PDA

View Full Version : On Changing A Story

V. Greene
07-14-2011, 10:51 PM
After it's published, that is. I have a work coming out of contract soon and am wondering what to do with it. At present, it is an erotic work in a fantasy setting, and I published it under a pen name to partition it from other things I'd written that it didn't fit with.

Now, though, I'm finding that I'd really like to rewrite it as a more mainstream fantasy where the heros are gay men, rather than erotica which happens to take place in a fantastic setting. Quite a few publishers claim to want such a thing, and I like the idea of writing a pair of gay guys who carry broadswords and daggers.

And at last to the question: should I change their names and drastically rewrite the story, or can I just crop out the smuttiest bits and fill in other places to my heart's content? Now that it's back to being totally my story? And should I keep it under the same pen name, or move it to the identity where readers expect fantasy with a little sex instead of the other way around? Am I going to run into copyright problems with myself?

Anaquana
07-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Somebody else will have to chime in with the answers to your questions. I just wanted to comment and say I would love to read that story. :D Gay men with swords and daggers. *swoons*

Soccer Mom
07-14-2011, 11:54 PM
I would take it and completely rewrite it with new names and stuff. I wouldn't use the old erotic pen name unless you want this associated with that. I would be upfront to any potential publishers that this novel was "inspired by" a previous novel published as "erotica pen name" and novel name.

gothicangel
07-15-2011, 01:31 AM
:D Gay men with swords and daggers. *swoons*

How Freudian. ;)

V. Greene
07-15-2011, 11:32 PM
I would take it and completely rewrite it with new names and stuff. I wouldn't use the old erotic pen name unless you want this associated with that. I would be upfront to any potential publishers that this novel was "inspired by" a previous novel published as "erotica pen name" and novel name.

Thanks! Now for the hard part -- persuading the boys to change their names. They can be rather uncooperative about things like that.