• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Writing Accountability Partner Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celesta

loves writing :)
Registered
Reaction score
I write/work at home full-time and I'm a little lonely and would like to feel as if I have a co-worker or two. Looking for others that write full time to chat with throughout the day. Looking to encourage each other and help each other stay on track.

CaseyMack

Write more; worry less!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Celesta,

That's certainly an interesting term: "writing accountability partner."

You say that you're looking for "others who write full time to chat with throughout the day." What qualifies as "full time" for that purpose? In other words, how many days per week are sufficient?

Regards,
Casey

Celesta

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, anyone really, who writes and I can talk to sometimes about writing and how it's going. It's actually kinda boring working alone. And sometimes I feel unproductive because I feel like no one cares about what I'm doing and no one will know/care if I don't reach my goals.

CaseyMack

Write more; worry less!
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, anyone really, who writes and I can talk to sometimes about writing and how it's going. It's actually kinda boring working alone. And sometimes I feel unproductive because I feel like no one cares about what I'm doing and no one will know/care if I don't reach my goals.
Hi Celesta,

Do you set regular writing goals for yourself?

I find that if I set weekly targets, that keeps me organised and motivated.

Casey

Celesta

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I set lots of goals. Actually doing it is another matter entirely :p

Celesta

Registered
Reaction score
I guess mostly YA SciFi & Fantasy but I'm open to working with other people, too. I don't write/read any explicit stuff, though.

Crock-o-dile

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Celesta, feel free to PM me if you're still looking for other writers to chat with. I write mostly YA fantasy, and haven't found anyone IRL who I can commiserate with over plot holes and passive voice. (There's only so much the boyfriend can take before his eyes start to glaze over. Heh.)

Celesta

Registered
Reaction score
Well I did get a set of books for kids self-published and I was in a parade so...well...it's never really enough is it?

CaseyMack

Write more; worry less!
Registered
Reaction score
Well I did get a set of books for kids self-published and I was in a parade so...well...it's never really enough is it?

Hi Celesta,

Hey, self-publishing the kids' books sounds like definite progress. Plus, you've quite of list of stories within the publications.

I say well done.

How long did it take you to write all twenty of those stories ?

Cheers,
Casey

Celesta

Registered
Reaction score
I've been writing 2 short stories/month now since about December. But I'm just now going to be increasing that to 1 story each week.

Celesta

Registered
Reaction score
Help! I still need more writing buddies. I need someone I can connect with each day. Someone who works on their writing a lot, asks me how it's going each day and has the time for spontaneous random requests for encouragement or advice. And I can do the same for you :)

Looking for female who writes less explicit stuff. Not into erotica, explicit horror, etc. To be honest I like stories that leave a person feeling happy/encouraged/uplifted.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Help!
. . . . . . . . .
Looking for female who writes less explicit stuff.

In another thread, a male writer asked for a male reader and was told "That's pretty sexist."

Two others agreed. I hope our champions of equality comment here, too.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
In another thread, a male writer asked for a male reader and was told "That's pretty sexist."

Two others agreed. I hope our champions of equality comment here, too.

In that case, the male writer specified a male reader because he considered that mainly male readers would be able to laugh at his MC. There did not seem to be any obvious reason why a female reader could not give him the feedback he needed, which I think is why his statement got the reactions it did.

A request for a writing buddy is a different situation. The OP is not asking for specific feedback, but for a specific type of writing relationship. I made a request similar to this, where I also specified that I was looking for a female buddy. This is because the relationship can become quite personal as writers share details about their stories, their writing and sometimes, their daily routines as they arrange times to chat, for example. I was more comfortable with that level of intimacy developing with a female. Your mileage may vary. But there is nothing inherently sexist in a personal request like this, and nothing wrong with the OP's preference. There is no judgement being made of a member's ability. It comes down entirely to what the OP is comfortable with.

If you have a problem with how that other thread was handled, please contact the room's moderators about it, rather than bringing it to a completely unrelated thread in another area of the forum.

Celesta

Registered
Reaction score
I want a female reader because I don't want to get closely emotionally involved with a male. I'm married and to be completely honest I know myself and I need to guard my heart. To have an ongoing open communication of personal encouragement and support with a guy...I couldn't trust myself in that situation. I fall in love too easy :p

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score
Celesta, I'm close to what you're looking for. I write mostly YA fantasy/SF and try to write at least a little each day. I don't work... but I am a stay-at-home mom of two kiddies (one of whom is only 8mos) and I'm a college student. So my writing schedule isn't very consistent. However, with that said, I'm usually fairly easy to get ahold of and do try to write during nap-times and late evening (after kiddo bedtimes).

If you're interested in me, you're welcome to PM. :)

And I'm a woman (and married), so you don't have to worry about us falling in love :D

twilcox

Registered
Reaction score
lol@FabricatedParadise

I'm in too, although I'm a stay-at-home mom I only have time to work at night but since I'm at home I am also easy to get in touch with. Starting next week I will be. I'd love to have writing buddies that stay on my head about getting my stories done!! Makes me feel like what I do is important since I haven't yet had anything published.

Count me in

heidirebecca

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Celesta - I'm writing YA (my series will span a character from ages 12-18) and it's fantasy with elements of sci-fi (time travel, other planets...) magic...

A brief summary of the story: It's based around a 12 year old orphan named Hugo who escapes a horrible children's home, then finds an envelope with his name on it and a pocket watch inside.

The watch transports Hugo back in time to a magical world where he discovers that his father was convicted of mass murder at thirteen, locked away in an asylum for the criminally insane, then escaped five years later on the day Hugo was born.

It leads Hugo on a quest through time to prove his father's innocence and bring him out of hiding.

That's a basic description! As for me, I'm female, 26, unmarried, no boyfriend (haha, just thought I'd add that, as I have zero social life) and I love discussing writing every day. I work only about 10 hours a week and am taking the next 6 weeks off for holidays.

If anyone else wants to email about writing and you think we'd mesh well, hit me up! :) [email protected]

Maybe those of us in this post should make a little writing group? Workshop each other's writing and set group goals so that we actually make progress

Cece N

Half-way there, but need more time.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm interested as well, but not choosy. male or female, would love to have someone to PM with. I'm in. Anyone?

McFrog

Part of the Precipitate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
delia-moran.blogspot.com
Another SAHM who writes mostly at night. I do, however, check in on the interwebz all day long, so PMing me or emailing (if that's what you're looking for) is fine. I write fantasy, some adult, some YA. It's not terribly explicit, but I don't know that it could be called uplifting. Though, if you're just looking for encouragement, it may not matter. Anywho, I'm here. If Celesta or anyone else would like to take advantage of that, you're welcome to do so. And if anyone forms a Sleepless Writing Moms club, I'm in. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.