Nudging dilemma

idempotent1729

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much for any advice on the following situation:

Three months ago, two agents requested my full MS, the requests being separated in time by a week. Each agent knows that another is reading. Tomorrow is the three-month mark for the second requester, and I'm wondering if the time of nudging has come.

However, I don't want either agent to think I am nudging because the other rejected me (in case this might plant seeds of doubt in their minds). How long should I wait before sending a polite email to check in, and what would a good phrasing be (I don't think I should say, "Not that the other agent rejected me, but are you still interested in my MS?")? Do agents read/proceed differently when they know another is reading? Or have I overthought this into some kind of prisoner's dilemma?

Thank you!

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
I would just be straight forward. No need to mention the other agent when nudging. Just send a nice email saying you are checking in and wondering if he or she has had a chance to look at your manuscript.

idempotent1729

Registered
Reaction score
I would just be straight forward. No need to mention the other agent when nudging. Just send a nice email saying you are checking in and wondering if he or she has had a chance to look at your manuscript.

Thanks! Any thoughts as to when? Superstitiously, I feel I should wait (but how long?), but impatiently, I want to know. Since neither superstition nor impatience feels like a very rational motive, I am not sure which to go with!

idempotent1729

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Any thoughts as to when? Superstitiously, I feel I should wait (but how long?), but impatiently, I want to know. Since neither superstition nor impatience feels like a very rational motive, I am not sure which to go with!

PS Your art on your website is quite beautiful! I love how natural/organic it looks.

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I guess people seem to say 3 months. If the web pages of the agent say how long it will take them to get back to you, you could go by that.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
The agents probably won't remember that there's another agent reading. It's been 3 months, they'd probably forget. If you can't find the agent's average reading time on their site or anywhere else, you could nudge any time.

idempotent1729

Registered
Reaction score
The agents probably won't remember that there's another agent reading. It's been 3 months, they'd probably forget. If you can't find the agent's average reading time on their site or anywhere else, you could nudge any time.

OK, this is a reasonable theory! Thanks to both of you. Maybe I'll let an extra week pass to make it well past the 3-mo mark of both, and then send a polite email...