Conference question

skycrashesdown

Registered
Reaction score
This might have been answered already and I just wasn't able to find it through the search function...

I'm attending a writer's conference next month where you get a chance to meet with an agent and make a quick five-minute pitch; this is included as part of the registration fee (you choose your top four from the list of who's attending, haven't found out yet who I get to meet with). I signed up for it because what the heck, it was included, and I chose four agents who rep YA books.

So. My YA novel is still in revisions. I know when querying obviously you should have a finished manuscript, but I'm wondering since this seems a little more informal (and each agent will no doubt be hearing about a zillion pitches) if it's acceptable to take the appointment and pitch the book, acknowledging that it's still in the revision stage. (I'd hoped to be much closer to a polished manuscript by now, but things happened.) Or should I just cancel my appointment and not waste the agent's time?

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I'd pitch. Never waste an opportunity. If someone expresses interest, tell them the conference has prompted ideas for revision (unless the conference just started) and ask how long they are willing to wait. Be clear that you don't wan to send them anything that isn't ready. In my experience, they appreciate that. (This only matters for editors who are in closed houses. The clock never really runs out for agents since they are almost always open for submissions.) After that, make sure you keep track of who asked for what and don't rush to get something out just to have it come back with a negative letter. Good luck.

graywillow

Start with a bang.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree completely with Debbie, and most agents will always be willing to look at something they requested at a conference, even if at a certain point they are closed to unsolicited submissions.

Good luck!

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd work my ass off to finish revising and pitch.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
The conference you're attending (which I've attended twice and love) allows people to pitch unfinished work as practice. Just be honest with the agent about the state of the work. Don't pitch it as finished assuming you can rush through and finish it if you get a request.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be honest with where it is in revisions and when you expect to have it done. Know that there's a 99.9% chance that you're going to get asked to send in a partial when it's finished if you do even a half-way decent pitch during that five minutes (and a full if you did a really GOOD pitch)--it's what those agents are there for.

After the conference, get it done, get it polished and when you get ready to send it in, make certain that you mention that you got the invite to submit after a discussion at such-and-such a conference. Be certain to write "Requested" on the box when you send it in, then it won't be misdirected to the slush pile.

Good luck.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
In my experience, nothing results in a request for a full faster than an unfinished/revised manuscript. Even if you don't tell them, they sense it. :)

Good luck!