PDA

View Full Version : I got mine! (redux)

rtilryarms
11-08-2005, 05:25 AM
What happened to the "I got mine!" thread?

Anyway....I got mine!

I'm going to Hollywood Beach tomorrow to get a picture with me holding the book in front af a Hurricane Wilma-ravaged building. As a bonus the picture will be in front of a store / apartment used as a model in one of my books, Twilight's Knight.

here we go...

ChunkyC
11-08-2005, 05:49 AM
Looking forward to seeing the pic, yarmy!

awatkins
11-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Wow, Mike. Talk about powerful imagery!

rtilryarms
11-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Jeepers. the building wasn't even damaged. I heard it was. Oh well good news I guess. My second idea was to go to the Beach Gym and arm wrestle the Owner / Operator / Trainer (one of the biggest dudes I ever met) with the SOS book leaning against our arms (well his arm, mine would look like well-boiled spaghetti scraps).
He was closed down, a bar is in it's place.
Then I looked around for felled trees. All the palms were standing up.
I found one palm that looked pretty bad but as I was setting up the picture I noticed a lady in the background topless. In a town with no hills she stood out too much.....

...so I waited. After awhile I realized she wasn't moving (at least most of her) I desparately sought other signs of mass damage and destruction.
I ended up with a couple.
I'll download them and post them in a few.

East Hollywood / Fort Lauderdale didn't take as much of a hit as those of us on the western limits.

rtilryarms
11-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Whoops, too big and too dark. I don't have my editing programs here at work so I'll have to fix it later.

Stories of Strength, Hollywood (FL) Beach, 11/8/05 (http://home.comcast.net/~ddom/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-2507388.html)

Mike and SOS, Hollywood Beach, 11/8/05 (http://home.comcast.net/~ddom/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-2507389.html)

ChunkyC
11-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Firefox doesn't resize images to fit the window, so in the first one I was scrolling like a madman trying to find something that looked like you or the book, lol!

That's so cool to see it in someone's hands. Wow.

maestrowork
11-08-2005, 11:26 PM
You're so frigging photogenic.

rtilryarms
11-08-2005, 11:54 PM
You're so frigging photogenic.

yea right, as long as I stay a matted blot...

September skies
11-09-2005, 12:10 AM
I'm so jealous. I'm still waiting for the postman. I can't wait to get my hands on a book.

BTW, nice pic Mike.

Kim Gogo
11-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Gosh, I'd give anything to be on a warm beach right now....

k

rtilryarms
11-09-2005, 02:12 AM
HEY!
I get home and the pictures aren't dark at all.
This is a Comcast webpage so the sizing parameters are resident on thier page. I didn't feel like spending time on HTML code so I did a quicky temporary web page with one of thier templates.

I'll do something better when I am bored (whenever the heck that ever happens)

I can just link the pics direct and it will view better.
Gimme a few minny wheats ok?

rtilryarms
11-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Gosh, I'd give anything to be on a warm beach right now....

k

Don't forget the humidity that comes with it.

rtilryarms
11-09-2005, 02:40 AM
OK,
Lits try 'er agin!

Even Firefox should autoadjust the pic to your screen

Lonely Stories of Strength book leaning on a 2 X 4 holding up a palm tree just by happenstance (http://home.comcast.net/~ddom/SOSpalmtree.JPG)

Well what d' ya know, I happen to know some people in this book! (http://home.comcast.net/~ddom/SOSmikepalm.JPG)

rtilryarms
11-09-2005, 03:48 AM
HEY!
I get home and the pictures aren't dark at all.
This is a Comcast webpage so the sizing parameters are resident on thier page. I didn't feel like spending time on HTML code so I did a quicky temporary web page with one of thier templates.

I'll do something better when I am bored (whenever the heck that ever happens)

I can just link the pics direct and it will view better.
Gimme a few minny wheats ok?

Why do I keep spelling "their" wrong?

ChunkyC
11-09-2005, 04:51 AM
Typing Dyslexia.

Sarita
11-09-2005, 07:19 AM
Hey! I got mine! :) It's so beautiful. I can't even describe how wonderful it is to hold this book in my hands. I don't really want to put it down, so I have it tucked under my arm while I'm typing. (Don't worry, I don't sweat.)

rtilryarms
11-10-2005, 05:59 AM
Lets have some more pics of people withthier books.

PS: If you write click on my picture you can save me as your computer background. Just in case you were getting frustrated.......

Vanessa
11-10-2005, 06:09 AM
Very nice picture Mike. You look so handsome standing next to the palm tree with SOS in hand.

maestrowork
11-10-2005, 06:23 AM
Got mine... now, should I pose naked with it, or wear a thong...

rtilryarms
11-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Got mine... now, should I pose naked with it, or wear a thong...

I'm thinking...Eskimo furs

rtilryarms
11-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Very nice picture Mike. You look so handsome standing next to the palm tree with SOS in hand.

I understand that Lasik surgery would do wonders for your afflictions..

(but thanks..shucks)

JennaGlatzer
11-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Mike, you sexy thang!

OK, a little more from Lulu:

The requirements from the UI team:
1. Photo should be of professional quality (digital, or digitally
scanned from a high quality print or negative).
2. Photo should be RGB color.
3. Size required: JPG larger than 440 x 313 pixels.

We will also need a clever caption for your photo, translated into the
language of your content. For caption ideas, check out the images on our
current homepages: http://www.lulu.com (http://www.lulu.com) and http://www.lulu.com/uk (http://www.lulu.com/uk)

We may crop the shot and if the image isn't quite that size send it
anyway and we'll let you know if it works. We could also get photos of
other authors from the project to rotate in. I'll leave that in your
hands.

---
I spoke with her, and she said we could rotate about 5 photos-- so anyone who wants to be a stahhhh on Lulu's homepage, git shootin'! :) You can send me your photo and any ideas for clever captions (by e-mail) and I'll send them on to Lulu.

AmyDoodle
11-10-2005, 11:49 PM
I got mine and it's BEYOOTIFUL! I don't know how soon til I can get a picture. After listening to the guys talk, I'm afraid I'll be overdressed.:)

jdkiggins
11-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Nice picture, Mike. It's great to put a face with the name. ;)

I received my copies today...just a few minutes ago in fact. :banana:
It's beautiful! :Clap:
My mom cried when I handed her her copy.

Ken Schneider
11-11-2005, 12:33 AM
rats, mine isn't here yet. oh the waiting, and right when i could use some uplifting.

i had my first ever anxiety attack, icky.

I feel ya' Jenna.

ken

Maybe tomorrow.

Alphabet
11-11-2005, 12:37 AM

Yes well - you've gone around making everyone cry! made me cry anyway... I'd think we ought to start a 'jdkiggins made me cry' thread, but you're safe because you are not the only culprit in the anthology, and that's all I'm saying (yeah, like anyone believes anything could be all I'd say!)

jdkiggins
11-11-2005, 01:17 AM
Yes well - you've gone around making everyone cry! made me cry anyway... I'd think we ought to start a 'jdkiggins made me cry' thread, but you're safe because you are not the only culprit in the anthology, and that's all I'm saying (yeah, like anyone believes anything could be all I'd say!)
:ROFL: Alpha, I sure hope your crying was only from reading touching pieces. I sure wouldn't want to think I've made tears for any other reason. ;):Hug2:

AmyDoodle
11-11-2005, 01:43 AM
Yours will come soon, Ken. I ordered mine on the 1st and got it today (upstate SC). I kept going to lulu to track it's progress. I felt better knowing where it was every night.

When you hold it in your hands, I promise it will be worth the wait.

rtilryarms
11-11-2005, 02:41 AM
Nice picture, Mike. It's great to put a face with the name. ;)

I received my copies today...just a few minutes ago in fact. :banana:
It's beautiful! :Clap:

Interesting,

Since I posted my pic the marriage proposals have dwindled to a drip in my emails and PM's.

I should have worn my tie!

JennaGlatzer
11-11-2005, 02:44 AM
Ken! You had an anxiety attack? Blech. Any idea what triggered it? (Sleep deprivation, caffeine, stress, etc. all add to the likelihood of it happening.) Hugs. Hope it never happens again.

Mike, I already married you once-- do I have to ask again?

jdkiggins
11-11-2005, 03:03 AM
Interesting,

Since I posted my pic the marriage proposals have dwindled to a drip in my emails and PM's.
I should have worn my tie!

Mike, I already married you once-- do I have to ask again?
No wonder, Mike. You're a two-timer.:ROFL:

Ken Schneider
11-11-2005, 03:16 AM
Ken! You had an anxiety attack? Blech. Any idea what triggered it? (Sleep deprivation, caffeine, stress, etc. all add to the likelihood of it happening.) Hugs. Hope it never happens again.

1. I assume they,(2 attacks), came from my being home alone, and not being able to go out,drive, or anything.

2. thinking about what happened to me on the O.R. table.

3. and then having a fear of complications of same.

ken

Shwebb
11-11-2005, 03:21 AM
Ken, sometimes anxiety attacks are brought on by something physical. Since what happened to you did affect your heart, it is possible that what you experienced was that your sympathetic nervous system suddenly kicked into high gear, causing the attack.

Not that I'm a doctor or anything, but not all anxiety attacks are psychologically triggered. Either way, it's a heck of a thing to go through.