July 2011 Flash Fiction Challenge!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the July Flash Fortnight!

The July Flash Fortnight will run from Friday 15th July (Day 1) to Thursday July 28th (Day 14). Each morning during the challenge, I'll update this post with a new prompt for the day, so please check back if you find them useful! All of the challenge prompts will remain permanently available to you, so if you'd like to use any of them outside of the Fortnight, please feel free to do so.

Prompts

Day 14 : A great compliment from an unexpected source.
Day 13 : Something strange in the world inside the mirror.
Day 12 : "Three's a crowd" on a diving holiday.
Day 11 : Alone in a rural setting, with fields around you for as far as you can see.
Day 10 : Being asked by a fugitive for sanctuary.
Day 9 : Hearing a voice from your distant past, nearby in a crowd.
Day 8 : In the waiting room before a job interview.
Day 7 : One of these things is different from the others.
Day 6 : A fellow passenger on a subway/underground train in the middle of the night.
Day 5 : Communicating with an insect.
Day 4 : Rediscovering an eerie road on Halloween. (This is the specified theme for the ReadingWriters contest - prize $100.)
Day 3 : Standing up for a controversial work of art.
Day 2 : Discovering an old photograph.
Day 1 : Down a shaded lane on a summer evening.

Tips on using the prompts

Think of the prompt as a starting point. When you look at it, certain words, phrases or ideas might immediately come to your mind. Try writing these down. For each of these things, consider what words, phrases or ideas that they, in turn, inspire.

Keep going in this way. You could free associate on the thoughts you're getting, or ask yourself questions on each thing: What is it about this that I'm drawn to? What would happen if I followed this train of thought to its logical conclusion?

Try not to censor yourself or second-guess your imagination. In the end, the idea you end up with might be completely unrelated to the prompt - and that's completely fine!

Good luck!

Optional: Signature art!

1.jpg
7.jpg
13.jpg

Here are some images that you are welcome to use in your post signatures, if you wish, to mark your achievements in each challenge. They indicate the total number of days during the Flash Fortnight on which you've completed a story draft. There are 14 images available, one for each day.

You can update your signature with a single new image each day, or put one image up at the end of the challenge; however you prefer.

The images are currently hosted on Photobucket. To add them to your signature:

Go to your User CP (the left-most link in the blue menu bar that is near the top of every page);
Click on the Edit Signature link from the list on the left of the page;
Paste the URL into the signature box, preceded by
;
Click on Save Signature.

The URLs of the images are all in this form:

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad65/elarasophia/AW Flash Fiction Forum/1.jpg

Right-click on the link and copy it, and then edit the 1.jpg at the end to the number you would like (e.g. 10.jpg) after you paste the URL into your signature box.

But there's more!

You can also choose a signature picture from this second set of images, which was very kindly created by Williebee:

W1.png
W8.png
W14.png

Again, there are images available for each day of the challenge. The URLs for these are all in this form:

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad65/elarasophia/AW Flash Fiction Forum/W1.png

Right-click on the link and copy it, and then edit the W1.png at the end to the number you would like (e.g. W14.png) after you paste the URL into your signature bo

Last edited:

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to give it a try again. I did write one story from a prompt last month, but it turned out to be a bit too long to be considered a flash!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, clintl! And congrats on getting that one story last month! There is a market listings sticky in the Short Fiction forum, which might suggest a good home for it. :)

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yay! Glad to hear it, Sam. :)

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I have stories written for the first two prompts. Good prompt for today!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
:Clap: Great going, clintl!

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm up to five stories, but I can't do the insect prompt because I hate bugs!

I like the day 6 prompt though! :D

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Five stories, woo hoo! :snoopy:

You can always swap out any of the words in a prompt (or ignore it completely) if it doesn't work for you. Grab a dictionary, plonk your finger down at random, and use whatever you get!

Hitting something with a shoe could be a method of communication... :evil

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Sophia I just wanted to thank you for doing this.
I discovered the June FF late but one of the prompts inspired a story I thought worthy enough to send to TNY.

And the prompts so far for this month--right up my alley.
I can certainly see myself using them, even if outside of the fortnight!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much, that's very kind of you to say. :)

Very best of luck with your New Yorker submission!

JenniferB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingcocoon.blogspot.com
Thanks, Sophia.

I'm finally joining in with the prompts. I've written one story and I'm starting with Day 10's prompt right now. This is my first experimentation with flash fiction - so thanks for the thread. Going to try to keep up with the challenge from now on.

1000 words - it really makes you think!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, JenniferB! :hi: Best of luck with the challenge!

JenniferB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingcocoon.blogspot.com
Four complete flash fiction stories done! Two half-finished stories (still struggling, these are my first ff's). I'm pleased. I'm going to try to finish the ones I've started and go through a few more of July's prompts before I go back through them all in search of a possible gem to polish.

Yay! I look forward to August's challenge.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
That's absolutely fantastic, JenniferB! I'm really pleased it was so productive for you. Great work!

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
So I finally finished a solid draft of the Day 4 prompt story (which I'd lost the inspiration for once the contest folded) and it has come in @ 2650 words!
Oh flash, how you elude me...