Tell me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs.Firefly

Registered
Reaction score
Show and Tell!

i thought since there's so many of you and you all write in so many different genres, it would be nice to have everyone tell what type of writing they do. it'll give myself and others a chance to get to know one another better. and it'll be interesting to learn what and why we write, when we [you] started writing, do you write for publication, ever been published, or for your own personal reasons.

who wants to go first?

- Mrs.Firefly

Last edited:

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Mrs.Firefly,

I write non-fiction. The reason I write is because I can't afford to pay others to do it all for me.

The writing I do is for the web. I tend to keep each article or abstract to as low a word count as possible while also trying to ensure that quality is not lost.

How about you?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
Hi Mrs Firefly - at last we have some light in this dark dull of the office party! Oh they can smoke in here! I like fire flies and I sell Muses shoes! And that's how I write my poetry. Here if you want to look at some excerpts.
http://users.skynet.be/spier/excerpts.htm

And here's my shoestore if you want to buy used ones.
http://users.skynet.be/spier/oeuvreshoestore.htm

I never write for publication. Do you write? Got some poems? Theres a nice poetry section here at http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14 Do post there too, ok?

aspierhttp://users.skynet.be/spier/

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I write mysteries (fiction). I started thinking of it seriously a couple of years ago, wrote two pieces of crap in a different genre, then realized mysteries are what I really want to be writing. I'm not published yet, but hopefully will be soon. I just sent a fresh copy of my ms to my agent after she pointed out a few errors(she was right about every one of them)

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
Unfortunately all I've been able to write recently are reports. Lots and lots of reports. That is the part of the job that you never see in the movies. We run on paperwork (in triplicate, of course).

That aside, when I actually do feel up to doing writing of a more creative nature, I write fiction of a historical slant. I am working on a novel about an interesting, but little known Confederate operation during the Civil War.

But as I said, I have not worked on it recently. Too much other crap to do.

Brady

Mrs.Firefly

Registered
Reaction score
44 views and 4 replies? come on, peeps! where's the 40 lurkers? get back here! the four replies are appreciated. thank you. :)

Mrs.Firefly

Registered
Reaction score
sorry, that's five replies. missed that one when i was posting.

Kida Adelyne

Me got zero cookies!
Registered
Reaction score
So far all I've writen is YA fantasy novels and short fiction, though I am branching out a bit. I don't specifically write for publication, but I may try the publishing scene when my writing is better.

-Ally

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
We had a thread like this. It grew very long. Anyone remember what forum it was in? Adding to the old one would make more sense than starting over.

Mostly, I write puzzles for magazines. I have more experience copy editing than writing.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I started out writing suspense short stories, got good enough to get a small number published in good magazines, and watched the market wither to almost nothing.

I turned to erotica, short stories again, got a small number published (for much less money), then finished a couple of novels which I've never submitted anywhere. I seem to lack the will, or maybe the nerve, to submit them because an erotica writer isn't really what I want to be.

So now I'm writing my second suspense novel (the first one died along with my hard drive, but so what? it was truly wretched), finding it substantially more complex than I'd anticipated. I've got the beginning written, the end fully thought out, and parts of the middle written but stuck in a great mucky mess.

Maryn, waiting for this to be fun again

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
mostly crap.

No, that's what I write! Cleverly disguised as romance or romantic suspense. Or maybe it's barely disguised...

I also write short stories, usually horror.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on my mood really-- I like writing mysteries (Detective stories) Then again I've tried so many things I can't seem to focus on one thing.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I've got one fantasy novel written, working on a second, and I write horror and fantasy short stories. My piece in SOS was a non-fiction essay.

I do write for publication (some day), but started out because I love doing it.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Horror. Was there any doubt?

But I also write poetry too. I'm working on getting my first novel published and submitting poems to magazines via email whenever possible.

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
Mrs.Firefly said:
sorry, that's five replies. missed that one when i was posting.

Mmm you're into numbers! I do that too. I read dictionaries and count the words of every poem posted over at the poetry dept. of WRITE. Then I take the first number - and when the sum is over 10 - I count these two numbers together. And if this number is an equal number I devide it by two ... and so on till I get the source of what the 'poem' or message is about. Symbols also play a role. This is also how I write. I don't really care about the words. (Smile - not really true) I try of course to use nice and surpricing words - I found them in dictionaries, novels or rapports etc.

Shall I count your post quote ubove? 'sorry, that's five replies. missed that one when i was posting' Mmm ok! Wordcount = 11. So that's a 2. A two is female. So you are a woman! Clever eh? Smile + no, I'm NOT fooling around! There's one problem with 'sorry, that's five replies. missed that one when i was posting' See there is a ' . ' in it! Why? A point. That's 2 words = a + point. So I might be wrong that you are female. Yes? Because your count still comes to 2. See 11 + 2 = 13 = 1 + 4 = 5. Now your source is 5 which is a number symbol for the split between boy and girl. Tomboy? You are young! Should we take the point not as 2 words but just as one? Then you get a 3 which is also a kind of toss-and-turn between femininity and masculinity. Archytipically of course. Actually we have now 2 arguments to one that says 'tomboy'. Tomboy = tease? Yes, young and on the brink of something! Female? Ahh non! There's a comma too! So start all over again. That's 11 + 3 = 14 = 1 + 4 = 5. Oef! Confirmed! Tomboy! Young! Tease! Got something up the sleeve! Out on adventure? Want to discover something new? What? Ok, lets analyse the use of encryption in 'sorry, that's five replies. missed that one when i was posting' to see what the message is. The word 'missed' is encrypted. Its in the middle and all other words carry pointer fucntion. What do you miss?

I know! You missed real communication from all these buffs who have replied to your post! You wanted to know something vital about the art of writing and none of us has read that in your original post! You wanted this = 'it'll give myself and others a chance to get to know one another better.' And what did you get? You wanted to know 'and it'll be interesting to learn what and why we write'. You didn't get that, did you? You got 'about' stuff. We all told you about our work but not about that 'fragile connection' between the us and the why. That 'new' you were seeking. You were asking towards the core of writing. And none of even 'heard' that! You don't want 'numbers' of posts, more and more and 'abouts' etc.

Anyway ... numbers, yes. Do writers know that 'why'? I think yes, but it is so deep and secret for everyone, nobody CAN really talk about it. And most of the writers, after they have written something beautiful, are so surprised that it came from their hands. A kind of 'My god, did I write that!' thing. You had experiences like that? I had? But most writers have found a way, a kind of ritual so to speak, to talk about this. It is done over at the poetry section. There they post a poem and everybody reads it and tries to talk objectively about rythm and rhyme and word choice and meaning etc. But it really is a sharing of this 'secret fragile' thing in literature. They convey energy and stuff and that gives the author his affirmation. IN your original post YOU SAID 'when we [you] started writing,' It is beautiful the way you put it! You even put the you in brackets. That would also be a beautiful verse for a poem!

Everybody why don't we tell Mrs Firefly this? The 'when we [you] started writing' . How it happened and what it is to write! Not the 'about stuff' of our writing.

My, my, this number thing draws one onto strange routes! I told you, Mrs Firefly, its the light we need!

aspier

Last edited:

Mrs.Firefly

Registered
Reaction score
Shall I count your post quote ubove? 'sorry, that's five replies. missed that one when i was posting' Mmm ok! Wordcount = 11. So that's a 2. A two is female. So you are a woman! Clever eh? Smile + no, I'm NOT fooling around! There's one problem with 'sorry, that's five replies. missed that one when i was posting' See there is a ' . ' in it! Why? A point. That's 2 words = a + point. So I might be wrong that you are female. Yes? Because your count still comes to 2. See 11 + 2 = 13 = 1 + 4 = 5. Now your source is 5 which is a number symbol for the split between boy and girl. Tomboy? You are young! Should we take the point not as 2 words but just as one? Then you get a 3 which is also a kind of toss-and-turn between femininity and masculinity. Archytipically of course. Actually we have now 2 arguments to one that says 'tomboy'. Tomboy = tease? Yes, young and on the brink of something! Female? Ahh non! There's a comma too! So start all over again. That's 11 + 3 = 14 = 1 + 4 = 5. Oef! Confirmed! Tomboy! Young! Tease! Got something up the sleeve! Out on adventure? Want to discover something new? What? Ok, lets analyse the use of encryption in 'sorry, that's five replies. missed that one when i was posting' to see what the message is. The word 'missed' is encrypted. Its in the middle and all other words carry pointer fucntion. What do you miss?

wow, just by the number of words i wrote in my post, you've come to the conclusion that i'm a tomboy and also a tease? and possibly not even female. brilliant!

wtf? :crazy:

i'm sorry, but i'm completely confused by your post. what did i miss, you ask? obviously a lot. lol but you're right on one thing, this number analogy thing you have going is very strange.

Last edited:

Honey Nut Loop

Registered
Reaction score
MG and YA. Unpublished so far. Have been writing novels since i was 14 and writing full-stop since forever.

I have an MS with an agent at the mo.

Apologies for any typos but i'm typing in woolly gloves.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I've written (and had published) three regional history books: two on Cincinnati transportation and the third is on entertainment history in Cincinnati. The third comes out December 12. Perfect gift for Christmas, or anytime of the year! Click on the link in the sig line for more information.

I've also had articles for radio trade magazines published.

Plus I'm currently writing a children's book set at the end of World War II.

I write because it's one of the things I like to do that I'm pretty good at doing, and can make money from it. However, money isn't the only reason I write. I also write to entertain and to educate, although I'm not an educator, just a guy who likes to write. For my first book I happened to choose a subject that has intrigued a great deal of people in the area and abroad. I've also found that I write nonfiction history more easily than fiction. Fiction's a challenge for me, but I'm working through it. Please see my post in the Share Your Work forum under Children's for a sample.

allen

Status
Not open for further replies.