College Writers?

letters2you

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, hopefully it's okay to post this thread... but I was wondering who out there is a college student who has to deal with the pains of loving to write yet not having enough time to write during the school year? How do you balance school work and writing? Sometimes for me I find it frustrating when I only have time for school work, yet I have the urge to work on a story or start a new poem...

Deleted member 42

I worked full time while I finished grad school.

I found getting up two hours before I needed to, and writing every morning worked.

alegory

Registered
Reaction score
I just tend to squeeze writing in wherever I can... Sometimes that means nothing for a week or so but I try and write very basic, rough drafts (or writing conversations as scripts) if I'm really pressed for time but want to get an idea down on paper... And my favourite time to write is at night so I find writing for a while before I go to bed, when I've finished my work, quite productive.

Medievalist has a point though- setting aside a specific time to write every now and again is helpful too. I don't know what you do at weekends but I sometimes find that I have more time on Fridays when I don't have to do work for the next day and so I try and make Friday evenings work-free, writing only...

September

my word processor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be a college freshman in the fall and I've been wondering how much writing I'll be able to do once classes start. Glad to see that some have been able to make it work! :)

Because.

told before & told again
Registered
Reaction score
*waves*

I'll also be a college freshman in the fall. Nice to see I have company too! :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm studying a few things, and my drive to write has pretty much completely gone. I think for me, what will work is writing when I have literally nothing else to do.

So I might be able to write 2 novels during summer break, and then spend the rest of the year focusing on my studies. Maybe.

We'll see how it goes. It's only winter break right now...

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I graduated in late 2009. (No plans to do the grad-school thing.) Ultimately, I spent seven years either being a student or taking a break from being a student (I was pretty sick for a year, for example. Oh, and I switched majors once, which delayed graduation a bit.)

While I was in school, I had a variety of writing-related things going. At community college, I was a communications major, so I worked on the student newspaper and a local paper.

I produced Web content for spending money most of the time I was in school.

I ended up finishing a minor in creative writing, which meant that I got to take one CW class more semesters than not.

So, the entire time I was in school, writing was built into my schedule. Different kinds of writing? Yeah, sure. But I got to keep writing throughout college, was paid something for it more often than not, and could apply what I'd learned from one thing to other types of writing.

SinisterCola

The Caffeine Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I graduated winter 2010. During the school week I'd be tied to my computer, writing code for projects, working on a paper due in a literature class, or learning about our wonderful Universe. Other than I worked 20 hours a week and had extracurricular to keep up with.

Weekends I wasn't as social as most college students, so I spent many weekends writing (and finishing up work!)

Of course, this all was thrown out the window during NaNoWriMo (lol). I still got good grades mind you, I was just wired to caffeine.

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
I think if you love to write, there's always time! I also think that as students, we have a lot more time than if we were in full-time jobs - in fact I know this, as I worked full time for two years before I decided to go to uni, and that was much harder in terms of finding the time and energy. I did it then anyway, because it's one of those things I can't do without.

Last winter I woke up at 5 most mornings and wrote for two or three hours before days of lectures and academic work began. And I write on the tube, in coffee shops when I'm waiting for friends, when I have a free evening...

I think it's all about your mindset. If you think of it as a chore you have to fit in, then it'll be hard. If you think of it as making time to do the thing that keeps you going, you won't have a problem :)

Emerson

Registered
Reaction score
I think if you love to write, there's always time! I also think that as students, we have a lot more time than if we were in full-time jobs - in fact I know this, as I worked full time for two years before I decided to go to uni, and that was much harder in terms of finding the time and energy. I did it then anyway, because it's one of those things I can't do without.

Last winter I woke up at 5 most mornings and wrote for two or three hours before days of lectures and academic work began. And I write on the tube, in coffee shops when I'm waiting for friends, when I have a free evening...

I think it's all about your mindset. If you think of it as a chore you have to fit in, then it'll be hard. If you think of it as making time to do the thing that keeps you going, you won't have a problem :)

Totally agree. As a current university student I see the attitude pretty commonly that full time school is all one has time for. Aside from a minority of programs, this really isn't true, especially in undergrad. Even 18 credits will leave you with a great deal of free time.

I did 3 years of undergrad in which I had all sorts of free time, though I also worked ~15 hours a week. Still plenty of time though. Now I'm in the graduate phase of my Physician Assistant program which is essentially as difficult as med school but doesn't last as long. Summer is easier, but come fall I'm in class 8-5 daily, and I also work 10 hours a week and still find time to write, though it's much harder than it was in undergrad.

But then I have classmates who insist they have literally no time for anything besides class and studying. So who knows. Really I do think that if you want to find time, you will easily be able to do so. 98% of college students find time to go out drinking, go to sports games, etc. Writing is just a different hobby.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I was stupid enough to sign up for a summer evening class. So, with working full time, then doing a condensed engineering calculus course in the evenings... no writing for me.

Not a chance in hell I'm taking a summer class next year though.

Working on shorts helps me. I can't write a novel over summer break, but I can do a short or two. That way I feel I've accomplished something.

letters2you

Registered
Reaction score
Sarah1981, I'm pursuing a Creative Writing minor as well! And I'm also into web design (it's what I'm going for at the moment! Along with English haha). I'm going to be a sophomore this upcoming semester and although I had time to write ever so occasionally while last year, I'm hoping it can be more... productive haha. Thanks for the lovely advice, everyone. I'm so excited to see that there's other college students on the forums as well! :)

Last edited: