Spoof Query Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.W.

Registered
Reaction score
Please critique my SPOOF query letter.

Dear Lit Agent,

Lance McWinslow is your average everyday Iguodalian. Then one day he begins receiving letters from the dead uncle he never knew he had. Now Lance must figure out if the uncle he never knew he had is really dead. If Lance fails he will not be able to inherit the kingdom of Iguodalia, for unbeknownst to Lance he is the half Crown Prince.

My 280,000 word political thriller, Delilah’s Dream, follows a young man who must chose between the uncle he loved and the kingdom he must lead.

Please contact me using the following enfo provided below. In your reply please note your qualifications for representing my work. If you don’t hear back from me within a week it is because I have not chosen you as my agent.

Sincerly,

J-Roc

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like how you put "spoof" in bold, black text...ya know, to make it clear this is a spoof. ;)

I thought the last part was quite funny. If only we could get away with that in a query. Ha!

J.W.

Registered
Reaction score
I like how you put "spoof" in bold, black text...ya know, to make it clear this is a spoof. ;)

I thought the last part was quite funny. If only we could get away with that in a query. Ha!

Having read a lot of query's in QLH I felt the need to ensure people understood this was a spoof and not real.

In fact, the first query I ever posted could have been considered a spoof. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

justkay

Trying to get it write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kay-boeger.blogspot.com
Please contact me using the following enfo provided below. In your reply please note your qualifications for representing my work. If you don’t hear back from me within a week it is because I have not chosen you as my agent.

Yes, very fond of this.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
The scary part is that agents get real queries like this. :tongue

JayMan

Like Burt Reynolds in Gator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello J.W., I thought the conventional wisdom was to request that the agents send a batch of cookies with their reply? That way, you can weed out the agents who are not serious about your MS.

Bleeding Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Hello J.W., I thought the conventional wisdom was to request that the agents send a batch of cookies with their reply? That way, you can weed out the agents who are not serious about your MS.

Cookies? I thought it was homemade cake… :(

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Mine came back with a bottle of Bay Rum. It was a little harsh on the throat, but man did I have vivid dreams that night.

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
lol, the best part is indeed the last line. At one point, I feel like using "Dear Lit Agent" would be quite hilarious as well.

That or "Dear Person Lady".

Status
Not open for further replies.