Security Cameras in Hospitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score
Are there security cameras in hospitals? If so, are they in the patients' rooms too?
I'm working on a story with something that messes with cameras. I'm hoping that I can put a hospital scene in there, but I'm not sure if they have cameras.

Thanks!

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I know, there are security cameras in hospitals -- but in general areas, not individual patient rooms. I was in a writers' group where one of the writers was working on a murder mystery set in a hospital, and the security tape issue was brought up. The writer in question was a hospital-administrator (or something similar), so she ought to know.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are strict privacy regulations which prohibit cameras in private rooms except under certain conditions including visual monitoring of some patients.
Common areas are always under surveillance. Some pan back and forth, some are pan / tilt / zoom and some are just stationary. In larger areas an “Orange Peel” rotation is enabled to get wide area surveillance.
I am very versed in surveillance cameras and can help you with any technical questions. I can help verify the hospital applications too if you want.

Feel free to give a couple of specifics.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
There are security cameras in hosptials essentially everywhere BUT patient rooms. HOWEVER in the ER and on psych floors there are patient rooms with cameras in them for patients at risk of harming themselves.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I practiced for many years in a pediatric intensive care unit that had cameras in every room to monitor seizures (we were a big neurology unit). Some specialized epilepsy units have similar cameras in every room. Among other things, we caught on film a case of a mother partially smothering her child: a syndrome known as Munchausen by Proxy. We had suspected it, which is why (with the lawyers' permission) we had the film running without her knowledge.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Munchausen by Proxy is a strange one. I am friends with the prosecutor who got the convitction on Kathleen Bush. Although successful there were really no winners there.

I think that was the disorder featured on "The sixth Sense too"

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
rtilryarms said:
Munchausen by Proxy is a strange one.
Yes, it is a strange form of child abuse. In twenty-five years of practice I have had several children in whom we suspected it, two of them confirmed. Both parents confessed when confronted with the evidence.

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry it took me a while to respond! My computer died, so I had to borrow one.

Thank you for the help! Knowing that they are in the general areas, but can be in other areas for certain conditions really helps me out!

Here's a few specifics on what my character's situation.
What I am having my character do is sneak into a hospital so they can talk to someone. I was wondering about the cameras because they will have something that causes the cameras to blur as they pass by. Since causing cameras to blur is important to the story, I wanted a place with them. They are also going to have to find a way to get around nurses and security. So, if anyone has any ideas of what I may need, I will gladly listen.

I am trying to look into hospitals more. So far I haven't found much luck on the internet. Does anyone know of a good site I could look into?

Thanks again!

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any aerosol spray will muck up the lens of a camera. In my due diligence inspections for firms I was tasked to find vulnerabilities. Cameras were a special treat to me. I sprayed them (theoreticallly) with wasp spray so I can infiltrate the physical plants and wreak distruction. Wasp spray will shoot over 20 - 30 feet. Very easy to disrupt visual surveilance. feel free to use it.

Mike

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Coincidentally, here is another nice Mom:

nice Mom

Funny how we in South Florida seem to attract these people.

amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.