Spain /Spanish Question

Lehcarjt

Been here, Done this.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.racheltaylorwrites.com
Years ago I lived for a while in the Canary Islands, Spain. Every day an old man would walk the streets of the small town selling his services as a knife sharpner. He'd yell up a the buildings to catch the women's attention. I want to know the world he would yell. In my mind it translates to 'sharpening' - 'alfilando?.' My Spanish is rusty though and this just doesn't ring right. Although part of that could the the Canarian accent and his age. I imagine more of a 'alfilaaaaaah' (sort of). Either way, I want it in written form so I need it to be correct.

Many thanks in advance.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Okay - this got me curious.

As it happens, my abuelito is from Spain, a little village just North of the Portuguese border, and yes - he was a 'grinder' - or knife sharpener. Kept his trade when he came to America - and made a good living keeping knives and scissors sharpened. He passed in the 70's so I sent a note to my Dad via my sis. To see if he remembered anything. (He's in his eighties... memory slipping.)

His reply - "chavatero" - Which may or may not be the word you heard. More importantly, he had a kind of wooden whistle, like a Pan Pipe that he would play. This whistle is a prized family possession. While doing some research on it, sis came across this link.

http://www.cubatours.info/2011/05/scissors-grinders.html?spref=fb

Which tells a bit more. Again - this is Cuba as opposed to Spain - but I know that my grandfather came to the states VIA Cuba - so it's plausible there is a similarity in the customs.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about the Spain slang, but the word for sharpening is "afilando" and the... guy who does the sharpening is an "afilador" (plural: afiladores). The street afiladores here in Mexico don't yell, they just blow a very sharp whistle.

KLynx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kajitochishio.tumblr.com
I'm in the D.F. and some do yell, along with all the other bicycle vendors. Most of them are food vendors though- camotes, tamales, pan. etc. I'll ask my husband when he wakes up, his family is from Spain and maybe he remembers from visiting whether it was different.

Lehcarjt

Been here, Done this.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.racheltaylorwrites.com
Ohhh!!!! You guys are awesome. I completely forgot about the whistle. The moment you mentioned it though, I could just hear it. Thanks so very, very much!