Proper way to 'hail a cab' in 1880s San Fran

Lehcarjt

Been here, Done this.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.racheltaylorwrites.com
Setting is 1880's San Fran - at the largest hotel in town (The Palace - in case you were wondering). One character needs another character to find hired transportation for the group. I *think* the vehicle would be a cabriolet (cab). First question, can I just call it a 'cab' or does that look too anachronistic?

I'm also wondering exactly how the cab would be hired. Are they waiting outside the hotel in a line? Would the hirer have to stand in the street waving them down? Something else?

Here's the line:

"Here's what we're going to do," Mr. Sharpe said in a calm voice. "Leo, go back through the hotel and out onto the street. Hail a cab, and have the driver go around back to Jessie Street. We will meet you there."

Many thanks for all comments.

Vaguely Piratical

Registered
Reaction score
If it's a nice hotel, I imagine they would have the concierge or the bell boy arrange the cab.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not certain about San Fran, but in London, there were stands throughout the city where cabs gathered. There was space for their carriages and horses and the cabbies could stretch their legs and relieve themselves. These stands tended to be around richer neighborhoods (Holmes & Watson having a constant supply of them comes to mind) as well as business areas, hotels or railroad stations.

Of course, there's always flagging down a cab as it passes by as well.