PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2

Darren Frey
07-15-2011, 03:55 AM
Who is going to a midnight showing tonight? I will do you one even better. My wife and I are going to see it at 3am. I am so excited that I am willing to stay up all night to see it. I am a bit nervous though because not to give anything away but I saw things in the trailer that was not in the book. I just hope it lives up to everyones expectations. Anyone have any thoughts to share?

mscelina
07-15-2011, 05:24 AM
I'm looking forward to it--a lot. I'm not that concerned about getting away from the book--mostly because I think the pacing could only be helped by a film script. So not tonight--I have an early appointment in the morning--but at noon.

This is the first Potter midnight showing I will have missed, but i'm just not up to standing in that line right now. I'll evade all the kids and get it early tomorrow--and my review will be out by four.

The experience will be bittersweet to say the least.

defcon6000
07-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Looks more promising than the last one, which was a bore fest. But no, no midnight showing for me. However, I love all the parodies coming out, especially this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51CnfdngFM4&feature=feedu). (youtube link)

Sarah G
07-15-2011, 05:39 AM
I'm looking forward to going. Not to the midnight one though. I'm going with a friend maybe late next week can't wait!
:hooray:

Cyia
07-15-2011, 05:41 AM
I watched my first HP movie last week when one of the ABC networks ran a marathon. I went through the others over the week, and am definitely looking forward to the new one. It looks promising.

VP_Benni
07-15-2011, 06:09 AM
Looks more promising than the last one, which was a bore fest. But no, no midnight showing for me. However, I love all the parodies coming out, especially this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51CnfdngFM4&feature=feedu). (youtube link)

:roll: I love that!

I was thisclose to watching a Potter marathon this week and seeing the midnight showing tonight... No luck :( Probably going to see it next Tuesday instead since I'll be gone all weekend.

~Amber~

Jersey Chick
07-15-2011, 06:12 AM
I'll wait a few weeks, then go. Last fall/winter, I saw the first half about three or four weeks after its release, in the middle of the day. It was me and two other people. First time I ever went to a movie alone and I LOVED it. I swear I'll see all my movies this way.

Except for this one - I promised my daughter I'd take her to see it. It'll be fun because she's just getting into HP in a huge way. :D

Zelenka
07-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Just back from the midnight showing here in Glasgow. Have to say I enjoyed it a lot more than the last one, although some things that didn't make sense for me when I read the book still don't make sense for me. I was kinda hoping they would when I saw them played out on screen. But hey. And despite my resolutions, I ended up crying. But then I still cry at The Lion King.

katiemac
07-15-2011, 06:54 AM
I've seen this more than once, and although I'm not quite sure, I think it's my favorite. What stands out most in this one is the acting -- Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman are stupendous given their screen time, and Dan Radcliffe is absolutely on his game here. He's really, really good.

Although there are some things I wish played out a little closer to the book, I do believe fans are going to be very happy with this one. I'm surprised how sad it was to actually see the castle fall.

And there was at least one scene in the early trailers that was new to the film but they removed in the final cut.

DavidZahir
07-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Tomorrow is one of my best friend's birthday. I'm taking her to the show. And I'm bringing my wand. So there.

And for the record the best parody so far is this one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvgVMecNp0c)

VP_Benni
07-15-2011, 07:09 AM
xDDD I'm still laughing at that, David, that's good...

~Amber~

JSSchley
07-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Wow. I have to agree with KatieMac. They all really brought their A-game.

And I am so proud of myself for only using one tissue, although my eyes were wet pretty much from the start of the battle.

fireluxlou
07-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Harry Potter was my childhood (I'm only 22) so I grew up with it. Very sad to see it go. I will watch it when it comes out on DVD. Then I'll get the box set.

KLynx
07-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Did anyone go to the 3D showing? I was wondering exactly how much of the movie is in 3D, and whether it seems worth it to spend the extra cash to see it at the IMAX or if it was another HBP 15 minutes worth?

Nakhlasmoke
07-15-2011, 02:29 PM
I have a massive list of spoilery reactions.

Hmmm. Do we have spoiler code on the board?

K. Taylor
07-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I saw it in 3D, but there were only a couple scenes where I saw it added something more. It was also a big screen - IMAX size, pretty much, just not labeled that way as this screen is curved (which is not my preference). The mister bought the tickets without telling me what he was selecting, or we would've gone with 2D.

Loved the Holmes and Batman trailers included.

This movie will do HUGE business this weekend - there were probably ten long lines at our theater for the midnight shows.

I agree about everyone bringing their A-game. I used two tissues, but part of that was my nose running.

I'm sure the DVD will have more footage, as they've put out extended versions of the other films, too.

Nakhlasmoke
07-15-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm sure the DVD will have more footage, as they've put out extended versions of the other films, too.

oh please please extended pensieve please please *prays quietly in a corner*

katiemac
07-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Did anyone go to the 3D showing? I was wondering exactly how much of the movie is in 3D, and whether it seems worth it to spend the extra cash to see it at the IMAX or if it was another HBP 15 minutes worth?

I've seen it in 2D and IMAX 3D. I'd stick with 2D on your first viewing. Not that the 3D isn't any good, I always find it a little distracting.

As for spoilers, the film's open, so I say reactions are fair game.

kyliesmiley16
07-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Haha that parody is funny as, David =P I had only seen the EIP one.

Saw the movie 72 hours ago =P Was brilliant, although I likewise have spoilery reactions hehe. Some parts was disappointed that could have stayed truer to the book, and I have been pretty nit-picking of it, but I think that's because I really don't want it to end. I imagined it all completely differently in the book and despite that, it is right up there with my favourites :) Snape, McGonagall and Neville were fantastic.

I've seen it in 2d and IMAX 3D. I'd stick with 2D on your first viewing.

What about 2nd viewing? =P I saw it in 2D but will likely be seeing it again with my Mum. I've only seen a handful of movies in 3D and sometimes I find it more distracting.

Darren Frey
07-15-2011, 06:58 PM
I saw it in 3D last night and the 3D was not that spectacular. I will say however that IMO it is my favorite Potter movie. It was better than Deathly Hallows Part 1, HBP, and Order Of The Phoenix. There were a few things that were different from the book but it was not enough to make much of a difference. I will say there were 2 scenes where I felt teary eyed. The guy who plays Snape gave his best performance in this movie. I absolutely loved it and cannot wait for it to come out on DVD. I dont expect it to win any Academy Awards since for some reason they don't recognize fantasy films that are better than Lord Of The Rings, but in my book it is the best movie this year.

maggi90w1
07-15-2011, 08:43 PM
I saw it yesterday and liked it a lot, even though it felt more like the ending to a movie than a movie, but I guess that makes sense.
The whole battle was fantastic. Minus the Harry-defeats-Voldemort part. That one was a little...short?....anticlimatic? 5-10 Minutes more would have been nice.
Oh, and I could have lived without the cheesy epilogue.

I feel a little funny right now. I was 10 when the first movie came out. Back then Harry Potter was all funny wizards with colorful cloaks and pointy hats and now it's death and torture and dead children lying around.
The series kinda matured at the same pace I did. Very cool.

God, I wish I could write a series like J.K. Rowling. That so many people love (or LOVE!!!!!11one) what she wrote must feel amazing, but I guess Harry Potter is just special.

Darren Frey
07-16-2011, 01:10 AM
My wife brought up a good point to me after the movie that I never would have thought of.

SPOILER ALERT!

Ron got the basilisk tooth to destroy the other horcruxes, in Chamber of Secrets Harry (who is a horcrux) was bit by the basilisk which if it went the way all the other horcruxes did he would have been destroyed instantly.

END SPOILER

Has anyone else thought of that though?

katiemac
07-16-2011, 01:17 AM
My wife brought up a good point to me after the movie that I never would have thought of.

SPOILER ALERT!

Ron got the basilisk tooth to destroy the other horcruxes, in Chamber of Secrets Harry (who is a horcrux) was bit by the basilisk which if it went the way all the other horcruxes did he would have been destroyed instantly.

END SPOILER

Has anyone else thought of that though?

In both the book and the film Dumbledore says Voldemort has to be the one to kill Harry for the Horcrux to be destroyed. There's not much more of an explanation beyond that, however.

Cricket18
07-16-2011, 01:32 AM
Saw it last night in 3-D. Agree, it didn't add much. Thought this was the best one. Amazing and very satisfying.

Now that the series is over, the nominations will come. Maybe not for the three kids, but supporting actors like Rickman, Gambon, and Smith, perhaps. And a nomination for Best Film could happen.....Certainly for FX as well.

ebennet68
07-16-2011, 04:42 AM
Saw it this afternoon with my husband. Thought Alan Rickman really shined, his best performance as Snape by a mile. Satisfied with this one overall, just sad that it's all over.

Nightmirror
07-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Watched it at the midnight premier and the following day. It followed the book well and is probably the best of the films, at least IMO. They really captured the essence of what Rowling was going for. If only the adventure could go on...

Leah J. Utas
07-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Very satisfying movie. Smith was magnificent as was Rickman. I had tears a few times. The final few scenes wrapped it nicely. I am sad to see it end, but it ended well.

DavidZahir
07-16-2011, 06:20 PM
As far as that goes Harry didn't die. If he had, then the horcrux would have been destroyed. But he didn't so it wasn't..

Saw it in 2D, which frankly I prefer. Like any filmed adaptation of a huge, beloved book this cuts or changes favorite moments. Hardly a person I've spoken to hasn't bewailed the loss of some detail they adored. Don't see a way around that, because everyone cited different favorites cut. On its own--given this is not a book but a movie--I generally liked it very much. Curiously, I did not find it as emotionally involving as DH1 nor my personal fave HP film, i.e. POA. Yet during the pensieve scene I shed a tear, and what happened to Lavender upset me (we see something more explicit than in the novel).

My companion was upset at the loss/change of some nuances involving Neville. Me, not so much. Must say that Alan Rickman gave a splendid performance on very many levels--and that Helena Bonham Carter seemed to have had the single most fun acting bit in the whole flick when she got to play Hermione, masquerading as Bellatrix.

Been reading so many complaints about the "aging" and "youthening" effects, but honestly they seemed fine to me. Keep in mind we see Harry, Ginny, Hermione and Ron only nineteen years later, which makes them on the average thirty six years old. On a technical level, I was particularly impressed at how the filmmakers managed to trim and work out huge chunks of sometimes-complex exposition. Lots of really cool background stuff got lost, but it is all there in the novels. For example the way Voldemort died once his last horcrux was destroyed, with the corresponding bit about making more of how the Elder Wand simply would not work properly for anyone but Harry--that is a far more visual way of telling the tale of the last battle, which also allowed Ron and Hermione to do something more central and do it together. Likewise in this version Neville doesn't act because Harry told him to do something--he acted on his own, which makes him a tad more heroic in my eyes.

Other bits I loved...Helena Ravenclaw...McGonnegal getting to do a lot more...the image of totaltitarian Hogwarts...the dragon...the kisses (including the non-canon one that was set up but never happened on screen)...the cool cleverness of Draco's mum...Voldemort's shredded soul (that was soooooo creepy)...how good Hermione looked in that black outfit (now I really want to see Emma Watson as a vampire--oh, who's kidding who? I've always wanted that)...Tonks and Remus as they reached for each other (that was in the trailers--no SPOILERS tag needed).

Things that bothered me for one reason or another...the bit with Snape's tears...Harry not giving Voldemort a chance at remorse...more about the Deathly Hallows and Dumbledore would have been very welcom...the relative shortness of a certain duel between two very different witches...Hagrid was barely there at all...mostly nuance stuff.

Eldritch
07-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Loved it!
Lots of sniffling going on in the audience. Also lots of clapping during the Mrs. Weasley/Bellatrix scene and the Neville/Nigini scene.

PrincessofPersia
07-17-2011, 04:57 AM
I saw it at midnight Friday morning in 2D at the oldest drive-in in New York. We even used the speakers that have been there since 1947. And. It. Was. Awesome!

Loved it. I'd say my piece, but David already said most of it. I actually liked the shortness of the fight. But I also loved the absurdly quick, nitty gritty fight at the end of Kill Bill Vol. 2. As with the book, I was not a fan of the epilogue. It didn't ruin it or anything for me, but I could have done without.

lastlittlebird
07-17-2011, 07:41 AM
I thought they did really well. I loved all the detail and they kept most of the good bits in.
I thought it was a shame they didn't explore the Dumbledore story further, but they did at least acknowledge it in a token way with the picture of Ariana and Aberforth being a grump.
I also wish they had pushed the Snape storyline more in all the films. The revelations concerning Snape were the most emotional part of the book for me, while I felt in the film they somewhat came out of nowhere.
Oh well... can't have everything.

Darren Frey
07-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I think that Alan Rickman deserves an oscar for this.

Nightmirror
07-18-2011, 09:47 AM

Yeah, I definitely agree.

fireluxlou
07-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Ok I watched it amazing!

I am going to read the books now because when I was younger I got part way through the Philosopher's Stone and gave up because my reading comprehension skills weren't good enough. Now I will :D

Anninyn
07-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Cried like a baby, and my husband laughed at me.

But I wasn;t the only one, half the audience was doing that weird sniff-gulp noise you get when adults are trying to cry silently.

There was applause.

Brilliant.

They skipped some stuff I would have loved, but that was inevitable. But it really captured the feel of the book for me, ad I was glad they pulled no punches during the assault on hogwarts.

alpaca
07-18-2011, 10:13 PM
I saw it Friday, and absolutely loved it. I have read all of the books, and was interested to see how the films would finish out the series. I'm glad they preserved the ending that was in the final book.

TerraAnn
07-18-2011, 11:31 PM

Agree! Agree 1 million percent!

I think they all did great in the film and there were a bunch of parts that got me misty eyed. But Alan Rickman? I bawled. Seriously bawled. From "You have your mother's eyes" all the way to when they showed him holding Lily...gah! Alan Rickman dominated. And Snape will always be one of my favorite characters ever.

letters2you
07-19-2011, 12:45 AM
I saw it at midnight. Definitely one of the best out of the movie series. I do wish the pensieve scene was a bit longer though. Neville lived up to my expectations, so I was throughly pleased. I was so proud of Dan too! He's gotten so much better!

QueenViv
07-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Alan Rickman was amazing. He'll always be Hans Gruber to me, that's the first thing I think about when I see his name. He was the perfect villain. Now he'll be Snape to a whole generation. And once again he did a terrific job! Another great character!

I know Harry will always be the hero, but to me he's the least heroic of the characters in the book. He's just an ordinary kid who was shoved into a situation he didn't ask for. I love the fact that in the end it was Neville who killed Voldemort. I find it awesome and ironic that such a great wizard feared the wrong boy all along!!! It feels incredibly Greek to me!!! At least that what I chose to get from it... :)

I have several issues with the book... I feel that it's all over the place some times and the bloodshed... well, that was anti-climatic IMO. The movie kind of fixed some of that for me. At the end of the book I was taking bets with my boyfriend to see who would die next. JK Rowling killed so many people it kind missed the desired effect. It wasn't shocking anymore. It was annoying. In the movie all the important deaths are shown in the same sequence. That was a better way to show that war is brutal and it kills indiscriminately. I didn't play "who is gonna die now?"... not even once.
All in all, it was a great end to the series.

Toothpaste
07-19-2011, 07:53 AM
QueenViv: Uh . . . response to your SPOILER: Neville didn't kill Voldemort. He destroyed the final horcrux which then made Voldemort mortal which then meant Harry could kill him. Which he did. Not saying Neville isn't heroic, but come on, Harry does a heck of a lot of stuff especially in the last book that is very hero worthy - battling people, facing personal demons, oh and, you know, sacrificing his own life.

QueenViv
07-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Oh, I know. I've read the books, Toothpaste. :) Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. But I was actually joking about the editing. That's what it looked like to me when I saw it. My friend, who hasn't read the books, also brought it up afterwards. Besides, Neville is a far more interesting character and his arc is far better - even though he's only a secondary character. That's why I said "At least that what I chose to get from it..."

I know the books have many fans and I think it's rightfully so. It's a great premise and JK Rowling's style is amazing. Plot-wise, though, it not all it should be after the fifth book IMO. I don't know what happened,but she seems to have shifted gears and focused on other things rather than the books. Maybe there were changes in her personal life or the movies distracted her somehow.

I don't want to piss anyone off, but Harry is not heroic (once again: IMO). He spends most of his time throughout the seven books - and especially after book four - bitching. When it's not one thing, it's another. I get it he's a kid growing up in incredibly hard circumstances, but come on! At some point he should have manned up (for a lack of a better word).

Ron, Hermione, Neville... they all seem more interesting than Harry. He only grows up on the second half of the last book... that's when he takes charge. But by then I was already in it for the others... besides his sacrifice wasn't that much of "oh, he's the hero" moment for me. It was moving because, again, JK Rowling can write beautifully. I guess it came a little too late for me. And again going back to Neville: he defied Voldermort and killed Nagini in front of everyone... even though he knew it would be his death sentence. I mean... it's Voldermort's pet and last horcrux! Still, Neville knew what he had to do and he did it. Harry wasn't the only one willing to die for the cause.

Once again: I'm sorry if any fans are offended by my comments. They're not meant to do that. It's just my take on the series. The main thing was that HP fans have an awesome movie to end their beloved series!!!

fireluxlou
07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Oh, I know. I've read the books, Toothpaste. :) Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. But I was actually joking about the editing. That's what it looked like to me when I saw it. My friend, who hasn't read the books, also brought it up afterwards. Besides, Neville is a far more interesting character and his arc is far better - even though he's only a secondary character. That's why I said "At least that what I chose to get from it..."

I know the books have many fans and I think it's rightfully so. It's a great premise and JK Rowling's style is amazing. Plot-wise, though, it not all it should be after the fifth book IMO. I don't know what happened,but she seems to have shifted gears and focused on other things rather than the books. Maybe there were changes in her personal life or the movies distracted her somehow.

I don't want to piss anyone off, but Harry is not heroic (once again: IMO). He spends most of his time throughout the seven books - and especially after book four - bitching. When it's not one thing, it's another. I get it he's a kid growing up in incredibly hard circumstances, but come on! At some point he should have manned up (for a lack of a better word).

Ron, Hermione, Neville... they all seem more interesting than Harry. He only grows up on the second half of the last book... that's when he takes charge. But by then I was already in it for the others... besides his sacrifice wasn't that much of "oh, he's the hero" moment for me. It was moving because, again, JK Rowling can write beautifully. I guess it came a little too late for me. And again going back to Neville: he defied Voldermort and killed Nagini in front of everyone... even though he knew it would be his death sentence. I mean... it's Voldermort's pet and last horcrux! Still, Neville knew what he had to do and he did it. Harry wasn't the only one willing to die for the cause.

Once again: I'm sorry if any fans are offended by my comments. They're not meant to do that. It's just my take on the series. The main thing was that HP fans have an awesome movie to end their beloved series!!!

You have to remember that Harry grew up in completely different circumstances to his friends. All of his friends had parents and families, they had relatively normal lives. Harry was an orphan kept in a cupboard for 11 years and his most formulative years. The Dursley's reminded him every day of how abnormal he was and how freak like his family were. He didn't grow up in a positive environment. Kids especially abused kids mature at a much slower rate than their peers. When he discovered that he deserved much more than what he had been given his whole life. He actually felt like he belonged.

I'm reading the books now and I think he does grow but not as fast as his peers did. He did not have a normal upbringing. I think it's unfair to compare him to his friends.

I also don't think man up is a good turn of phrase to begin with. It sets all sorts of impossible standards plus it is misogynist.

Toothpaste
07-19-2011, 06:28 PM
I totally disagree with you QueenViv (about Harry's story arc especially), but I'm not offended :) . It is after all only a book. I also think yours is actually the more common feeling towards the series, many people preferred the secondary characters to Harry. I'm one of the few who actually liked the boy himself (though Remus - up until he met Tonks - is my fav). Heck, I'm one of those few people who doesn't think Snape was ever truly heroic (though Rickman's performance elevated the character for me so much in this film - kind of like Sean Bean as Boromir in LOTR), the only reason he did what he did was because he loved a woman. Not because it was the right thing to do. And I know a lot of people think loving one person obsessively from afar is noble somehow (I don't personally, I think it puts a lot of pressure on the one being loved to feel guilty she doesn't feel the same etc), but none of his other actions in the rest of his life were quality - and I can never get behind a teacher who is so unkind to his students (lest we forget, he said some horrible things to his non-Slytherin students). But it doesn't matter who one's fav characters are, what makes the books so lovely is that there are so many different characters to love (and hate :) ), who all have their own personal arcs to be inspired by.

lndsymllr
07-19-2011, 06:46 PM
I saw the midnight viewing and again last Friday night. I loved it. I know a lot of people didn't like the aging process they did, but I thought it looked pretty good. They all looked pretty convincing to me to.But I completely broke down when Snape cried for Lily. Actually...I cried a lot in this movie. Although I am sad to see it go, it definitely went out with a bang!

mollyme123
07-19-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm going to see the movie this weekend and can't wait... reading all the reviews have made me even more excited!

PrincessofPersia
07-19-2011, 10:31 PM
I totally disagree with you QueenViv (about Harry's story arc especially), but I'm not offended :) . It is after all only a book. I also think yours is actually the more common feeling towards the series, many people preferred the secondary characters to Harry. I'm one of the few who actually liked the boy himself (though Remus - up until he met Tonks - is my fav). Heck, I'm one of those few people who doesn't think Snape was ever truly heroic (though Rickman's performance elevated the character for me so much in this film - kind of like Sean Bean as Boromir in LOTR), the only reason he did what he did was because he loved a woman. Not because it was the right thing to do. And I know a lot of people think loving one person obsessively from afar is noble somehow (I don't personally, I think it puts a lot of pressure on the one being loved to feel guilty she doesn't feel the same etc), but none of his other actions in the rest of his life were quality - and I can never get behind a teacher who is so unkind to his students (lest we forget, he said some horrible things to his non-Slytherin students). But it doesn't matter who one's fav characters are, what makes the books so lovely is that there are so many different characters to love (and hate :) ), who all have their own personal arcs to be inspired by.

I agree with you about Snape to a degree. He did it primarily because he loved a woman, and Harry was a piece of her. But he did start to care about him at some point (which we see in his memories), and while pining for someone from afar isn't really heroic or romantic in my view, the woman he loved from afar was dead, so there wasn't really any chance of guilting her into loving him.

But I do like Harry, and I do think he is heroic. I'm not sure how so many people can discount everything he did, particularly towards the end of the series and in the last book. But I guess you and I are in the minority.

Smish
07-20-2011, 12:47 AM
I was majorly disappointed. I thought the movie deviated from the book in many unnecessary and silly ways (particularly involving the Battle of Hogwarts, and especially the final scene with Voldemort).

I'm a loyalist to books, though, and am frequently disappointed by movie adaptations. :rolleyes:

I will agree that the actors all did a wonderful job. And the visual effects were excellent.

DavidZahir
07-20-2011, 01:41 AM
Well, regarding Neville, methinks the plot is different between book and movie. In the film, it certainly looked as if Harry was ultimately buying time for Neville to kill the last Horcrux, and in that moment Neville killed Voldemort. It is a simpler, more visual plot than that in the novel. Myself, I didn't mind that. I will politely disagree over whether Snape ever grew to care for Harry Potter himself. Rather, he had profoundly mixed feelings about Harry, not least that the lad looked so much like his father! But my interpretation of Alan Rickman's Snape was that all those years of acting on behalf of the good-guys had awakened more of a conscience in him. To quote a teacher of mine "If you do not behave the way you think, after a time you think as you behave." I would also maintain this is supported in the books regarding the memories, where Snape says something like "These days the only people I've seen die are those I could not save." Alan Rickman was amazing, but then he always is--even though he's almost twice Snape's age! Honestly, Snape was about twenty when Harry was born! As far as Harry Potter goes, I'm gonna say he was genuinely brave throughout. Not a saint, but enduring a great deal as well as playing a pivatol role. Examples: Training Dumbledore's Army, saving Ron Weasely's life as well as Ginny's, saving Hermione back in Year One, going to such elaborate lengths to save Sirius Black, successfully breaking into Gringotts, shaming Lupin into returning to his family, quickly organizing the escape from Malfoy Manor, saving Draco's life, figuring out where the Diadem was, getting Ron to destroy one of the Horcruxes, etc. etc. etc. I'm not taking anything away from Neville or Hermione or Luna or Ron or anyone, but Harry clearly was a driving factor and heroic actor in the entire series. He was also moody, arrogant, self-righteous, sometimes reckless and sometimes just plain foolish. But nobody was without flaws or virtues in the books or films. Even Bellatrix, Voldemort and Umbridge were hard-working and intelligent--which are virtues.

Sarah G
07-20-2011, 03:46 AM
Can't wait to see this. I am going today at about 11:00am. Looking forward to seeing Neville's part.

scarletpeaches
07-20-2011, 03:51 AM
Did anyone go to the 3D showing? I was wondering exactly how much of the movie is in 3D, and whether it seems worth it to spend the extra cash to see it at the IMAX or if it was another HBP 15 minutes worth?Just saw it in 3D myself. I didn't expect it to work, but it did. Especially when: SPOILER Voldemort disintegrated and bits started flying out of the screen. SPOILER

Aside from the actual 3D effects? My verdict is "Meh."

Crying? At this? Nah, not me. And I fuggin' hate the epilogue. I have no idea what Rowling was thinking there.
I think that Alan Rickman deserves an oscar for this.Really? For this when he's given far, far better performances? Really?

defcon6000
07-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Saw it today. Definitely one of the better films, though I still enjoy the artsy 3rd movie moreso. And I agree, the epilogue made me gag a little. Sooooo much cheese in it. And honestly, I don't need to see the next generation; I think it's a given that they all live happily together and have smex. ;)

Sarah G
07-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Can't wait to see this. I am going today at about 11:00am. Looking forward to seeing Neville's part.

Went to see it loved it apart from the end. I would have preferd it to be like the book.

Katrina S. Forest
07-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Where did it deviate from the events in the book? It followed it pretty faithfully, as I recall. (Even filming that awful epilogue...)

Satori1977
07-24-2011, 01:04 AM
So want to see this. The only thing stopping me is the fact that my husband is gone for a couple of months, and we saw part one together. I will most likely end up seeing anyway`.

Mr. Anonymous
07-24-2011, 07:48 AM
I feel a bit eh after seeing it. Spoiler warning.

==================================================
SPOILERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSS
==================================================

I felt like the movie didn't know what it wanted to be. On one hand, it seemed to be aiming for this dark, grim, bleak aesthetic. I mean, just take a look at the opening scene--Snape on the ledge, a gray Hogwarts beneath, and that haunting music in the background.

Those opening moments? Beautifully done. Unfortunately, a lot of other scenes in the film which were intended to be dark/grim/haunting seemed to be trying too hard. Like the dialogue between what's his name and Fleur.

The order uses this as a hide-out. What's left of us anyway.

and everyone looking so somber and grim.

Beat me over the head with it, why don't you?

And then we have that scene with Aberforth. It just felt so forced to me. Like, okay, [insert dramatic scene with dramatic dialogue here]. Aberforth hardly even knows who Harry is (aside from being the boy who lived, that is) and now all of a sudden he's acting like he's known Harry for years.

Then there are moments that just feel flat out unrealistic.

Why would the students of Hogwarts sacrifice themselves for Harry? I don't remember how Rowling handles it, but in the movie, I couldn't help thinking, really? it's that easy? And McGonagal (sp?) has no problems sending first years into battle against death eaters?

Why did Snape's two henchmen simply stand there when McGonogal came at him?

Why did Snape not try to attack Voldemort and/or escape when it became clear Voldemort meant to murder him?

Why did Neville choose the ridiculous rambo route to blowing up the bridge when he could have just blown it up far in advance of the shield going down. Yeah, it would've been less "epic." But it also would have made a hell of a lot more sense.

And finally, there are moments where the movie tries to be funny and ends up going against the very dark/grim/haunting character which it's trying so hard to pursue.

Harry's dialogue with Seamus. "What is it?" "We don't know." "Where is it?" "We don't know." Really? You had a vision that it has something to do with The Gray Lady, remember? That's what led you back to Hogwarts, remember? Wouldn't you bring that up, Harry? Huh?

McGonagal turning schoolgirl and saying "Ooo, I've always wanted to use that spell!" Really? Really?

Then we have Neville, who survives his rambo routine on the bridge by clinging to the edge. And if that's not cliche enough, the second he pulls himself up he gives us the obligatory one-liner. "Well, that went well."

You also have characters coming out of nowhere. Pre-battle, Molly Weasley is walking side by side with McGonagal for god knows what reason, even though the only line she has in the entire movie is "Not my daughter you bitch." Turns out that Hagrid has been captured by Voldemort and being held at the forbidden forest, yet Voldemort makes no mention of that fact during his little public service announcement. Why then is he holding Hagrid hostage, if not to lure Harry in?

And of course, the final show-down between Harry and Voldemort. Well, it's an improvement over the book in the sense that we actually get a real fight (even though realistically, Harry couldn't even hold a candle to Snape, much less Voldy.) But it's a rather brief fight. And what the hell is up with Voldemort slapping Harry around? What is this, the UFC?

All that said, I don't think the movie was bad. But nothing special. I don't think it really knew what it wanted to be.

TCnKC
07-24-2011, 08:11 AM
I know Harry will always be the hero, but to me he's the least heroic of the characters in the book. He's just an ordinary kid who was shoved into a situation he didn't ask for. I love the fact that in the end it was Neville who killed Voldemort. I find it awesome and ironic that such a great wizard feared the wrong boy all along!!! It feels incredibly Greek to me!!!

I think Neville is a fun underdog to root for. He's picked on constantly through out his childhood by his peers, etc.. Even his 'friends' laughed at him(in a less horrific way perhaps, but it probably still hurt,) His mother/father were tortured to death. It's easy to see why people want to root for him.

However, I don't understand at all how anyone can say Harry wasn't that heroic(or one of the least heroic in the series.) Maybe he's not your favorite(and that's fine) but Harry was VERY Heroic. Put yourself in his shoes. All the things that Harry went through from the first book up to the last.

:
1) Your mother/father were murdered.

2) You live with an aunt/uncle who love you so much that you live in a cupboard under the stairs.

3) You come face to face with the man(Voldemort) who murdered your parents(just after watching a fellow student be killed) and you're as helpless against him as you were when you were a baby. So you step out from behind a tombstone, prepared to meet your fate.

4) Everyone thinks you're so awesome, etc... then turn on you when you tell them that Voldemort is back. You're bashed in the papers. Made fun of by your peers, constantly called a liar(and worse), etc..

5) Your God father(who you grow to love like a father) is not only on the run for a crime that he didn't commit but he's killed in front of you.

6) Dumbledore, another father figure, is murdered in front you... by a teacher that CONSTANTLY BERATED you for your father's "sins."

7) You give up your life(school) to hunt down mysterious objects that might be the key to destroying one of the worst wizards of all time because no one else can do it.

8) Another friend(Dobby) is killed in helping to save your life.

9) You're constantly hunted by Voldemort(the most powerful person in the entire world.)

10) You're told(through Snape's memories) that in order to defeat Voldemort and save the world from him you have to die. Not only die but LET Voldemort kill you. The same person who killed your parents.

Again, it's okay that Harry isn't a person's favorite character(even the least favorite:D) but let's not pretend that he isn't heroic. Very few people could go through a fraction of that stuff and do the things that Harry does. Confronting fears, reaching inside yourself and doing what's right. That was Harry.

Mr. Anonymous
07-24-2011, 08:26 AM
^ I think the issue with Harry isn't that he's not heroic, so much as he's not all that interesting. Voldemort is an interesting (albeit rather one-dimensional) character. Dumbledore is an interesting character. Snape is perhaps THE most interesting character in the series. Harry? He's just a regular kid, more or less, put in an extra-ordinary circumstance/set of circumstances.

katiemac
07-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Why did Neville choose the ridiculous rambo route to blowing up the bridge when he could have just blown it up far in advance of the shield going down. Yeah, it would've been less "epic." But it also would have made a hell of a lot more sense.Blow it up while Death Eaters are on it and ultimately you have less Death Eaters to fight one on one. Not that the bridge should have mattered much, since a lot of them can apparate. There's a rule about that in the books, but the film didn't seem to follow.

Bartholomew
07-24-2011, 12:14 PM
^ I think the issue with Harry isn't that he's not heroic, so much as he's not all that interesting. Voldemort is an interesting (albeit rather one-dimensional) character. Dumbledore is an interesting character. Snape is perhaps THE most interesting character in the series. Harry? He's just a regular kid, more or less, put in an extra-ordinary circumstance/set of circumstances.

How else were the readers and viewers supposed to inject themselves into a character? :p

defcon6000
07-24-2011, 12:35 PM
^ I think the issue with Harry isn't that he's not heroic, so much as he's not all that interesting. Voldemort is an interesting (albeit rather one-dimensional) character. Dumbledore is an interesting character. Snape is perhaps THE most interesting character in the series. Harry? He's just a regular kid, more or less, put in an extra-ordinary circumstance/set of circumstances.Yeah, considering all the crap Harry went through, you'd think he'd be a bit more conflicted.

How else were the readers and viewers supposed to inject themselves into a character? :p
That sounds messy.

DavidZahir
07-25-2011, 01:52 AM
^ I think the issue with Harry isn't that he's not heroic, so much as he's not all that interesting. Voldemort is an interesting (albeit rather one-dimensional) character. Dumbledore is an interesting character. Snape is perhaps THE most interesting character in the series. Harry? He's just a regular kid, more or less, put in an extra-ordinary circumstance/set of circumstances. (Emphasis added)
I don't understand this last sentence. Honestly, it makes no sense to me at all. But then, while I don't regard heroism being as rare as some seem to presume, neither do I call it "regular." Frankly, my own impression is that some folks seem to demand that interesting characters must be overtly "quirky" in some not-very-specified way.

Harry seems to me a quite vivid character. When we meet him, he's not unlike an eleven-year-old male Jane Eyre, the orphan trapped in an unwelcoming, even abusive (albeit not terribly) home who's remained an essentially good kid. Even then he is sharp, has a temper he keeps under control (or works at it, anyway), is not at all self-pitying and refreshingly lacks much vanity. A somewhat atypical but mostly-attractive set of personality traits that feels true. He proceeds from there. At heart he's bright and talented, but not interested in academic subjects for their own sake. More a doer than a thinker or dreamer, which also shows in his choice of career and in his love of Quidditch. One formulaic part of all seven books (and very many more besides, for perfectly good reasons) is that Harry (and others) are pushed into a situation where they have to make a character-revealing choice. Such choices become something else as well--they become a habit, just as in real life.

I don't see why (for example) a stutter or being a show-off or believing in nargles would somehow make Harry Potter a better, more interesting character. He seems interesting and well-rounded with plenty of facets to me. Frankly, I've read plenty of folks going on and on about all his flaws, decrying the series for having as its hero such unethical, reckless, lying little egomaniac. That makes just as much sense to me as calling him "just a regular kid."

Cranky
07-25-2011, 02:08 AM
Poor Harry. Can't get no respect, can he? :D

I *like* Harry. What's more, I even liked CAPSLOCK Harry. Or, more to the point, I sympathized with him. I think he was interesting and doing interesting things, even when he was acting like a little git to his friends. *shrug*

Will finally go to see this on Wednesday and I'm really looking forward to it.

Darren Frey
07-25-2011, 03:02 AM
Blow it up while Death Eaters are on it and ultimately you have less Death Eaters to fight one on one. Not that the bridge should have mattered much, since a lot of them can apparate. There's a rule about that in the books, but the film didn't seem to follow.

speaking of apparating how come it was never used until HBP? Also, movie wise, when did the kids even learn how to apparate?

mscelina
07-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Thank God they didn't insert the apparition lessons into the movie. The film would have been six hours long. And apparation can only be done by kids who are of age. Harry isn't of age until his birthday party at the beginning of HPATDH. That's why they have to come get him on brooms, thestrals and Sirius' flying motorcycle--that and the trace.

Mr. Anonymous--

Aberforth Dumbledore has known Harry Potter for years. He's the barman at the pub where they have the meeting to set up Dumbledore's army. Also, he's been keeping an eye on Harry almost literally in the mirror, of which Harry has a fragment. The eye Harry thinks is Dumbledore is Aberforth, and that's why Dobby shows up to rescue them from the Malfoys' mansion.

Look--I went to see the movie, and while there were slight deviations in the story I thought they handled the material very well and with a care for Rowling's work. The three kids have grown up to be good little actors, and the supporting cast is the best collection of UK actors imaginable. The only thing that might make it better is for Lawrence Olivier to come back from the dead.

If someone goes to the movie looking for flaws, they're going to find them. But, if someone goes to the movie to experience the last hurrah of Harry Potter's world, they'll come away satisfied. Aside from the inevitable Hollywood treatment the battle of Hogwarts was given, including the dragon ride through Gringotts that has Disney ride written all over it, the producers remained faithful to JK Rowling's material.

And why not? SHE was one of the producers. That means that the script at some point went through her. If JK didn't object to the tweaks, I'm certainly not going to.

Mr. Anonymous
07-25-2011, 04:37 AM
kaitie - I understood *why* he did it. But if you look at it realistically, the odds of successfully pulling that stunt off are so small that it would be much safer to blow up the bridge ahead of time, though as you mentioned, the wizards can still aparate (sp?) so why are we doing this in the first place? lol. I just felt Neville's rambo/han solo thing felt very out of place in a movie going for the dark, gritty, realistic feel.

Barthomlomew - You've hit on a big part of why the series is so popular, I think. Harry's a sort of everyman kind of character that almost anyone can project themselves onto.

David - lol. Harry is unique. But he's also just a regular kid, to my mind. Every human being on this earth is unique in their own way. However, despite this uniqueness, some people stand out as more unique/more individual. If Voldemort had gone after Neville instead (and harry's parents just died in a car accident after all), then it's likely Harry wouldn't have gone on to do a tenth of the things he did in the books. He'd probably have been just another kid at Hogwarts.

What makes Harry particularly unique is not his character (IMO) so much as the circumstances he is placed in, and I think one of the reasons for the series' immense popularity is that (especially with the earlier books) it gives readers a sympathetic character that they can see themselves in who acts in the way they would like to imagine they'd act under extreme circumstances.

mscelina -

Aberforth Dumbledore has known Harry Potter for years. He's the barman at the pub where they have the meeting to set up Dumbledore's army. Also, he's been keeping an eye on Harry almost literally in the mirror, of which Harry has a fragment. The eye Harry thinks is Dumbledore is Aberforth, and that's why Dobby shows up to rescue them from the Malfoys' mansion.

I realize that. However, Aberforth's direct interaction with Harry was minimal in the books, and as far as the movies go, I'm not sure they ever had any on screen interaction before Part 2.

I didn't come to the movie looking for flaws. I just thought, given how overwhelming positive the reviews were (96% on rotten tomatoes) that I would find it a stronger movie.

I am glad so many others were not similarly disappointed, and I freely admit that while I've seen all the films, I've never been a huge fan. So maybe that's also a part of it.

Netz
07-26-2011, 02:02 AM
Tomorrow is one of my best friend's birthday. I'm taking her to the show. And I'm bringing my wand. So there.

And for the record the best parody so far is this one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvgVMecNp0c)

<Sings> Deathly Hallows, gotta destroy a horcrux...

:Thumbs: Fab!

Linds
07-26-2011, 03:07 AM
I thought it was a good movie, but not a great movie. But I was happy enough with it, though the Voldemort/Draco hug was just this side of awkward.

I will say the special effects finally came much closer to what I always imagined in my head when it came to the magic. The fiendfyre was really cool to see.

On a technical note, one thing I wished they'd done with the last two films was remove that light filter they used to make everything so gloomy. I get that they did it to create "instant mood", but when you barely get light at a beach house, I find it a bit annoying. Personally, I would have found it a bit more interesting to have a less gloomy palate to contrast the situation they find themselves in, at least before Hogwarts.

On a side note: whenever I see the later movies, I am always struck by how much their fight really is isolated from the rest of the world. You "know" that in the books, but seeing events in London makes it a lot more apparent.

fredXgeorge
07-30-2011, 04:54 PM
To those asking why the Death Eaters didn't apparate, you can't apparate inside the grounds of Hogwarts.

I thought the film was good. Parts I wish had been done differently (namely Fred's death) but mostly I reckon we should just enjoy it for what it is, which is pretty damn awesome. I don't mind the epilogue. Yes, a little cheesy but I've grown up with these characters and needed to know that they were okay after everything.

katiemac
07-30-2011, 06:43 PM
To those asking why the Death Eaters didn't apparate, you can't apparate inside the grounds

In the books, yes. The didn't really establish this in the films, especially this last one where people apparate during the fight (including Harry/Voldemort).

cscarlet
07-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Over all, I thought the movie was well done. I loved (loved loved loved) the part in the Pensive. I thought that was executed perfectly.

The rest of the ending I did not like. Perhaps I'm just too much of a purist, but I don't see the purpose in changing things just for the sake of change.

The fact that they made Nevil a bumbling idiot instead of a hero for killing the snake seriously irked me, but that's nothing compared to how mad I was over the whole duel between Harry and Voldemort. I really wanted them to circle each other in a final stand off in front of everyone else in the wizarding world. I wanted there to be no questions in anyone's mind later as to what happened. I understand flying around is more dramatic, but they took out some outstanding dialogue.
"You wouldn't dare"
"YES I DARE."
It doesn't get any better than that. So instead, the dialogue added felt cheesy and forced. Not heroic.

I think they could have made just as dramatic of an ending while staying true to the book.

But maybe that's just me. :)

Sarah G
08-01-2011, 01:51 AM
Went to see it loved it apart from the end. I would have preferd it to be like the book.

Where did it deviate from the events in the book? It followed it pretty faithfully, as I recall. (Even filming that awful epilogue...)

The post below is what i would have wanted to see as well and would have preferd it to stay like the book. In the duel.

Over all, I thought the movie was well done. I loved (loved loved loved) the part in the Pensive. I thought that was executed perfectly.

The rest of the ending I did not like. Perhaps I'm just too much of a purist, but I don't see the purpose in changing things just for the sake of change.

The fact that they made Nevil a bumbling idiot instead of a hero for killing the snake seriously irked me, but that's nothing compared to how mad I was over the whole duel between Harry and Voldemort. I really wanted them to circle each other in a final stand off in front of everyone else in the wizarding world. I wanted there to be no questions in anyone's mind later as to what happened. I understand flying around is more dramatic, but they took out some outstanding dialogue.
"You wouldn't dare"
"YES I DARE."
It doesn't get any better than that. So instead, the dialogue added felt cheesy and forced. Not heroic.

I think they could have made just as dramatic of an ending while staying true to the book.

But maybe that's just me. :)