PDA

View Full Version : Sending a partial package to an agent.

kkwrites
07-15-2011, 06:21 AM
Hello folks,

I was fortunate enough to garner some interest from an agent. He requested my partial, a synopsis, and my writing credentials. A SASE is unnecessary because he responds through e-mail.

Should I simply include these items and assume that he will remember our e-mail correspondence, or should I include a cover page with clarification? I'm assuming the former, but it never hurts to make sure.

kellion92
07-15-2011, 06:28 AM
I assume you are sending via snail mail, in which case you should include a brief cover letter that says, "I'm pleased to send you the materials you requested for my XX-word novel, TITLE. I've included a synopsis and X page partial, and I hope you enjoy them. etc." or something like that.

Or, if you're sending by email, say the same but append the cover to the original email request, changing the subject line to "Requested materials: TITLE."

Good luck!

RainbowDragon
07-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Always always always send a cover page snail mail. You want to introduce the requested material and put the agent in a positive frame of mind by demonstrating how lovely you would be to work with by your polite correspondence.

You can also include a copy of the e-mail query and the agent's request. Thank the agent for his/her interest first and again in closing.

If sending via e-mail, always include an introduction and reminder of what you are sending (and let your server copy the e-mail chain in case the agent needs a refresher).

Congratulations on the request and good luck!

AlishaS
07-15-2011, 11:22 AM
I always reply to the e-mail that asks for the partial (unless they tell you to send it some where else, in which case I copy the previous correspondance into the new e-mail) then add something to refresh the agents memory, something short and to the point.
I also changed the subjected line, slightly, I just put a "Requested Material or Submission" infront of the previous subject line.

mccardey
07-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Yep - cover note. Keep it short and salient. Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!

Terie
07-15-2011, 11:37 AM
On a recent hardcopy package I sent in response to a request for a partial, I included a short cover letter, a photocopy of the request, and a printout of my original query, along with the synopsis and partial MS. That way, the agent doesn't have to try to remember what I said in the query...it's all there in one handy package.

DSA
07-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Also, if sending requested material by snail mail, put "Requested Material" on the mailing envelope.

Anne Lyle
07-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Definitely a cover letter - you could combine that with the credentials if you like, that way you don't end up with a letter that's only a sentence or two.

It just looks so much more friendly to start with "Dear (name of agent)" rather than an anonymous-looking heap of manuscript pages!

kkwrites
07-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Also, if sending requested material by snail mail, put "Requested Material" on the mailing envelope.

Bah! Wish I had checked this thread one last time before sending out. Oh well, I'm sure the agent will come to the conclusion that they are requested materials...

Terie
07-16-2011, 02:25 AM

Bah! Wish I had checked this thread one last time before sending out. Oh well, I'm sure the agent will come to the conclusion that they are requested materials...

Don't worry about missing that out. Whoever reads the cover letter will see that it's requested material, and besides, a lot of cheeky people put 'Requested Material' on packages that aren't actually, yanno, requested, so that doesn't carry as much weight as it used to. :)

Oh, and good luck!

djf881
07-18-2011, 09:14 AM
There should be instructions for how to send a partial in the agent's e-mail requesting it. Some agents prefer the text pasted in the body of the e-mail, but many prefer it sent as a file attachment.

There should be a brief message in the body text of the e-mail, reminding the agent what your book is about (you can re-use part of your query for this) and the date he requested it.

If you send your partial as a file attachment, paste your query letter into it on the first page, so the agent will remember which manuscript he is looking at if he prints it out or sends it to an e-reader.

Terie
07-18-2011, 09:32 AM
There should be instructions for how to send a partial in the agent's e-mail requesting it. Some agents prefer the text pasted in the body of the e-mail, but many prefer it sent as a file attachment.

There should be a brief message in the body text of the e-mail, reminding the agent what your book is about (you can re-use part of your query for this) and the date he requested it.

If you send your partial as a file attachment, paste your query letter into it on the first page, so the agent will remember which manuscript he is looking at if he prints it out or sends it to an e-reader.

Since the OP stated that 'an SASE is not required', I think one can safely assume that the agent didn't provide instructions for how he wants the material sent in an e-mail because he actually asked for hardcopy. The OP isn't asking for advice about e-mail but for advice about what, other than the partial and synopsis, to include in the hardcopy package.