PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmithing

Kevans
07-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Scored a new barrel today. (18 inch bull pup marksman model) It fits a Ruger 10 22 action, I'm going to get a old action and build me a steam punk side arm. Probably a pistol with an eighteen inch barrel, complete with top mounted scope.
Regards,
Kevin

Jamesaritchie
07-03-2011, 07:01 PM
If it has an eighteen inch barrel, it's probably going to be classified as a rifle, not a pistol. All it needs to be counted as a rifle is a sixteen inch barrel, and an overall length of twenty-six inches.

This saves a lot of hassle with permits, and where and how you can carry and use it. I'd love to see the completed version.

Kevans
07-05-2011, 02:38 PM
It is mostly an excuse to carve a custom stock, the Ruger action is very reliable, and the rest of the parts are literally found hardware.

I am thinking of an English civil war grip, stock, with brass banding, and perhaps a detachable shoulder extension. It will be something decorative, that shoots straight.

Give it three or four months, I have a pair of novels to finish first. Sigh.

Regards,

Kevin

Jamesaritchie
07-05-2011, 11:52 PM
It is mostly an excuse to carve a custom stock, the Ruger action is very reliable, and the rest of the parts are literally found hardware.

I am thinking of an English civil war grip, stock, with brass banding, and perhaps a detachable shoulder extension. It will be something decorative, that shoots straight.

Give it three or four months, I have a pair of novels to finish first. Sigh.

Regards,

Kevin

the 10/22 is great rifle, but I never thought anyone would come out with a .22 that you can, if you wish, spend thousands on. I have friend who have done just this.

Yours sounds like it will be beautiful. Be sure to post pics.

skylark
07-14-2011, 03:00 PM
the 10/22 is great rifle, but I never thought anyone would come out with a .22 that you can, if you wish, spend thousands on. I have friend who have done just this.

Yours sounds like it will be beautiful. Be sure to post pics.

If I bought my target .22 today, new, it would cost in excess of $5000 before I spent any extra money on it at all.

I agree, would love to see pics. I may use the latest aluminium model but I think hand carved wooden stocks are gorgeous :)

Jamesaritchie
07-14-2011, 07:11 PM
If I bought my target .22 today, new, it would cost in excess of $5000 before I spent any extra money on it at all.

I agree, would love to see pics. I may use the latest aluminium model but I think hand carved wooden stocks are gorgeous :)

You don't happen to know anyone who makes custom aluminum stocks, do you?

skylark
07-15-2011, 01:21 AM
The closest to custom I know of is these folks:

http://www.hps-tr.com/prods_ultra_stocks.asp

That strange burbling noise you hear is the sound of me coveting one.

Jamesaritchie
07-18-2011, 11:30 PM
The closest to custom I know of is these folks:

http://www.hps-tr.com/prods_ultra_stocks.asp

That strange burbling noise you hear is the sound of me coveting one.

Thanks for the link. Didn't know about these guys. Sure are pretty.