or even touch them at all.

Cabria
11-08-2005, 09:15 PM
I've been talking to NTV News (local TV station planning to do my interview) - they are busy this week but it works out good actually. What we're going to do is wait until I receive my SoS anthology books in the mail, as well as all the printed material I'm working on getting. A local printer is donating posters, flyers and bookmarks - I was talking to the vice-president this morning. I thought I'd just touch base from my email and they are already printing the material for me!! 500 bookmarks! And a large number of flyers and posters ( in the 100's I believe - I'll let you all know the exact number when I receive them). They are being extremely generous with this and I am mentioning them on the TV interview. So this all works out well, because when I go for the interview, I'll have books and all printed material to display. It will be much more impressive that way I think (as long as I don't faint away during the interview! lol). I'm very excited about this! I'm also going to contact Canada Now here locally to see if they'll do a TV interview as well....hmmm...should be an old pro by then - yeah right!!!

Deb http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

ChunkyC
11-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Awesome, Deb, well done!

Cabria
11-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks Charlie. I like your advice about the notes during interview btw. Good to know. Also, does anyone know the name of the flower on the SoS cover? Pehaps this has been covered on another thread somewhere but I'd like to know. Thanks!

Kim Gogo
11-08-2005, 10:12 PM
hmmm...maybe I'm naive but I have a number of friends that work at radio stations in the area and I am sure, if you ask the interviewer (tv/radio/newspaper) to go through the questions with you in advance, he/she will.

If you explain you're nervous and was hoping he/she would be willing to give you a little advance notice of the questions, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. Just explain that it's a very important cause and you want to be sure that you say all the important things. He/she doesn't want to have to edit and edit and edit the interview b/c you keep saying um....wait...let me look up that information for you. And it will reflect poorly on them if they don't edit that out.

Just ask what the questions will cover so that you don't turn 15 shades of red and crawl under your chair in the middle of the interview. Accoustics, I'm sure, aren't very good down there.

kim

ChunkyC
11-08-2005, 10:19 PM
I think that makes all kinds of sense, Kim. You'll have your 'talking points', the things you want to make sure you cover, and they'll have their own list of the kinds of questions they like to ask interviewees. Coordinating with them will help 'block out' the interview.

September skies
11-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Oh my gosh - I can breathe now. The first reporter just left and the interview went well. I've just never been on this side of the table before. It was my first interview EVER.
But no worries - I feel I represented our book well and covered all of the important details. Thanks to Chunky's suggestion, I had two pages in front of me with important details but rarely needed to refer to them. I made an extra set for the reporter and she was so thrilled to be able to take the info with her. (as a reporter, I know how helpful little things like that are)

Thanks Jenna, for the suggestions too. I smiled a lot (which is natural for me) but I remembered about sounding excited and I even had the reporter laughing a couple of times and getting excited with me. I kept referring to the book by name (I'm sure she must have thought this was an infomercial) and when I didn't know what to do with my hands, I'd pick up the poster board and speak as I glanced from her to the flyer board.

It went really well.
Thanks everyone.

AmyDoodle
11-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your wonderful advice and tips. :) Having a support group like this makes all the difference. I'm making some flash cards with the main information in BIG print to tape on the wall by the phone so a glance will give me what I need without having to worry about fishing them out of my water glass or having them stick to sweaty fingers. Also, it makes it easier to do these interviews when we remember the people who lost everything they had in one day and know that the few minutes we spend on the phone or in front of a camera will make a difference in their lives.

Chunky, I'll bet you're a natural. After your interview, everybody else will be fighting for your attention. (I find that wearing ear plugs keeps your stomach from escaping out either side, but puts a damper any sort of two-sided conversation.)

September, is your interview done? I've been thinking about you this afternoon and I know you were great!

If you hear from me tomorrow, I survived.

AmyDoodle
11-08-2005, 11:35 PM
WOOO-HOOOOO!!!!! TERRIFIC!!!

:Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

September skies
11-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Robert Villanueva, Jennifer Lawler, and I are going to be on a radio show soon, too. It tapes this Thursday, and I think it airs on Saturday afternoon. Beyond Words on KCLU, an NPR affiliate: 88.3 in Ventura County, 102.3 in Santa Barbara County, and on the web: www.kclu.org (http://www.kclu.org).

YEAA! I can listen in. I already wrote it on a sticky note and placed it on my computer and refrigerator -- the two places I frequent daily.

Cabria
11-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Just got a phone message from VOCM Radio - they want me to call them to set up an interview. Have my daughter's high school "Cap and Gown" ceremony tonight (she's already in university but this is what the high school does - hold the ceremony in the fall). Anyway...will phone VOCM tomorrow to set up the interview. Oh yeah....anyone know the name of the flower on the book cover?

Kim Gogo
11-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Gerbera Daisy, I believe.

kim

ChunkyC
11-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Way to go, September! You've set the bar for the rest of us!

I'm listening to the Windows Media stream right now. Very clear. I checked the KCLU program guide, and Beyond Words is on at 2 p.m. Pacific this Saturday. I already have my PDA set to alarm 15 minutes before the show starts, whoohoo!

Cabria
11-09-2005, 06:08 AM
Gerbera Daisy, I believe.

kim

Thanks for replying on that Kim!

AmyDoodle
11-09-2005, 08:50 PM
w00t!!!:hooray: I made it through my interview and several people have called to tell me they'll be buying the book. The interviewer played up the "local girl" point of view and was really good about guiding me through the important points. I just tried to remember to say Stories of Strength a lot and give the website as often as it would fit in, and I remembered to say it would make a great Christmas gift. It turned out to be FUN! Thanks to all the pointers and tips from you guys, I was fairly confident--even though my knees didn't get the memo and were still knocking together!

ChunkyC
11-09-2005, 09:02 PM
WTG, Amy! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteHug2.gif

MacAllister
11-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Y'all are terrific! Way to go! :Cheers:

Cabria
11-09-2005, 11:09 PM
OK Guys...I did an interview over the phone for VOCM news which will broadcast tomorrow. When I called (because I was just returning a phone call) - I didn't realize that the interviewer wanted to tape me over the phone to get information - anyway.... I had my notes in front of me and I covered all areas I could think of as this was actually quite spontaneous to say the least! But I did it and I think I did ok. At least it's prepping me for my upcoming TV interview. Whew!!

September skies
11-10-2005, 11:15 PM
alright Amy! I knew you would do great. :Clap:

September skies
11-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Oh my gosh! What a nightmare! But a fun one at least! The photographer for a big newspaper just left. The reporter had been here a few days ago but they decided to wait to see if I got the book - I still haven't so they came out anyway. He instantly fell in love with my home and after coming inside asks if we can shoot outside. It was built in 1904 and everyone who sees it falls in love with it. (oh well, at least the inside of my house is super clean)

But warning to you all --- this guy took (and I'm not exaggerating) about 100 shots. That's rather embarrassing. (does that mean that I was so bad he couldn't get a good shot?) And all close ups but with a wide angle lens to get the background. (he literally held the camera about five inches from my face) Yuk! I'm not the most photogenic person and I tried to look natural.....auuughhhh! I'm just glad that part is over.

ChunkyC
11-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Cool! Be sure to post in the appearances thread when you have the details about when the interview will run!

Don't worry about the quantity of photographs, professional photographers always shoot lots of pics. When I was in a band and we went to photo shoots for band posters, they regularly ran off a hundred or more just to get that one perfect shot.

AmyDoodle
11-11-2005, 02:02 AM
September, I know you did a great job! :Clap: I've heard photographers always take bunches of pictures. Your house sounds beautiful! (Wish mine was clean.)

JennaGlatzer
11-11-2005, 02:36 AM
I AM SO PROUD OF YOU GALS! Way to go!

Robert, Jennifer, and I taped our first radio interview today, too-- they did a whole hour with us! A lot of it was about Absolute Write, but plenty about Stories of Strength, too.

I'm still waiting on my books, too. :(

Vanessa
11-11-2005, 05:50 AM
Still waiting on my books too. And I will get the SOS media craze started once I finally get home. I'm excited. I've sent out some press releases to the media via email and haven't heard anything back yet. I'm in Tennessee now and will be till tomorrow. Was suppose to be home by now. Anywayz, I'm excited about Stories of Strength. My family and friends is supporting this big time. The concept of SOS is so personal to us. My co-workers are all over it as well. I can't wait to get everything printed up and distributed out. I can't wait to let Baton Rouge and surrounding areas know all about it, in person. I'd planned to kick things off in Detroit, but time didn't make it happen for me. I did mention it to a few folks and passed on ordering info.

And may I add that I am so very proud of all of you for everything you're doing with the media. This is so good and feels so good to be a part of.

Dang....I feel another group hug coming on. :Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::H ug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2:

P.S. I have drenched the websites of Oprah and Ellen; Perhaps one day, someone will finally see that there's a maniac out there or that this is something worth pursuing. Jenna keep an eye out!

Dang I love ya'll :kiss:

mdin
11-11-2005, 06:16 AM
But warning to you all --- this guy took (and I'm not exaggerating) about 100 shots. That's rather embarrassing. (does that mean that I was so bad he couldn't get a good shot?) And all close ups but with a wide angle lens to get the background. (he literally held the camera about five inches from my face) Yuk! I'm not the most photogenic person and I tried to look natural.....auuughhhh! I'm just glad that part is over.

What newspaper was it?

100 shots is about right. That's what I do all day, every day. Sift through photographs taken by photojournalists. Then I airbrush and make the good ones all nice and shiny for publication. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jean Marie
11-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Wow, you're awesome, all of you!! And way braver than me. I prefer being behind the camera-eeek! However, I will get in touch w/ local media once I've got the Borders thing set. Then I can tell the viewers to run down the street and buy it.

When my turn comes, I'll be asking all you celebs for advicehttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

ChunkyC
11-23-2005, 04:22 AM
They (Banff Crag & Canyon (http://www.banffcragandcanyon.com)) gave me/us virtually an entire page! Whoohoo!

awatkins
11-23-2005, 04:37 AM
:Clap: Awesome, CC!!

biotales
11-23-2005, 05:06 AM
:Clap: :kiss: :hooray: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: congrats

Sully
11-23-2005, 05:10 AM
Congratulations!

Mary

AmyDoodle
11-23-2005, 05:39 AM
Chunky, You're a STAHHHHH! :thankyou:

And a ruggedly handsome one, too, I might add. This is Tee-rific!

ChunkyC
11-23-2005, 05:52 AM
And a ruggedly handsome one, too, I might add.
Aw, pshaw.... I think you might be looking at the wolf on the cover of the book over my left shoulder, though I have been referred to in that manner in the past. http://bestsmileys.com/misbehaving/10.gif

Shwebb
11-23-2005, 05:53 AM
Awesome!:Clap:

Now, how do we get to read it? Do we have to wait for the story to go to archive on the newspaper's website?

mdin
11-23-2005, 05:59 AM
That's awesome, Chunkster. You rock!

Cabria
11-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Awesome Charlie! I'm so happy for you!

Ken Schneider
11-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Nice, Chunky, good job.

Ken

Unique
11-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Awesome!:Clap:

Now, how do we get to read it? Do we have to wait for the story to go to archive on the newspaper's website?

Yeah, CC. The print is too small to read here. I wanna read the story!!!

rhymegirl
11-23-2005, 05:33 PM

Me too! Good going, Charlie! Sure, now that you're famous you'll want your own parking space here at AW.

ChunkyC
11-23-2005, 07:49 PM
You guys are the best! *blush* It was a really strange experience standing in that bookstore getting my picture taken with all the customers looking at us wondering what was up. Hopefully they come back to buy the book!

I'm waiting to see if the story runs in the other valley paper that comes out today, then I'll be getting in touch with them to thank them. I'll ask about archiving, and about using it ourselves as a 'clip.' I'm sure we'll be able to, I just want to be sure to do everything on the up-and-up. It would be really nice to compile all the newspaper write-ups we get and make them part of our media package.

awatkins
11-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Me too! Good going, Charlie! Sure, now that you're famous you'll want your own parking space here at AW.

He already has that, Kathy. It's right beside Jenna's spot, in front of the Mod Squad door. The rest of us have to park on the street. :D

ChunkyC
11-26-2005, 08:49 PM
O-tay -- my editor at the paper gave me the official go-ahead to use the article (see my post on the previous page) freely to promote the book. So, since some of you kind folks expressed a desire to read it, here is the text of the article, with only one edit made to get Ms. Hatcher's name right.....

Stuart's story of strength part of larger project to aid disaster victims

BY SABRINA FABIAN
BANFF CRAG & CANYON STAFF

Charlie Stuart is living proof that it is never too late to start up on a new career path. His short story Breaking the Ice, has recently been published in Stories of Strength, a compilation of stories, poems and essays about human strength.

For Stuart, a Bow Valley resident since 1988 and SummitUP’s local film critic, this is his first published piece of fiction, and thus a tremendous accomplishment for the 50-year-old native of Kingston, Ont. who was formerly a musician. “This is awesome,” he says with an enormous smile, his eyes twinkling. “I’m on such a high right now.”

Stories of Strength is far more than a personal achievement for Stuart. The compilation of works from various authors is being sold to raise cash for disaster relief charities.

The idea for the book came about after the devastation of hurricane Katrina. Writer Jenna Glatzer of New York City felt powerless at the sight of the destruction left in the hurricane’s wake and came up with the idea of putting together an anthology in order to raise money.

Glatzer used an online message board for writers called Absolutewrite.com to spread the word to her fellow writers worldwide. That is how Stuart, who had recently joined the board, found out about the project.

The conversation online became centred around the desire to help these victims and more specifically as Stuart explains, “how can we use our talent as writers to help?” And so came about this idea for “an anthology based on the idea of strength and people struggling with strength,” explains Stuart.

Glatzer’s idea received tremendous response and the project got underway immediately. She received hundreds of submissions and was contacted by volunteers to edit as well as promote the book.

“People stuck around and offend help in other areas, [than writing],” she says in the introduction. Volunteers have helped with “formatting, advertising, publicity, corporate sponsorship, and bookstore distribution.”

Sharlene Giesbrecht, who works with Stuart at Bow Valley Basics in Banff, designed a poster that will be put uparound town to help promote the book.

The publisher, Lulu.com, also helped with the format of the book in order to make it professional and available to the public quickly.

“It took two months from the call for submissions to the publication,” explains Stuart. The promptness of the release of the book is in large part due to the on-demand printing by Lulu.com, which publishes a book almost as soon as it receives it, based on need, rather than waiting months or years, as can be the case with a traditional publisher.

This is great news for Stuart, whose career as a writer maybe given a boost thanks to the publication of his story. Written under his catchy pen name, C. Montgomery Stuart, Breaking the Ice is a story about two young boys whose exciting first experience on a frozen lake takes a turn for the worse when one of the boys falls through the ice and the other is forced to overcome his fears and rescue his best friend.

Stuart says that the story is not based on actual fact, thus placing it in the “Strength in Fiction”category of the book, although there are some aspects of it that are in fact based on Stuart’s life. For example, Stuart identifies greatly with the character who must confront his fears.

He explains that the act of submitting the story took a lot of strength on his part. “It’s about me overcoming my fear of rejection” says Stuart, who has no formal training in creative writing, but has always been an avid reader.

Stuart recently completed his second book, a science fiction novel, and is hoping to have it published in the near future. He is thrilled at the opportunity to see his name in print alongside over one hundred others who have been dedicated to this project from the U.S., Canada, Australia, Germany and Great Britain.

For some authors this is their first published work, whereas other contributors are already well-established authors, such as Orson Scott Card, Wil Wheaton and Robin Lee Hatcher. These authors’ contribution will hopefully help boost sales, and as Stuart says, “they give us a legitimacy we wouldn’t have had.”

So far, the book has raised over $2,000 since its release at the beginning of the month. Glatzer is hoping that sales of Stories of Strength will continue to provide help to disaster relief victims in the future.

Stories of Strength is currently available at Banff Book and Art Den at 94 Banff Ave. as well as through most online retailers. For more information, you can visit Storiesofstrength.com.

Cabria
12-05-2005, 05:34 AM
Hey Guys!

Did my two newspapers interviews Friday - they went excellent! The first interview runs in The Express on Wednesday of this week, the second interview runs in The Telegram next Sunday. If I can get permission to post these, I will. I thoroughly enjoyed doing the interviews.

AmyDoodle
12-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Deb, You're on a roll. Can't wait to see those interviews. Pats on the back for you and yours!:)

Cabria
12-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks Amy! I appreciate that!

Moondancer
12-05-2005, 09:40 PM
That's awesome, Cabria. Congratulations!

I look forward to reading them.

Cabria
12-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Thanks Moon. Much appreciated!

Debbie http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Cabria
12-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Guys,

The first article is in print - looks great. I want to post it but it's not online - some articles are but unfortunately this one isn't. Should I just type it out here? (I did send an email to the main editor asking if there was some way to access it - haven't rec'd a reply yet).

Also, the second interview comes out on Sunday - this is a bigger paper - the main newspaper here. It's going to be in their "Books" section. I'm pretty sure it will be online so it should be easier to post.

Debbie http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Cabria
12-10-2005, 04:12 AM
Just want to let you guys know that I'm still working on getting my NTV interview. I had a "yes" to it initially, but seem to be getting put off now- not really sure. Anyway.... I sent a "checking up on things" kind of email today, letting the person I've been corresponding with know that I just did two newspaper interviews (the second one comes out Sunday - can't wait to read it), that SoS is on Chapters/Indigo website now and that publicity is growing steadily and widely for SoS. I asked her if she is still interested in doing the TV interview and that I would love to do it anytime she's ready. So ball's in her court now. Fingers crossed that she'll reply, particularly since the newspapers here took interest. I'll keep you guys posted if there are any developments.

Deb http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

ChunkyC
12-10-2005, 04:52 AM
Fingers and toes crossed for you, Deb.

Cabria
12-10-2005, 06:59 AM
Thanks Charlie... http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Cabria
12-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm posting my two newspaper interviews. I couldn't get my pics to come out on the posts and the articles are garbled in trying to post but hopefully you can read them fairly ok. Sorry about that but the articles weren't posted on the newspapers' websites so I had to copy/paste from Word after scanning the articles in.

Debbie :)

Interview #1 with The Express:

Tribute to victims

Local writer tells of strength
in aid of hurricane victims

BY DANETTE DOOLEY

For The Express

While the world watched in horror as Hurricane Katrina unleashed its fury
on the Gulf Coast in September, St. John's writer Debbie Burton-Peddle searched for a way she could make a difference in the lives of the survivors. Her search took her to AbsoluteWrite.com, an online writers magazine.

"We were all wondering what we could do to contribute our little bit of writing talent to help out," Burton-Peddle says.

The result of their efforts is the recently published inspirational anthology, Stories of Strength. The book's profits go to the disaster relief charities including the Red Cross, Americares and the Salvation Army.

Stories of Strength includes essays, poetry and fiction from more than 100 contributors from the United States, the United Kingdom, South Africa, Greece, Australia, . Germany and Canada. .

Burton-Peddle is one of 12 Canadian writers whose work was chosen for the collective by editor Jenna Glatzer

"Jenna put out a call for submissions on the writers' board and was immediately inundated with stories and poems," she says.

The project attracted award-wining science fiction novelist Orson Scott Card, famed actor Wil Wheaton (Star Trek, Stand By Me) and Christian romance author Robin Lee Hatcher, among others.

Burton-Peddle's contribution - What is Strength? - is an inspirational prose piece.

"To me strength, is about giving and receiving and sharing," she says. "Everybody has strength in different capacities and we have to call upon it at different times. And I find it's at times of adversity that we really draw on our strength." .

The collection of stories in the anthology will not only generate money for the disaster relief, she says, but will also provide a source of emotional comfort to the victims and their families. The project has also affected Burton-Peddle on many levels.

"I have relatives living in the U.S.," she notes, "and although they were not victims to Hurricane Katrina or Rita, I felt a strong bond and need to help in any way I could because of them. Also as a Newfoundlander, I feel pride in being a part of Stories of Strength in contributing to and promoting the project."

While this province has had its history of hardships, Burton-Peddle feels time and time again Newfoundlanders have shown their amazing capacity to "find strengths, build on those strengths and face their adversities with tenacity and determination."

Such strength-sharing initiatives were demonstrated to the world during 9/11 when American planes were re-routed to this province on that fateful day.

This isn’t the first time Burton-Peddle’s work has appeared in an anthology with award winning writers. Her writing also appears in a keepsake Blue Mountain Press anthology alongside the work of Edgar Allan Poe, Emily Dickinson, Victor Hugo and Donna Fargo. Her writing has also been featured on Blue Mountain greeting cards.

While she holds her writing close to her heart and profits from her Blue Mountain endeavours, Burton-Peddle's contribution to Stories of Strength is particularly rewarding in that it's those most vulnerable who will benefit from her creativity.

"This book is not about the writers. It's a tribute to the victims of natural disaster and of Hurricane Katrina in particular."

Burton-Peddle suggests the book would make an excellent Christmas gift - not just for its contents, but because it will help those still struggling to pick up the pieces of their lives left behind after Hurricane Katrina.

"Many of these people still don't have their homes rebuilt," she says. "They're living out of suitcases. And when people buy this book, it's those very people that they'll be supporting.”

Further information on the project can be found at www.storiesofstrength.com (http://www.storiesofstrength.com/).

danette@nl.rogers.com

Cabria
12-18-2005, 08:02 AM
Interview #2 with The Telegram:

Local nurse contributes poem to hurricane-victims fundraiser

BY TARA BRADBURY MULLOWNEY The Telegram

For Debbie Burton-Peddle, strength is not something that is
simply physical. In her view, strength is not measured by quantity,
weight or force - but by human spirit. "To me, strength is about giving and
receiving and sharing," Burton-Peddle said. "It's something we all have."

A registered nurse living in St. John's, Burton-Peddle has also been writing for as long as she can remember. She started off writing prose and quotes for friends, which she often framed and gave as gifts, and soon people began asking her to write things for them.

In 1997, she discovered Blue Mountain Arts, an American company specializing in greeting cards, and found that her own style of writing fit theirs. She submitted some work to the company and one of her poems was chosen and published as a birthday card.

Since then, she has published 16 greeting cards with Blue Mountain, ranging from marriage to encouragement blessings.

One of her cards in particular, containing a sympathy message, hit a nerve with numerous people who received it.
"A loved one is a treasure of the heart, and to lose a loved one is like losing a piece of yourself. But the love that this person brought you did not
leave, for the essence of the soul lingers. It cannot escape your heart, for it has been there forever," reads a stanza of the poem Burton-Peddle wrote for the card.

Not long ago, a woman in the United States phoned Blue Mountain to
inquire about the card. "The editor got a call from a woman who had lost her husband, and someone had given her the card," Burton-Peddle said. "She wanted to say thank you for the writing, which she said really touched her."
"Sympathy cards are the hardest. But if you're giving someone even the tiniest bit of peace, it's worth it."
Burton-Peddle's work has also been featured in a number of Blue Mountain anthology books, along with writings by Victor Hugo, Edgar Allan Poe and others.

Contributes to collection

But her latest work can be found in a recently published anthology called Stories of Strength, featuring inspirational pieces. The book was put together as a fundraiser for victims of natural disasters, hurricane Katrina in particular, through the Red Cross, the Salvation Army and Americares.

Burton-Peddle is a member of absolutewrite.com, an online writers' magazine. It was on one of the magazine's chat boards that she saw a call for submissions from editor Jenna Glatzer.

"We were chatting about how we could do something to help these people, many of whom were living out of suitcases with no roof over their heads and aid not getting to them fast enough," Burton-Peddle explained. "Jenna wanted to try and organize an anthology, and called for submissions,
and was inundated with stories and poems."

Burton-Peddle was one of 12 Canadian contributors chosen for Stories of Strength. Other contributors come from the U.S., Britain, South Africa, Germany, Australia and Greece, and include science-fiction novelist Orson Scott Card and actor Wil Wheaton.

Her contribution is a piece of prose entitled What is Strength?
"Strength is a test - and it's not whether we pass or fail the test, but that we complete it.
"Strength is elusive - it can often hide from us, but when found, remains
very close by," reads an excerpt from Burton-Peddle's piece.

All the work involved in putting together Stories of Strength - from the writing, editing, formatting and graphic design - was done voluntarily.

The book is currently No. 20 on the list of publisher lulu.com's topselling books.

Burton-Peddle -who says the book is one of the most important projects she's ever undertaken - says the book will not only help victims in a monetary way, but also an emotional one.
"My feeling is that everyone has strength, and it's something you've got to give, borrow and share," she said. "In times of adversity, it's amazing how we can pull it up."

Stories of Strength is available from the Chapters website at www.chapters.indigo.ca (http://www.chapters.indigo.ca), Amazon.com, lulu.com, and through the book's website at www.storiesofstrength.com (http://www.storiesofstrength.com/).

tbm@thetelegram.com

ChunkyC
12-18-2005, 06:42 PM
AWESOME! Both articles are great, Deb. Well done! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif

Susie
12-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Wow, Chunky, and Deb, what wonderful articles! Congrats and way2go! :Hug2:

Cabria
12-19-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks Charlie and Suse! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Cassie88
12-19-2005, 04:48 AM
Deb, WOW! Both articles are wonderful! Really, really wonderful. GREAT JOB, DEB!

Cabria
12-19-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks Cath! I appreciate that very much...

JennaGlatzer
12-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Fantastic! Stephen at Lulu found Debbie's second article, too, and forwarded it to me. :) Way to go!

Cabria
12-20-2005, 02:10 AM
Thanks Jenna! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

JennaGlatzer
01-09-2006, 02:59 AM
Well, whaddya know? After only 6 zillion press releases, a local paper has finally acknowledged my existence!

That's right: Long Island Press (I think) has done a full-page article on Stories of Strength... which I haven't seen yet, and only know about by accident. Anthony was playing a wedding showcase today and he had a break, so he sat down and picked up the paper. He was flipping through when he saw Stories of Strength, and called me. :) I can't wait till he gets home and shows me!

ChunkyC
01-09-2006, 03:30 AM
w00t!!! Finally, someone recognizes they have a SUPAHSTAH living amongst them!

Would this (http://www.longislandpress.com/index.php?cp=54&show=article&a_id=7018) be it?

mdin
01-09-2006, 03:35 AM
I don't know if this is what's in the paper, but they have this on their website:

http://www.longislandpress.com/index.php?cp=54&show=article&a_id=7018

Cabria
01-09-2006, 06:21 AM
Yay Jenna! That's wonderful! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/e2bear.gif

JennaGlatzer
01-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Yep, that's what's in the paper (nice searching, guys!). My proud husband was apparently exaggerating about the full page. ;)

Vanessa
01-10-2006, 04:56 AM
Wow Congratulations Deb. Great Job.

September skies
01-10-2006, 05:36 AM
That's awesome Jenna! I told you they'd change their minds! I just understand newspapers - two small papers (surrounding towns) and one very large paper (100k plus circulation in the Valley) wrote about me but my local paper said they weren't interested in doing a story on it. Hmmph! I didn't let it get me down but it was frustrating.

Cabria
01-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Hey, thanks Vanessa! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif