PDA

View Full Version : What to say in a nudge email?

Becca C.
07-14-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm probably definitely overthinking this, but I just can't seem to scrape two thoughts together on what to write in a nudge email. Some help?

PinkAmy
07-14-2011, 03:08 PM
NOT- Why the @%#$^ haven't you gotten back to me ;) .
Something like this:
Dear Agent,

On ___ date, I resubmitted TITLE based on the suggestions you made for revision. I realize summer is a busy time, but since you previously responded within ___ weeks, I want to be sure you received my manuscript.

The_Ink_Goddess
07-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Also, I have zero experience with this, buuuuut I have previously lied about having e-mail problems and "wanting to check to make sure it reached you" in similarish situations. I don't know if that's acceptable.

PinkAmy
07-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Also, I have zero experience with this, buuuuut I have previously lied about having e-mail problems and "wanting to check to make sure it reached you" in similarish situations. I don't know if that's acceptable.

Noooooo. Never lie. Why start your relationship with a potential agent out with a lie. It's unprofessional. You wouldn't want the agent to lie to you. If she doesn't have it, it probably accidentally went into her junk mail or she accidentally deleted it and she knows this.

Becca C.
07-15-2011, 03:08 AM
I know she got it, she originally sent me a "thanks for sending, can't wait to read!" receipt email. Thanks guys, I know I'm definitely overthinking this XD

idempotent1729
07-15-2011, 07:28 AM
I know she got it, she originally sent me a "thanks for sending, can't wait to read!" receipt email. Thanks guys, I know I'm definitely overthinking this XD

Sounds as though you're in a similar boat to the one I'm in! I'm thinking about something along the lines of

"Dear [name],

I just wanted to write and touch base about the status of my manuscript [title], which I sent you on [date]. For reference, I'm appending our original correspondence beginning with my query below. I hope you are having a wonderful summer.

Best wishes,
[person]"

(or I guess with some straightforward modifications this could be made more appropriate for checking the status of a revise-and-resubmit).

Muahahahaha, now I can serve the dual purpose of asking what people think about my proposed message! Hope this helps both of us! :-)

RainbowDragon
07-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Be breezy, be kind and be personable.

Wait at least 3 months (or longest stated response time + 1-2 weeks if shorter than 3 months) on a partial, maybe longer on a full.

RainbowDragon
07-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Muahahahaha, now I can serve the dual purpose of asking what people think about my proposed message! Hope this helps both of us! :-)

Looks good to me!

annabelle07
07-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Sounds as though you're in a similar boat to the one I'm in! I'm thinking about something along the lines of

"Dear [name],

I just wanted to write and touch base about the status of my manuscript [title], which I sent you on [date]. For reference, I'm appending our original correspondence beginning with my query below. I hope you are having a wonderful summer.

Best wishes,
[person]"

(or I guess with some straightforward modifications this could be made more appropriate for checking the status of a revise-and-resubmit).

That's a really good template! Mind if I flick it from time to time ;)

Becca C.
07-15-2011, 01:30 PM
"Dear [name],

Best wishes,
[person]"

I wrote something very similar to this, a little more informal (we've talked on the phone and had quite a bit of email correspondence), congratulated her on a recent sale, too. Hit 'send'! Now for the wait.

idempotent1729
07-15-2011, 04:59 PM
I wrote something very similar to this, a little more informal (we've talked on the phone and had quite a bit of email correspondence), congratulated her on a recent sale, too. Hit 'send'! Now for the wait.

Great!! That sounds very promising that you've even talked on the phone etc. Best of luck - I hope you get a quick and favorable reply!

Becca C.
07-15-2011, 11:52 PM
She wrote back this morning saying that she read it a little while ago and has been thinking about it a lot, she "adores" the project and thinks the revision rocks, and she wants me to send her a couple of paragraphs about any other projects/ideas I'm pursuing. So I'm telling her about the manuscript I'm revising right now, and the one that might become my new WIP.

This is good, right?! :P

idempotent1729
07-16-2011, 12:56 AM
She wrote back this morning saying that she read it a little while ago and has been thinking about it a lot, she "adores" the project and thinks the revision rocks, and she wants me to send her a couple of paragraphs about any other projects/ideas I'm pursuing. So I'm telling her about the manuscript I'm revising right now, and the one that might become my new WIP.

This is good, right?! :P

OMG! Congrats!! That's fantastic!!!

idempotent1729
07-16-2011, 12:57 AM
That's a really good template! Mind if I flick it from time to time ;)

Go right ahead - I'd be honored! :-)

idempotent1729
07-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Looks good to me!

Cool, thanks! Maybe I will give it a little extra time for good measure and then try it out!

WriteBrained
07-20-2011, 02:42 AM
Would anyone mind posting examples of "real world" nudges they've sent? Either successful or unsuccessful would be great!

Becca C.
07-20-2011, 03:12 AM
Mine was this:

Hi [agent's name],

So it's been almost 5 months since I sent you the revised manuscript of [title]. I know you've been really busy lately (congratulations on the recent sale of [title of book agent recently sold], by the way), but I'm just wondering if you've gotten the chance to look at it yet.

I hope you're having an excellent summer so far!

[my name]

It worked, in that she replied to it and told me she'd already read the manuscript and loved it. And then she asked me what else I'm working on. But I think you should make nudges more formal than this one. This one is a little informal because we've had quite a bit of email correspondence.

WriteBrained
07-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks, Becca! Any others?

Zelenka
07-21-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm not even sure whether to nudge, but these examples are really helpful. I don't even know if the agent got the full they requested though, haven't heard anything since I sent it. I might wait a few more weeks but it worries me it's gone into spam or just not turned up at all.

WriteBrained
07-21-2011, 10:03 PM
I don't even know if the agent got the full they requested though, haven't heard anything since I sent it.

I've had the same experience since I started this process recently, Zelenka. I wouldn't worry about that too much, though, as it seems from what I've read that it's pretty rare that an agent sends confirmation for receiving a submission (Others, please correct me if I'm wrong with this).