If die-hard Star Trek fans are "Trekkies" . . .

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
You know the first sign of being a Trekkie? Correcting someone with "TrekkeRRRRRR!"

Supposedly amongst the hardcore, Trekkie and Trekker are both correct, but they describe two different kinds of fan.

Personally, I'm a pretty damn big Star Trek fan, but I've never called myself anything other than "big Star Trek fan," and I don't get the need to. Of course, I've never gone to a convention or donned a Starfleet Uniform, so maybe I just haven't ascended to the proper level of fandom.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Meh. I was also taught very sternly to abbreviate science fiction as "sf," and never as "sci-fi." I think there is some small number of people for whom the distinction in terminology is extremely important, but most are okay with any generally understandable term.

I brought up the Trekker thing to answer humor with humor, or at least that was my hope.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Meh. I was also taught very sternly to abbreviate science fiction as "sf," and never as "sci-fi." I think there is some small number of people for whom the distinction in terminology is extremely important, but most are okay with any generally understandable term.

I brought up the Trekker thing to answer humor with humor, or at least that was my hope.

As did I, with the same hope. I've always been a fan but, like JTWriter, I've never attended a convention or referred to myself as anything but a fan.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Sci-Fi FTW!

If memory serves (and it rarely does, these days) the renaming of "Sci-Fi" to "SF" was driven by Harlan Ellison, to make the genre more respectable.

Fair enough, good intentions, but, it was already f'in' respectable.

-Derek (Sci-Fi tlll I die)
PS - hey what about that Harry Potter dude, I hear he's in movies now!

Reaction score
Because sf is just two letters. It could mean something like San Fransisco, or stir fry, or sending flowers, or Stygian flogger, or showering freedom and doesn't really mean anything, Sci-fi is definitive of what people mean, rather than just two letter.