Where is the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so it's pretty obvious that the issues in this thread http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218254 were full on plagarism, but what about charging for what amounts to fan fiction (at least in my opinion)?

Say, you take an organization in a fairly well known and popular sci-fi comedy and make your character a member of that organization?

Isn't that fan fic?

Is that sellable?

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Totally depends on the situation. If you were to have your character be a member of the Battle Star Galatica and sell that book for a profit, yes that is copyright infringement. You are taking someone's registered and probably copyrighted idea and claiming it as your own, in my own humble opinion.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I thought.

Still trying to figure out a nice way to ask "Dude, you realize you're selling fanfic, right?"

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I thought.

Still trying to figure out a nice way to ask "Dude, you realize you're selling fanfic, right?"

Is the person you are asking writing tie-in books or something? *is confused, lol* :tongue

Like, are we talking about writers who are hired (I'm assuming they are hired) to write Expanded Universe/tie-ins to copyrighted stuff like Star Wars/Star Trek/Transformers/etc?

If you are talking about people with original stories who are stealing bits and pieces from copyrighted stuff (without permission, too), then yes, I would think that is plagiarism. Is that that you are talking about? :Huh:

Or are you talking about people trying to sell their fanfiction works (without permission)?

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
No, it's not tie in work for hire.

It's a novella that has the male MC a member of a group. That group is from a movie. The group has the same name as in the movie and does the same thing as in the movie. When I first read the description I thought it was fanfic; the title of the book even references the title of the movie. But then I found out it's for sale as a self-published novella.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's not tie in work for hire.

It's a novella that has the male MC a member of a group. That group is from a movie. The group has the same name as in the movie and does the same thing as in the movie. When I first read the description I thought it was fanfic; the title of the book even references the title of the movie. But then I found out it's for sale as a self-published novella.

Then, yes. I would consider that as copyright infringement. You are taking someone's concept of the group and putting into your book. One should have their own world with its own original groups.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Then, yes. I would consider that as copyright infringement. You are taking someone's concept of the group and putting into your book. One should have their own world with its own original groups.
That's what I thought. I dont' think I'm even going to bother to tell her. It's not worth the hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.