What was the Most Exciting Thing that happened to you today?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is the Fourth of July, after all.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I got a new guitar:) I'm tickled.
I also finished another chapter in my manuscript (YEA!) and am now officially halfway through the book.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well I got my first piece of hate mail for an article I wrote for the newspaper.

Not the good kind of exciting. I'd never written anything political before so I guess I hit a nerve. I tried to be neutral-sounding and just present the facts.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You should copy it to this thread, along with your article, so we can judge whether the hatred is justified.

The thing is I was only reporting on a group that had a float in today's Fourth of July parade. It wasn't an opinion piece, just the facts.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
*Wonders how 'expert' mods might be in this area*

:D
The best ones are never judgmental but merely honest. Like me!
The thing is I was only reporting on a group that had a float in today's Fourth of July parade. It wasn't an opinion piece, just the facts.
Parade floats are sacred to some people, Kath. You should know better than to degrade them with mere facts, which others will misread as your opinion.

Seriously, you should link to the article here so we can either vindicate or malign your story. We're your friends, after all, and can offer honest feedback.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
There were 2 exciting things that have happened to me today. No! 3! And it's only noon... Sheesh, I can't keep living at this fast pace. ;)

I'll start with the one I almost forgot. It was exciting in a bad way. It was a car crash on the corner of a busy intersection. I didn't see the actual crash, just the aftermath. It looks like a car plowed into a traffic light pole. The car was on its side, and the pole was down and the breakable bits broken.

There was a woman on the side of the road, sitting down, who looked a little shaken. But there was also a medic who appeared to be giving CPR to someone, though I couldn't see the person. Gosh, I hope everyone was alright.

Now, the other 2 exciting things to happen to me sort of pale in comparison, and involve shopping. (Big surprise. ;))

1. I had a knowledgeable gamer girl in the video game store all to myself for about 5 minutes while the store was empty, and we discussed the XBox360 and Kinect (which I want but soooo can't afford) which then led into a discussion on virtual reality gaming, and how soon we think it might come about for reals. Very interesting, and I don't often have interesting conversations with people in real life, so that was kind of exciting. Plus - gamer girl. An actual flesh-and-blood girl that I had something to talk about with! Miracle of miracles!

2. This happened before going into the game store. There was a book sale in the centre of the mall. It opened up yesterday, but they've been in this mall plenty of times in the past year. I've gotten to know the boss lady there a little bit, and being a book distributor sale company, naturally I've bought a bunch of books from them.

Anyway, today I was walking up to them, and the boss lady caught my eye and waved me over, and said, "We just got in a load of Pratchett novels." It's awesome that she not only remembers me as a loyal customer, but also remembers most of the authors I've discussed with her. :)

So there were about 10 Discworld novels (2 were the same though) and 5 that I had never read before (I'm not made of money, and there's, like, 35 of them!). The sign said, "$6.95 each, or 3 for $15" so obviously I wanted to get 3, which was just $1 more than buying 2. I was tossing up whether or not to spend the money, but in the end, I had the cash on me, and I'd received extra money in my pay yesterday, so I eventually decided, "Hell yes!"

I was already thrilled with the price, and a woman I didn't know came over to take my money. I handed her the money, and then the boss lady wandered over and said, "$12 for him." Total fucking win.

So basically, I got 3 books for $4 each, when normally a Discworld novel in Australia will cost about $22 each.

So that was quite exciting. :) I have to rearrange parts of my 2 bookcases now, because I don't actually have room for these 3 books the way it's currently set up.

/ramble

(I think the person who got a new guitar had a better day than me though. ;))

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That's a very cool day, Cliff! Except the crash, obviously.

I found a boatload of leetle toads and leetle tree frogs all in the gardens early this morning. It is ridiculous how much I love them :D I'm so happy to see so many!

Eudoxia

The Undead Bookworm
Registered
Reaction score
Dear ol' sister and I hung out in the backyard and waved sparklers around as well as this little sparky things that spin around. We went to the store to get a couple more sparklers and a little round thing that shot a fountain of sparks.

This might have been the best 4th of July I have ever had.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
.../ramble...

Ramble? (Hon, your posts are books!)
;) (I kid, I kid.)

The most exciting thing that happened to me today was I tried the new angus/mushroom burger at McDonalds. I've never tried it before.

It was good.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had almost half an inch of rain. That may not sound exciting to most of you, but here in central AZ it was a good thing!

MM

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Dear ol' sister and I hung out in the backyard and waved sparklers around as well as this little sparky things that spin around. We went to the store to get a couple more sparklers and a little round thing that shot a fountain of sparks.

This might have been the best 4th of July I have ever had.

I haven't seen a sparkler since I was a kid. They're banned in NJ (because apparently some of us are too stupid to know that things that were just on fire are hot even after the fire goes out. Especially if that something that was on fire is metal (or metallic in nature, since I don't really know if a sparkler is metal or not. All I know is that for x amount of years, we lit them every 4th of July and not one of us ever got burned. It was drilled into us that you didn't touch them once they went out. Not. Ever.)

I just may have to smuggle some into the state for next year. :D

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
There were 2 exciting things that have happened to me today. No! 3! And it's only noon... Sheesh, I can't keep living at this fast pace. ;)

I'll start with the one I almost forgot. It was exciting in a bad way. It was a car crash on the corner of a busy intersection. I didn't see the actual crash, just the aftermath. It looks like a car plowed into a traffic light pole. The car was on its side, and the pole was down and the breakable bits broken.

There was a woman on the side of the road, sitting down, who looked a little shaken. But there was also a medic who appeared to be giving CPR to someone, though I couldn't see the person. Gosh, I hope everyone was alright.

Now, the other 2 exciting things to happen to me sort of pale in comparison, and involve shopping. (Big surprise. ;))

1. I had a knowledgeable gamer girl in the video game store all to myself for about 5 minutes while the store was empty, and we discussed the XBox360 and Kinect (which I want but soooo can't afford) which then led into a discussion on virtual reality gaming, and how soon we think it might come about for reals. Very interesting, and I don't often have interesting conversations with people in real life, so that was kind of exciting. Plus - gamer girl. An actual flesh-and-blood girl that I had something to talk about with! Miracle of miracles!

2. This happened before going into the game store. There was a book sale in the centre of the mall. It opened up yesterday, but they've been in this mall plenty of times in the past year. I've gotten to know the boss lady there a little bit, and being a book distributor sale company, naturally I've bought a bunch of books from them.

Anyway, today I was walking up to them, and the boss lady caught my eye and waved me over, and said, "We just got in a load of Pratchett novels." It's awesome that she not only remembers me as a loyal customer, but also remembers most of the authors I've discussed with her. :)

So there were about 10 Discworld novels (2 were the same though) and 5 that I had never read before (I'm not made of money, and there's, like, 35 of them!). The sign said, "$6.95 each, or 3 for $15" so obviously I wanted to get 3, which was just $1 more than buying 2. I was tossing up whether or not to spend the money, but in the end, I had the cash on me, and I'd received extra money in my pay yesterday, so I eventually decided, "Hell yes!"

I was already thrilled with the price, and a woman I didn't know came over to take my money. I handed her the money, and then the boss lady wandered over and said, "$12 for him." Total fucking win.

So basically, I got 3 books for $4 each, when normally a Discworld novel in Australia will cost about $22 each.

So that was quite exciting. :) I have to rearrange parts of my 2 bookcases now, because I don't actually have room for these 3 books the way it's currently set up.

/ramble

(I think the person who got a new guitar had a better day than me though. ;))

I wish I had this day, except it was a boy who wanted to talk about writing or cross stitch, and there was no car crash, and that the books were ebooks of The Dark Tower series so I can have them in my Kindle.

I know. I'm askin' for a lot. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Your day will come. :)

I've still yet to meet a writer in person, so I've not had a proper "We're writers" conversation IRL.

I'll settle for my gamer-girl-VR conversation. :)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, to answer my own question: Most exciting thing today was ALMOST getting a job interview. How do ya like this one: I had a phone call this morning; it went to voice mail since I was unavailable at that moment. So I listened to the message and called back. The woman answered and said, "I can't talk to you right now, but I will call you back."

And did she???

No. Huh? What?

Why not just let it go to voice mail if she couldn't talk at that time? Why tell me she will call back and then not call all day long?

I am a bit miffed.