Can You Crack the Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Here's some more rejections, although some interesting comments, I still can't seem to win anyone over. Can anyone help me figure this out and decode the code words? Highlighted in red are the things in question that bug me the most, what's your take on them? Here they are:

Thanks for checking in on me and (said title). I appreciate your patience!</SPAN>
Well, the manuscript certainly packs a punch! There’s a dead brother, a whole lot of unhappiness, and a girl whose dreams lead to solving a murder? Wow! Despite the ambitious premise, I’m sorry to say that the momentum just didn’t carry me through to the end. I wish it did! Best wishes to you on this, and thanks again!

Thanks for sending (said title). I was interested to take a look, because I’m actively looking for a thriller. Lisa’s manuscript has some great elements: red herrings, spine-tingly moments, and some real shockers too. But the style of writing doesn’t quite feel right for our list. The narration is fast-paced, but doesn’t allow for enough character development or depth. (publisher’s) list is comprised of books that straddle the literary and the commercial categories, and this felt a bit too commercial. Thanks so much for letting me see it.
All my best,

Thanks so much for sharing Lisa’s (said title) with me! I really love those dark and edgy reads—and have been looking for a good mystery/thriller. There’s a lot to pull in readers and keep them turning pages in this novel, but I wasn’t compelled by the big reveal at the end. While the build was good, so much of what makes one reader pass the book to another is that “aha!” moment at the end, and this felt like it was a bit too adult oriented (we try to keep them in the background in most of our teen novels). I am going to have to pass with regrets.</SPAN>
Thanks again for thinking of me. And I hope you find the perfect editorial match for (said title).
All best—

Thank you very much for submitting (title) for our consideration. I found Lisa’s voice very engaging and thought that Bee’s increasingly one-sided interactions with her mother hit just the right note. Unfortunately, however, I regret that I must pass. As I’m sure you know, (publisher) is a boutique imprint, and we already have quiet a few thrillers on our list. That, combined with some real pacing issues here, would make it difficult for us to really break (title) out in a big way. Thank you very much for thinking of us, however, and best of luck in finding an appropriate home for this project!
All best,

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, those are good Rs (as much as an R can be good) and it shows you that every editor is looking for something different. For example, one liked the MC's interactions with her mother, one thought the adult relationships were too prominent. There's nothing really to change yet, and hopefully you'll get in front of the right editor.

Hugs and good luck.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
So you don't think there's anything to change yet? My agent says to "ponder on the ending" some more. It seems my ending isn't good enough? Some say the fast-pace is good and others the momentum didn't carry through.

Red herrings are the characters that you think are the killer but aren't? Just trying to wrap my head around all this. I feel like I could break down or snap in somewhere, this is bothering me till no end.

There are 6 other editors that still have it. One of them that read it before and declined (one of the critiques above) and agreed to see the revision on the ending. The one that said the "aha moment". My agent said to wait on what she says first.

But I feel like I should open it up again and try to fix it.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
If you open it up, copy what you want to work on in a separate doc so the current version remains. Looks like you just haven't hit on the right editor, yet. Trust your agent to tell you if you get to the point of needing revision.

As for literary vs. commercial, I know I've seen threads in Novels about divining the difference, with examples.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks I will check the Novel section. I sincerely appreciate your thoughtful responses. I am really hoping this will still work with what I have already. I revised it so many times, I just don't know what to do anymore. But I will rest on it and do some research as to what the literary vs. commercial really means. Finding that out should help too, thanks.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
That's true, LMC, that two did mention that the ending didn't have the pop they wanted. Listen to your agent... She's read the book, and I haven't!

Simply put, literary novels are usually character-driven, and commercial novels are plot-driven. Literary/commercial is plot-driven like commercial fiction but with literary voice and character development. That comment may not mean there's anything wrong with your book -- just that it wasn't the right editor. There are plenty of editors who want commercial books.

Last edited:

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I spot a pattern.

You got two (very vague!) comments on pacing--"momentum just didn't carry me through to the end" and "real pacing issues." That, combined with the hint that the ending was not satisfying in some way ("
I wasn't compelled by the big reveal at the end ... [but] the build was good") suggests to me that your pacing and suspense is generally strong but loses steam somewhere towards the end, and the ending perhaps lacks the punch it needs.

But honestly, with how vague these Rs are, don't read too much in to them. Discuss it with your agent. Perhaps run it past betas. Try to get more details on exactly what isn't working before you take the ol' hatchet to it.

DavidCrue

Secret of life: more basil
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking the punchline is: you got personalized rejections. If you're in a genre where the editors do that for everyone, let me know what genre that is.

Personalized rejections really boil down to, "It is so awesome that it came this close. One or two things were fatal flaws for us."

Sometimes I suspect they send those out because when your book becomes the next bestseller, they can always whip those out as proof they weren't total idiots for passing it up.

Listen to your agent. The book is regularly hitting an inch off the mark. It's entirely possible another editor will love it like her own grandchild. IF, and only IF, you get turned down by everyone, then maybe you should consider calling your beta back up to go over consistent pace and the ending. Until then, go buy yourself chocolate to celebrate getting FOUR personalized rejections.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Leah, that I think is something right there, the pacing. You're right. There's got to be a point in the story that loses steam or cuts off too short? Maybe if all else fails, I'll have to revisit the ending, or a few chapters till the end.

And thank you too, David. I'm lucky to have recieved personalized rejections. I want to learn from it as much as I can.

Basically to me it sounds like it's too short of a novel. It needs to be stretched out (along with the end too.) It's a hard nut to swallow, but I think that's it.

In the meantime, I thought to print the sucker out and read it again (in a seperate file) for my own sanity. I stopped my latest WIP-- stalled miserably so I'm doing nothing else right now. Having the time helps. And as I am waiting, reading and "pondering" hopefully good news is yet to come. IF not, I have yet another backup plan. I don't wanna give up (can very easily) but will try my darnest to stay in the game. Thanks again everyone!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There's never a code. All such rejections just mean no. When they mean anything other than no, the agent will spell it out in no uncertain terms.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Overall I'm getting: "Like the concept, the execution not so much, especially where the ending/payoff is concerned."

Your agent seems to be unsure about the ending, too. Ponder it, as suggested, and try out some alternative endings.

Red herrings are clues that lead nowhere, or at least not to the solution of the central mystery.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
What I'm reading here is two things:

1. You telegraphed the punch. What this means is that there's some hint in the text about what the ending was so there was no "Aha!" moment, or at least not enough of one that it felt anticlimatic. That also affects the pacing because the important stuff happens too quickly so the middle feels draggy and the ending feels bleh---even if the action itself ramps up.

2. The characters didn't have enough depth. This is actually really easily fixed in the text without much fuss. It might be that it's a plot focused book, which is fine (or at least, it WAS fine for a very long time. But lately I've noticed the publishers want very character focused books, regardless of the plot. Probably because those are the books topping the lists.) What an editor is going to want to see is that the characters had lives before the book opened and will continue to have lives when the book closes. The easiest way to convey this is to have some aspect of their "before-book" life nag at them throughout the story and bite them in the butt during a crisis point. It's sort of like having a fern in the kitchen window. You forget to water it Monday, you notice it's a little droopy on Tuesday and think, "Oh, I must water that!" but forget. You never make it to the kitchen on Wednesday, and the leaves are hanging down by Thursday. You water it. It's too late. You then remember on Friday that, "Crap! That wasn't my fern. It was the one I was watching for the neighbor! I moved my fern to the bedroom." Now what to do? Poof. You have depth in the character over the course of the fern episode. (But dealing with people are better than ferns. They need the same attention and have more violent reactions.)

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.