Is there any way to force EPUB to open on a certain page?

Todsplace

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys :)

Does anyone know of a way to force EPUB to open a certain page??? MOBI allows you to open wherever you want, but I can't seem to find a way to do the same in EPUB.

Tod

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I spent some time looking, but I didn't find anything.

Most ereaders will open at the cover (obviously), and subsequently bookmark your place when you close the document, opening at the bookmark next time you pop it open. Even MOBIs. Also, some ereaders will let the user override the index page and open at the cover or table of contents, regardless of the document's settings.

Deleted member 42

Hi guys :)

Does anyone know of a way to force EPUB to open a certain page??? MOBI allows you to open wherever you want, but I can't seem to find a way to do the same in EPUB.

Tod

No, not in the file format itself.

It's perfectly possible for a reader app to add this, but thus far none have.

AllisonK

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allisonkraft.com
I just finished creating the ePub for my own novel yesterday, and it doesn't look like you can specify an opening page. However, you can tell it what order to open the files, so you can set it to open at the cover file, or at the table of contents file, or whichever other file you wish.

With mine, I have individual xhtml files for the cover, copyright page, each chapter, and the various end matter sections. So in my content.opf file, in the <spine> section, I arranged the files in the order I want them to open. This way, I know it will open on the cover, then move on from there to copyright, TOC, etc.

If you wanted to start it within one of the files, though, I'm not sure you could. But then I'm new at ePub, so don't quote me on that! :)