unemployment and residence question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I have a character who has just been laid off a job in Pennsylvania, where she lives. However, she's also just been left some property and a little money in North Carolina (the house is haunted, but of course she doesn't know that yet!). If she moves to NC, does anyone know if she can still collect unemployment from PA? I checked the PA unemployment compensation FAQ and it didn't cover that question. It's not a major aspect of the plot, but it would be nice to get it right. Thanks!

Cabinscribe

Often ignored by muses
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

I was an Unemployment Insurance Claims Examiner for 10 years in New York State, and the short answer is yes, she probably can collect ....

However, even though the person moves out of state, they would have to continue to meet the eligibility requirements of the state in which they worked; for example, being ready, willing & able to work, actively seeking work, etc.

So, if your character came in to a bunch of money and decided to withdraw from the labor market, it is unlikely that she would continue to get Unemployment Insurance checks.

This is a general answer, because all states handle things a little differently. Also, depending on the context of your story, it may not be too important to know chapter and verse of the law.

If you think it is really important to your story, though, I would do more digging. See if PA has a website where it lists its various laws, or failing everthing else, call one of the PA unemployment offices, and, if you can get anyone to answer the phone, ;) , ask them what the laws are.

Good luck!

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! That's exactly what I needed. :) She has come into some money--not a lot, but enough to fix up the house she's inherited and not have to worry about getting a new job immediately. So I may not bother with unemployment at all. She has a severance package, too.

Thanks again!

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a little detail that might be relevant regarding the user end of the unemployment-claim experience. I don't know about PA specifically, but in CA, your EDD check comes with a verification form for the next pay period in the same envelope. You then have to mail the form on a specific day. You need to keep doing this regularly to get checks, and if you don't return the form, you risk losing your claim. If PA doesn't care that you live in another state when receiving the checks, and they'd mail them to NC, then it's not a problem. However, if PA wants you to be in-state to received unemployment money and they employ a similar process, then you really would have to be there to make it work.

It sounds like you may not need the unemployment element anyway, but I thought I would mention that detail.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
mkcbunny said:
If PA doesn't care that you live in another state when receiving the checks, and they'd mail them to NC, then it's not a problem.

PA will direct-deposit unemployment benefits into your bank account at no charge. I don't know if they can set this up when you first apply, but direct deposit can certainly start by the second pay period (after you get the first check by mail, you can send in a form with a deposit slip etc. to start direct deposit). So if you kept your PA bank account and had your mail forwarded by someone, they wouldn't even know that you were in NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.