PDA

View Full Version : Yet another article on the future of publishing

honeysock
07-03-2011, 10:06 PM
From my neck o' the woods (the Austin American Statesman):

http://www.statesman.com/life/books/discoverability-key-in-publishing-industrys-transformation-1577857.html

Comments?

Seaclusion
07-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I don't know if that's sad or a good thing.

Richard

Maxinquaye
07-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Pah. An ad for Shelton Interactive disguised as an editorial.

Look, the publishing industry doesn't exist for writers. It exists for readers. If a million baboons could produce a fun, intelligent, readable and exciting book for nothing, then the publishing industry would give those baboons a contract.

The key for the publishing industry is, overall, that books are just that: readable, exciting and fun. Because they cater to the readers, and want the readers to give up those hard-earned euros or dollars.

Self-publishing, and the kindle lists that don't come from the publishing houses include 10+ Atlanta Nights and "Waves of Atlantis" for every readable book. Readers will keep wanting a short-cut, a filter, regardless of medium, and publishing houses offer that filter.

Seaclusion
07-03-2011, 10:33 PM
The key for the publishing industry is, overall, that books are just that: readable, exciting and fun. Because they cater to the readers, and want the readers to give up those hard-earned euros or dollars.

Self-publishing, and the kindle lists that don't come from the publishing houses include 10+ Atlanta Nights and "Waves of Atlantis" for every readable book. Readers will keep wanting a short-cut, a filter, regardless of medium, and publishing houses offer that filter.

Even if those 'Atlanta Nights' books on their kindle only cost .99?

Maxinquaye
07-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Yes, because price does not mean everything. You'd pay €5 for the bleach for your eyes after reading Atlanta Nights.

Seaclusion
07-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Actually, 'Atlanta Nights" is pretty hillarious when you know the context of why it exists.

Yes, price is not everything, but all those people trying to fill up their shiny new kindles might not view it that way

Richard

kaitie
07-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Depressing if true.

muravyets
07-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Actually, 'Atlanta Nights" is pretty hillarious when you know the context of why it exists.

Yes, price is not everything, but all those people trying to fill up their shiny new kindles might not view it that way

Richard
Maybe that's more of an argument for why kindle is not that great an idea. E-readers are still a relatively new technology and still all dewy with the sheen of novelty. I hope a day will come when people will not be so dazzled by the happy-fun-time ease of "filling it up" that they'll fill up their kindle with any cheap crap they can find, but rather, will exercise the same discretion they do with print books that require effort to get -- you know, on that great gettin' up day when there is no more oooh factor to pressing the button and getting the kibble -- er, I mean the book.

In any event, fine for the people who manage to make their money at $.99 a pop now. I hope they do well, while the enthusiasm for the toy lasts.

Al Stevens
07-04-2011, 12:18 AM
The toy is here to stay. Whether that's good or bad depends on your bias.

...the kindle lists that don't come from the publishing houses include 10+ Atlanta Nights and "Waves of Atlantis" for every readable book.

Is the ratio really that good? That's encouraging. I find much more than 10-1 useless books in the brick-and-mortar stores.

Maxinquaye
07-04-2011, 12:24 AM

Is the ratio really that good? That's encouraging. I find much more than 10-1 useless books in the brick-and-mortar stores.

I was being nice about it.

muravyets
07-04-2011, 12:36 AM

I never suggested that it wasn't, but people always do useless stuff with things that are new, until they figure out how they really want to use them.

Seaclusion
07-04-2011, 12:38 AM
I never suggested that it wasn't, but people always do useless stuff with things that are new, until they figure out how they really want to use them.

Or that they didn't need them in the first place.

Richard

muravyets
07-04-2011, 12:46 AM
True, but I can see good uses for e-readers and the potential for e-publishing to become a solid market segment for the future. What I don't see as likely is that enough people will continue to simply download any old thing because it's cheap forever. I agree with those who suggest that filtering will be desired by consumers again.

The way I see e-readers is that, at present, at this beginning stage of their implementation, they are functioning more like a marketing ploy than a reading tool. Like many new gadgets they do have a certain press button/get kibble reward effect, conditioning a buy reflex in consumers fueled by ease. For some people that will be all they need. They'll download unread and unreadable garbage without a second thought, 12 times a day, like munching peanuts. But for many people, the simple act of getting a book with incredible ease and speed will become boring and the question will become what else the tool can do. At that point, serious readers -- meaning those who actually want to read what they download -- will likely go back to being more discerning in their download choices.

frimble3
07-04-2011, 01:32 AM
And how many people, once they've bought the hot new toy, and pressed buttons for a while, will remember that they didn't read before, don't really like to read, and won't be reading any of this stuff?

CACTUSWENDY
07-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Not sure where this will go ten years from now. I remember when the 8-track became out of date for the cassette, only to be replaced with a shiny silver disk. (CD) Same with movies. It's kind of like building the better mouse trap thingy. I can now 'watch' stuff on my computer or cut a disk and watch it on my plasma/dig. TV screen. I would be interested in what the next area of invention lies ahead. I guess it is all called progress.

I bet there will all kinds of 'discovery' business pop up that will be promise to 'get your work' out to the public. I'm sure many will be scams.

Instead of fighting it.....we need to learn how to make the most of it. IMHO

honeysock
07-04-2011, 03:05 AM
How are agents viewing this, I wonder, when their pay check has traditionally come from selling book-books (real books)? A mushroom cloud can't be very appetizing for them. I realize that the agent's role is also in transition, but can anyone give me a couple potential scenarios for, say 2013 or 2014?

(AW is the only board I frequent these days, as I can find intelligent answers to almost anything here. Anyone know how to get red wax stains out of a white linen tablecloth?)

BenPanced
07-04-2011, 03:10 AM
How are agents viewing this, I wonder, when their pay check has traditionally come from selling book-books (real books)? A mushroom cloud can't be very appetizing for them. I realize that the agent's role is also in transition, but can anyone give me a couple potential scenarios for, say 2013 or 2014?
They've renegotiated their clients' contracts to include electronic rights, which is probably happening as we speak.

Al Stevens
07-04-2011, 04:59 AM
The paradigm is in its infancy. It will seek its own level as it defines itself for the marketplace, and, as Uncle Jim predicts, a new breed of gatekeepers will emerge to guide consumers through the dross to quality content.

LOG
07-04-2011, 07:18 AM
We need more, and more detailed, tags.

Also, they left out the editors. Getting published is easy now, but getting help for your books so they're readable is still something that needs to be done. As I understand it, we should expect to see an ever-widening gulf between publishing and editing groups. Why stick with the publishers if they don't get the books anymore?

blacbird
07-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Getting published is easy now,

Best joke I've heard this year.

caw

Williebee
07-04-2011, 08:40 AM
MOD NOTE:

Much as I respect and appreciate the Austin American Statesman, this doesn't really belong in P&CE. It may actually belong in Promotions. I'll ask for a ruling on that. Sorry for any drink spillage in the move.

-- Williebee

gothicangel
07-04-2011, 11:22 AM
'Discoverability': yet another corporate buzz word that I could live without *yawn*

LOG
07-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Best joke I've heard this year.

caw
Relatively speaking. :P

Soccer Mom
07-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Pah. An ad for Shelton Interactive disguised as an editorial.

This. The author of that article runs a business which helps authors/publishers "develop digital platforms."

It was just a big informercial.