MAJOR WORLD TERRORIST ORGANIZATIONS

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Could you guys tell me what the major/mid-level terrorist organizations are? The ones still in operation today. I'd appreciate any information on them too (where they're based, are they considered well funded ...) but I'll look them up if you can give me the names.

It doesn't have to be terrorists against the USA. In fact, I'd prefer a more diverse list.

Additionally, are you aware of any terrorist organizations that work together (sometimes)?

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
Off the top of my head,
(Take it or leave it - one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter)

I think the Tamil Tigers are done with now, but they're certainly recent (Sri Lanka)

ETA - Basque separatist movement. (I can't recall if they're in their on-mode or off-mode right now; gut feeling is that they're on their latest round of cease-fire)

Whatever the present incarnation of the IRA is.

Edit to add - I can probably be a lot more helpful if you give a bit more info on what you're looking for/why you're looking for it. It was one of my more interesting focuses when I was in university. Those three examples above are just the first three that came to mind. Terrorists come in lots of flavors.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The Real IRA, ETA, FARC, Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
Real IRA
Continuity IRA
Heres a good link: http://www.cfr.org/terrorist-organizations/ira-splinter-groups-uk-separatists/p9239

IRA were renowned as one of the most professional terrorist cells, they instructed and trained with other international terrorist units in north Africa and other terrorist training camps around the world. In fact, when the IED's were first used in Iraq and Afghanistan it is said by UK bomb disposal guys that they had a familiar feel about them.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I think that you would be safer making up a name.

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
US Federal Reserve Bank, ECB and the global too big to fail financial services companies

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Could you guys tell me what the major/mid-level terrorist organizations are? The ones still in operation today. I'd appreciate any information on them too (where they're based, are they considered well funded ...) but I'll look them up if you can give me the names. There are many. Are you looking for a group with a specific ideology, etc.?

It doesn't have to be terrorists against the USA. In fact, I'd prefer a more diverse list. See above.

Additionally, are you aware of any terrorist organizations that work together (sometimes)? Oh yes. There are quite a few that cooperate on occasion.

The official Dos List of FTOs (note this list isn't all-inclusive and is very political):
http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/other/des/123085.htm

Basic lists of terror orgs: http://www.cdi.org/terrorism/terrorist-groups.cfm

http://terrorism.about.com/od/groupsleader1/a/TerroristGroups.htm

I work in this area so if you provide specifics (what is the group's ideology, what terrorist acts do you need the group to commit, WHERE, and against what target, etc. etc.), then I can possibly give you some specific groups to research.

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
Pakistan and India are the two largest state sponsors of terrorism. The Kashmir region is their main area or operation. Not Taliban or aL Qaeda per se.