British Agency Parties

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I have a modern British agency that deals with aliens. They regulate immigration, tourism and trade, they stop invasions---anything that has to do with extraterrestrials, they're involved. The general public doesn't know about the aliens, so they're a secret organization, like Men-in-Black or Torchwood. Technically they're a government agency, but they're given a lot of leeway and basically allowed to police themselves, again like Torchwood or MiB.

Now I need two separate scenes to take place at black-tie affairs. Posh parties, with champagne, live music, dancing, tuxedos, the whole nine yards. They're official functions, meaning all the staff of the alien-organization is encouraged to attend, but I'd like for there to be a lot of other people there, too. Government agents, politicians, maybe even the Prime Minister. And perhaps some alien ambassadors, if they're humanoid enough to pass inspection.

My question is, what sort of parties would these be? What excuse would they have for throwing such fancy shindigs? I know nothing about politics or these kind of organizations, so I have no idea what kinds of parties they throw. Could one of them be a fundraiser? Or would a government agency like this be funded exclusively by tax dollars? What other reasons would there be to hold a super-fancy party like this?

If it helps, not everyone present at the party needs to be aware of the aliens or the secret organization, but some must be. For example, when someone interrupts the scene with accusations of aliens amongst us, the guy in charge would deny everything, but plenty of folks there would be exchanging uneasy glances, because they realize word's leaked somehow.

I hope this makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Over here, the government doesn't throw fund-raising parties. The only reason I can think of is when an important politician from another country comes on a visit. Or maybe something to do with the Queen.

How about Mansion House dinner?

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Over here, the government doesn't throw fund-raising parties. The only reason I can think of is when an important politician from another country comes on a visit. Or maybe something to do with the Queen.

How about Mansion House dinner?

No fundraisers? Hmm, okay. I'm not sure the Mansion House dinner will work for my purposes. I need two separate events, at least a few weeks apart, and it needs to be "for" the secret organization, or at least something all their agents would all be invited to. I can't really imagine them being invited to this mayoral supper.

I could perhaps make one of the events the signing of a treaty with some new alien ambassador. But it would be stretching it to make both events the same. So I still need an explanation for at least one of the parties.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
An official government reception to welcome a visit by some dignitary who is maybe signing a new trade treaty or to celebrate the anniversary of some treaty or organisation.
It might be held here http://www.hrp.org.uk/banquetinghouse/

MisterFrancis

Registered
Reaction score
Politicians throw events all the time. The House of Commons Terrace has dinner and drinks events every day, as do the major political clubs like the Carlton and the National Liberal Club.

For example, an MP who sponsors an environmental campaign group might host events for it to bring campaigners across the country together.

Government departments also hold a lot of formal events, where they gather pillars of the community to thank them for their work and to meet them. So, say the Home Office will hold Eid events to get prominent Muslim community groups together. The DCLG will invite councillors from around the country to a dinner. Number 10 just held a champagne reception for prominent LGBT sportspeople.

So it would be easy to create a plausible pretext, where the real meaning is known only to the invitees but at which no-one would bat an eyelid.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Miranda: The public doesn't know they exist, but some members of the government have to be aware. Someone once explained to me what it was called, where you have a secret sub-organization that's government-run but independently operated, but I can't remember what the term for it is. It's a lot like Torchwood. They answer to the government, but they pretty much do their own thing.

MisterFrancis: I like the idea of a "thank you" party for the organization, where most people think it's just another meet and greet, but those in the know realize the true purpose of the event. They did just save the world a couple of times, so it could be sort of a "thanks for saving our butts" party, only they're not allowed to say that's what the party's for, because of all the uninitiated who are present. That might work. Thanks!

Waylander: It really couldn't be an "official" reception, because that would break the code of silence about who knows there's aliens. But I could do something that's unofficial.

Wiskel

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
High above the rooftops...swinging from web to web

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
The Queen's Birthday. Most UK embassies and off shots of embassies will hold a party to celebrate HM's Birthday. They might also - given that they are a sort of military force - have Mess Nights which are very formal affairs. Regimental silver on the table, amazing food and booze. They might also celebrate important events in their past - victories over nasties, major battles won against alarmingly overwhelming odds. The anniversary of their formation might also be cause for celebration.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting ideas, re: royalty. I'll definitely give that some thought, thanks!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Surely they must do something in commemoration of First Contact? Or, something basic like a New Year's Eve party? So have one regular large-scale traditional event, such as one of the above, and then a second one-off event, like a visiting ambassador, or ally or a thank-you party.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Surely they must do something in commemoration of First Contact? Or, something basic like a New Year's Eve party? So have one regular large-scale traditional event, such as one of the above, and then a second one-off event, like a visiting ambassador, or ally or a thank-you party.
There's an idea! A "secret first contact" anniversary. That could work. I hadn't figured out the details of first contact, since I didn't think it would come into play, but I could easily make something up. Thanks!

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, the British really don't need much excuse to hold a formal black-tie party. Especially Government departments and officials.

How about a party to hand out some honourary degrees to alien dignitaries?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Someone once explained to me what it was called, where you have a secret sub-organization that's government-run but independently operated, but I can't remember what the term for it is.

a QUANGO?

eh, I had no idea so much partying went on

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Just to note...

if it's seriously formal it's a white tie and tails, noted as formal on the invitation. Tuxedo is American.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
I'm not sure you need a pretext. We're allowed to have parties without a reason y'know. Just pick an appropriate character or figure (eg The Home Secretary) and have them host a party. The most natural way would be to pick somebody from the House of Lords because they'd probably have a country estate where the event could be held more discretely and where it wouldn't be an unusual thing for that to happen. People would be encouraged to attend because it's an important networking opportunity.

I don't know if a quango is the word you're looking for (as suggested by BuffySquirrel) but if you are under the impression it is, I rather suspect it isn't (from your description). I would never describe Torchwood as a quango.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
@ pdr: Is white tie and tails the British term for a tuxedo? Because from what I've seen on Doctor Who, the tenth Doctor always wore what looked like a regular tuxedo to various formal events. The eleventh Doctor wore something different, if I recall, but Ten's always looked like a standard tux. Anyway, the novel takes place in London, for the most part, but it's from an American's POV, so she'll be using terms she's familiar with. The local characters will use British terminology, of course, but she's only been in London for a few months.

@ Psychomacologist: Is that a common thing, giving out honorary degrees? I'd like to keep the alien aspect to a minimum, at least for one of the parties, because there will be people attending who aren't aware of the aliens' existence, but the other party could be something of the sort.

@ Theo: I need a reason for the party, because the MC is reluctant to attend and the other MC is trying to convince her that she really needs to be there. To do that, he's explaining what the party's for, and how her presence might be beneficial. I need at least a vague reason for the party, otherwise she'll flat refuse to attend and then my plot will go nowhere, LOL.

@ Theo & Buffy: Yes, that's it! QUANGO is the term that I was told described Torchwood and other agencies that were government-run but also independent. Of course, I have no idea how accurate it is, since I'm utterly clueless when it comes to politics and government agencies in my own country, much less anyone else's. It's a concept that I can sidestep if necessary in the novel, so it's not a big deal. But if you'd care to explain why you think it's not the right term, I'd be curious. Can't guarantee I'll understand . . . I have a mental block when it comes to politics, you see. Same as mathematics! All the same, I am curious about it.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
My question is, what sort of parties would these be?

They wouldn't be government dinners - they are frowned upon, especially with all the expenses scandals etc, so most likely it would be a private function. However, in general politicians, ministers etc are discouraged from attending private functions, especially those held by private companies. Occassionally one or two of them will attend a charity dinner/gala, but this is usually by invitation only and will very rarely have more than one senior offical there at once. State dinners occassionally, but they are usually reserved for the most senior members,state leaders etc.

What excuse would they have for throwing such fancy shindigs?

None. See point about expenses scandal and misappropriation of public funds, especially in a recession.

Could one of them be a fundraiser?

The government here does not organise fundraisers. As I said above, sometimes a minister (a minister is a head of a government department, for instance, the Finance Minister, or the Health Minister) or an MP (member of Parliment) or an MLA (member of the local assembly) or a local councellor will attend a dinner if they are involved with the charity, know the organisers, or it's a high profile thing, such as an AIDs dinner attended by sensior health officials etc.

Often invites are turned down before they even get as far as the person who was invited. I know from my own experience that we would frequently recieve invites, look at it, consider the options and 9 times out of 10 forward it on with a suggestion to decline. In all the times I've done that I've had the official change the response maybe twice.

Or would a government agency like this be funded exclusively by tax dollars?

Yes. Now, government agency is a strage notion because 'agencies' are usually non-departmental public bodies, which means that they are not part of a goverment department and so are not usually staffed by civil servants - like the Consumer Coucil, for example. They are allocated a set amount of funding each year.

Now, the issue with this is that all that money has to be accounted for in the Budget, which comes out once a year and is decided once a year.

Here's the things, people will know about it and with freedom of information anyone will be able to request where that money goes, who is getting paid, what thier salaries are etc. Also, MLA's and MP's are able to ask questions on behalf of their constituents to different Ministers. And if they are from opposing parties then it's likely that an MLA or an MP will use that opportunity to ask awkward questions. In all it would be very hard to keep quiet.

You're best bet it to have it linked in through immigration control,or the Boarders Agency which is all part of the Home Office. This way they could legitimately be part of goverment and able to operate without too many questions, and if anyone asks then they will at least be able to answer questions on immigration.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Quango is technically the right term. But it's become a derogatory term for the most part.

For the record - the term 'Quango' is an acronym and is not used in goverment. The official term is Non Departmental Public Body (NDPB) 'quango' is usually only used in the media.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
You're best bet it to have it linked in through immigration control,or the Boarders Agency which is all part of the Home Office. This way they could legitimately be part of goverment and able to operate without too many questions, and if anyone asks then they will at least be able to answer questions on immigration.
It's the London Extraterrestrial Home Office, or LEHO for short, so I think we're on the right track. Thanks for all the info!

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
For the record - the term 'Quango' is an acronym and is not used in goverment. The official term is Non Departmental Public Body (NDPB) 'quango' is usually only used in the media.

George Osborne uses Quango. Of course, that probably tells us more about him....

Also, altho it's true that there's presently an effort to appear not to be spending money--Emin art aside--that won't last for ever. Or even long. It needn't be relevant to the OP's story.

Last edited:

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
@ Psychomacologist: Is that a common thing, giving out honorary degrees? I'd like to keep the alien aspect to a minimum, at least for one of the parties, because there will be people attending who aren't aware of the aliens' existence, but the other party could be something of the sort.
Yeah, handing out honourary degrees is a long-standing tradition of British universities. It might be something they'd give out to a prestigious alien dignatory or ambassador. Knowing the British upper class, they probably wouldn't know or care who was actually getting the degree, as long as there's a four course meal and an open bar...

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Can you...

get hold of a copy of your American 'Miss Manners Guide'? Your library might have one. Judith forgotten her surname wrote a column for the Washington Post, I believe, one of the American dailies anyway, about what to do and wear. She was hilariously tart but to the point. She has a lot to say about evening dress for men.

I don't have a TV so I don't know what Dr Who was wearing. If your tuxedo is a fitted jacket with tails and matching trousers, in other words a suit, then yes.

Watch any of the classic drama series by the BBC to see what is worn it hasn't changed much since Victoria's day! Downton Abbey is available in the USA I believe.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I'm sure I can Google images of men's formal wear, if I need inspiration for the descriptions.

Thanks for all the help!