PDA

View Full Version : Two Publishers

Sargentodiaz
07-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Am I doing the right thing?

I've got a publisher for my novel about a soldier, an Indian and the Sonora Desert. I'm quite pleased with the relationship as we already have a decent cover and an editor who works with Marines. He should understand my MC and his situation. The only problem is that the publisher, XOXO Publishing has a long list of erotic works. It's not really that much of a drawback as it's quite possible the majority of buyers for this novel and its sequel will be guys serving in the military and veterans.

When we first signed the contract, I submitted the first two novels of my Father Serra's Legacy to them and told another publisher that I was withdrawing it from them. But novels about Roman Catholic priests spreading The Word of God to Indians and building their mission in California somehow does not seem to be a good fit for a publisher with a lot of erotic books.

So, after a lot of thought, I contacted the second publisher and asked if they were still interested in the Father Serra Trilogy. Their answer was, "I will send the contract as soon as we receive the manuscript."

So now, I've got two publishers! And, I had to write XOXO to withdraw the submission of the two Father Serra novels. Hopefully, I laid it on very clearly how happy I am with our current efforts and am not withdrawing it for any other reason than how they fit with their list.

Am I stepping on it here? {Bluewood Publishing seems okay with, now to hope XOXO is too.}

Phaeal
07-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Sounds like the erotica publisher might not be the best fit for the priest novels, so another publisher may be best. I don't think it's that unusual for a writer who does widely different genres to have more than one publisher.

Good luck with both pubs!

scope
07-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Am I doing the right thing?

I've got a publisher for my novel about a soldier, an Indian and the Sonora Desert. I'm quite pleased with the relationship as we already have a decent cover and an editor who works with Marines.

When we first signed the contract, ...

Since apparently you don't have an agent, that issue is of no concern. But apparently you do have a contract with a publisher for your book -- XOXO Publishing. If I'm correct, what made you shop for a different publisher before knowing you had clear legal right to do so? Now you have to contact XOXO publisher and somehow try to get out of your contract before you can sign a contract with the publisher you really want. Sounds like you may have a problem on your hands, or am I reading this situation wrong?

Parametric
07-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Since apparently you don't have an agent, that issue is of no concern. But apparently you do have a contract with a publisher for your book -- XOXO Publishing. If I'm correct, what made you shop for a different publisher before knowing you had clear legal right to do so? Now you have to contact XOXO publisher and somehow try to get out of your contract before you can sign a contract with the publisher you really want. Sounds like you may have a problem on your hands, or am I reading this situation wrong?

I think the OP is happily contracted with publisher 1 for book A, and also submitted the unrelated books B and C to them, but has pulled those two from submission because publisher 2 would be a better fit.

Sargentodiaz
07-16-2011, 07:08 PM
The contract only held me to the sequel for Sonora Symphony.
In fact, XOXO wrote me back worrying that I had not picked a "bad" publisher, giving the name of one. When I responded who I wanted to go with, they actually wished me luck!
All I doing now is waiting for the contract from Bluewood Publishing.