PDA

View Full Version : Ever Wonder Why So Many People Think Bono (U2) is Cool?

mscelina
07-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Well, here's a prime example from U2's show in Nashville last night from the Rolling Stone. (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/u2-brings-blind-fan-onstage-to-perform-all-i-want-is-you-20110703)

Pretty cool thing to watch--and an awesome moment within the audience at approximately 2:40 in the performance.

I'll confess--sometimes when Bono opens his mouth I inwardly cringe. But by the same token, Bono and U2 have provided me with some of the most poignant moments--when music and the present--whether social, political or just a random act like this one last night--collide in a particularly memorable way.

Just thought I'd share--thought you guys would like it. Enjoy!

Cliff Face
07-04-2011, 07:04 AM
That's pretty cool. I've never really gotten into U2, but you gotta respect something like that.

:)

alleycat
07-04-2011, 07:08 AM
One of my pretend daughters was at the concert last night. She had a great time.

mscelina
07-04-2011, 07:09 AM
I'm a child of the eighties. I really loved U2 until the early nineties, when they started doing really cheesy stuff. But they seem to have regained their edge lately (pun intended) so I'm starting to warm up to them.

To be honest, I forgave them a lot after their Super Bowl performance a few months after 9-11. And then they f*cked it all up with the Spider-Man show on Broadway!

mscelina
07-04-2011, 07:12 AM
One of my pretend daughters was at the concert last night. She had a great time.

I have pretend kids too. I'm the surrogate parent when they want advice but are too afraid to go to their own parents. :)

U2 is one of the few bands I've seen multiple times--U2, The Police,Sting (solo), REM and Pearl Jam. So I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for them, until I start thinking about that damn Spider-Man show again. *grumble*

alleycat
07-04-2011, 07:14 AM
I'm not sure about the pretend daughters (they like to be taken out to dinner too much), but the pretend granddaughter is nice.

mscelina
07-04-2011, 07:22 AM
The two and a half real granddaughters I have are expensive enough; I can't afford pretend ones.

(granddaughter # 3 is due in December)

Sophia
07-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Aww, that was great! Thank you for that. :)

BenPanced
07-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Lucky bastard. How many of us have been at a show and hoped for a moment like that?

thothguard51
07-04-2011, 08:36 PM
An old interview with Bono's daughter indicates she does not think he is all that cool, especially when he's talking about his UN work and such.

But then, my kids did not think I was cool at that age - even though their friends did. I am uncle Nick to kids I don't even know and to this day, Coach Nick to the kids I coached soccer for so many years. I kinda like that...

BenPanced
07-04-2011, 09:03 PM
I read an interview with his bandmates where they said their eyes glaze over every time he goes off on a political rant during a concert. I think the drummer said he just wants to throttle Bono and scream SHUT UP AND SING! each time this happens.

mscelina
07-04-2011, 09:08 PM
He's not the only one.

But, I think, U2 has always had a pretty realistic notion of what they mean to their fans, and particularly what their fans mean to them. And even if I rapidly switch channels when Bono is rambling about whatever political issue is his current favorite, I can't help but get a warm fuzzy to see something like this and dig my old Joshua Tree vinyl out from the cupboard and slap in on my stereo.

Yes, I still listen to vinyl. So what? I have the CD too...

Sophia
07-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Did you see the episode of The Simpsons that U2 appeared in? They did a concert in Springfield, during which Bono started in on one of his little talks. Cut to Adam rolling his eyes, and walking off with the rest of the band, all shaking their heads. :D

thothguard51
07-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Neil Young is famous for his rants on stage, I expect this when I go to one of his concerts, or when he's touring with CSN&Y. I didn't mind him ranting during farm aide about the plight of the American Farmer, but his last concert I attended with Crosby, Stills, and Nash made not only me but hundreds of fans get up and leave.

He was going on and on about the war in Iraq, and then while playing a song, the images and faces of soldiers who died in Iraq were put on the large jumbo trons. To me, this was very disrespectful of his audience as he had no way of knowing if someones mother, father, brother, sister, girlfriend or other relatives and friends were in the audience.

My son was serving in Iraq at the time and I knew he had lost buddies, and it was not something I needed to be reminded about especially when I paid $90 for tickets. I paid to see you perform, not see pictures of fallen soldiers, Neil. I left, and I was not alone in doing so...

He went too far...

Silver King
07-05-2011, 02:50 AM
That clip almost made me cry, dang it.

(Someone posted recently that a friend or family member gave Bono a ride when the musician was caught walking in the rain and brought him back to his hotel. Can't remember which thread it was in, but I'll link to it here if I can locate the post.)

Silver King
07-05-2011, 05:35 AM
...(Someone posted recently that a friend or family member gave Bono a ride when the musician was caught walking in the rain and brought him back to his hotel. Can't remember which thread it was in, but I'll link to it here if I can locate the post.)
I've tried every search term I can think of, dozens at least, but can't find that post. It's a very cool aside that occurred in a discussion during U2's current tour, though I can't locate, nor recall, what thread or in which room it took place.

I remember the OP mentioned that the driver went by two people near the side of the road during a downpour. He recognized one of them as Bono and turned the car around. His wife thought he was mad, yet indeed they did pick up Bono and another passenger and drove them to a hotel. I believe the driver was given free tickets to that night's U2 concert for his troubles.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Or have I finally gone out of my mind and imagined the whole thing?

thothguard51
07-05-2011, 05:46 AM
I remember reading about it sometime back on one of the web music reporting size. Don't remember which one it was though...