Burying a Victorian Journal, And Why I Failed Chemistry

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need to know what, if anything, would preserve a small leather journal with paper that has been placed in a silver box for 100 years (late 1800's) and buried in the dirt.

Thus far, I have salt sprinkled in the silver box, because it relates to the story, not so much as it acts as a preservative. And I use 'silver' for non-corrosive. However, I'm not sure this will even work. ... I've thought about having the person who owns the box seal the lip of the lid with candle wax ... but I don't know if such thought, practice would've been given during this period.

Input or knowledge greatly appreciated.

hugs
kimmi

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
First, I believe salt is very corrosive on silver, so try to keep it off. Second, the best way to preserve paper, at least is to keep it somewhere dry. Are you sure it couldn't be hidden off the ground, rather than in it? And, if they were sealing letters and jars of preserves with wax, why not a box?

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you kindly, frimble. I thought about that, salt and silver. Thank you!

Tin would rust, what about placing the journal in a brass box?

Yeah, it has to be buried in the ground ..:(

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just glanced up and I see an old glass jar I have, a number 10 pail (labeled on the bottom). That looks to be about that age. Maybe I should think jar instead, although the lid is a little corrosive.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glass or Ceramics, sealed in wax and wrapped in oil cloth...
Thanks. But, how so, tg?

Wrap journal in (gun?) oil cloth, place in ceramic or glass jar and seal with wax?

Does the oil in the cloth act as a protection for leather and paper? =)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If the jar's airtight, then the paper should be okay. Without being exposed to light or elements, then the writing should be preserved. well enough. The oil will help keep out water, which could seep in if something happened to the seal, but it will also keep out things like ants or mites or worms.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, Cyia.

I have to sprinkle in salt, so is there any reason I can't if I use a jar, wrap journal in an oil cloth and seal?

thank you!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Salt is a corrosive and will damage the paper over a long period of time. It will even eat through the oil cloth...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Glass jars for preserving food were patented in 1858, so: will your journal (and box, if you still need it) fit in a Mason jar? If so, either the glass top with metal bail or the metal top and ring are available, and either could be coated with wax for greater security. Salt in the container will still probably wreak havoc on the contents. Although, if the journal were completely wrapped in leather, the salt might act as a preservative. (For the leather. Like a mummy.)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mega thanks.

Lead's great, but, no, soldering is not an option, but thanks for the idea.

I'll need to leave the salt out, and will probably have to place the small journal in a mason jar of sorts ...

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A lead box probably would serve, but a glass jar would also work. The pages probably were of high quality paper, so they would survive just fine. The leather cover probably would dry out, but I have read many books that have been on library shelves since the mid-1800's, ad they were still useful. Since books can survive, you should avoid any great attempt to preserve the journal.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Ooh, speaking as an artist with knowledge of archival storage, oilcloth bad.

The oil in oilcloth won't preserve anything. Those oils are drying oils, and they notoriously yellow and get brittle and nasty over time. It's complicated chemistry, of importance to oil painters and preservationists, but that's basically it.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Cheap wood pulp paper was invented around 1860, and while it revolutionized publishing, it's been devastating to preservationists. It's not just very cheap newsprint, although that goes bad way faster than other papers. A lot of good books from the last 150 years are slowly burning themselves up with their own acidity.

Your journal had best either predate 1860, or be very finely made with good cotton rag paper.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Cheap wood pulp paper was invented around 1860, and while it revolutionized publishing, it's been devastating to preservationists. It's not just very cheap newsprint, although that goes bad way faster than other papers. A lot of good books from the last 150 years are slowly burning themselves up with their own acidity.

Your journal had best either predate 1860, or be very finely made with good cotton rag paper.

Yup. I agree...cotton rag or potentially even vellum. (Although that would be crazy expensive.)

That said, some 150 year old books do still exist that were made on wood pulp, just if you go that way, it's going to be hard to read/very fragile etc. due to the acidity.

NDoyle

Writer, Editor, Photographer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.noreen-doyle.com
How much salt are we talking about here? Unless the amount is excessive, if the area is exposed to rain, that would cause it to dissolve and be distributed more widely through the soil, so the salt might not be a factor at all.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What comes to mind is something that my grandmother mentioned her mother doing when she was a girl (1920's): When G-Gramma wanted to preserve something, it was wrapped tight in clean cloth, put into a mason jar with a separator (usually metal or glass) and then she poured parafin wax atop the separator and sealed the mason jar. Gramma remembered it as weird, but that's how G-Gramma kept things like the deed to the house, wills, etc, all down in the root cellar. She always knew where it was, it wasn't going to accidently get lost or burn or whatever. Gramma assumed it was the turn-of-the-century farm equivalent to hiding things in the freezer before there were freezers.

Food for thought, at least.