PDA

View Full Version : [English slang] derogatory terms for Scots and short people?

Ria13
07-01-2011, 09:14 PM
londonslang.com gave me the delightful term "porridge wog" for the Scots. would like to find similar terms. note that I want current, not outdated, slang, if at all possible.

mirandashell
07-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Porridge wog? Never heard of it! And a word of warning.... 'wog' is a racist word. A bad racist word. On a level with the n-word in America. Very liable to get your head punched. And it's rarely used now.

Slang for a Scotsman? Jock. Jimmy. ERmmm.... someone else will have some more.

Ria13
07-01-2011, 09:51 PM
And a word of warning.... 'wog' is a racist word. A bad racist word.
yep, I know.

Slang for a Scotsman? Jock. Jimmy. ERmmm.... someone else will have some more.
would a Scot find those insulting? I want something insulting.

Rufus Coppertop
07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
londonslang.com gave me the delightful term "porridge wog" for the Scots.

Porridge wog?

PORRIDGE WOG?

:roll::ROFL::hooray:

Adam
07-01-2011, 09:58 PM
I never once heard the term 'porridge wog' before today, and I'm British.

Maybe it's used in another part of the country, though.

Steve Collins
07-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Actually I was always under the impression that WOG originated in Egypt and was a term used by British troops for the labourers (Workers On Government Service). But when I look in my dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English it states: A lower - class babu shipping - clerk: nautical: late C. 19-20. But I digress, the common slang for a Scotsman in the UK is a 'Sweaty' as in 'Sweaty Sock' which rhymes with Jock.

Short people are Trolls, Runts or Canary's as in 'Canary Wharf' which rhymes with Dwarf.

mirandashell
07-01-2011, 10:04 PM
It possibly started out that way, Steve, but by the 1970s, in England at least, it was our equivalent of the n-word.

Ria13
07-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Short people are Trolls, Runts or Canary's as in 'Canary Wharf' which rhymes with Dwarf.
good one, thanks.

Ria13
07-01-2011, 10:10 PM
It possibly started out that way, Steve, but by the 1970s, in England at least, it was our equivalent of the n-word.
Scientologists also used it to refer to people outside of Scientology. (not sure if they still do.) which says a lot about Scientology.

mirandashell
07-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Really? Didn't know that.

Hmm.... never did like that 'religion'.

Steve Collins
07-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Reaches for the tin-foil hat! Miranda, yes, I know about the derogatory term, I was a Met cop through the 70's, 80's and 90's, I doubt there's not a derogatory term I haven't heard. ;))

mirandashell
07-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Ah! Sorry Steve. Got my pedantic head on tonight.

Ria13
07-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Reaches for the tin-foil hat! Miranda, yes, I know about the derogatory term, I was a Met cop through the 70's, 80's and 90's, I doubt there's not a derogatory term I haven't heard. ;))
hey, I won't vouch for its accuracy. only repeating what I read on the site.

AmsterdamAssassin
07-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Well, you know why Scots wear kilts, right?

Sheep can hear a zipper from miles away...

BigWords
07-01-2011, 10:45 PM
There are a few - "England's unemployed neighbours"; jocks; "skirt-wearing ____" (add expletive of your choice); "girls" (or "ladies", normally applied to larger men); The Welfare Nation; the barbarians at the wall...

I could spend all day on this, but I would probably be lynched.

Ria13
07-01-2011, 10:50 PM
There are a few - "England's unemployed neighbours"; jocks; "skirt-wearing ____" (add expletive of your choice); "girls" (or "ladies", normally applied to larger men); The Welfare Nation; the barbarians at the wall...
FYI, the particular person getting insulted (for both his height and ancestry) lives in the US now and has for some time when the story opens. thank you, though.

waylander
07-01-2011, 11:11 PM
I would go with 'jocks' as the most widely used terms for our Scottish neighbours.

I am aware it has an entirely different meaning within US slang

Steve Collins
07-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Well as 'Septic Tank' is UK slang for Yank and he's also short and Scottish he must be a 'Sweaty, Canary, Septic' Job done! ;)

pdr
07-02-2011, 05:05 AM
'porridge wog' - never heard it and my father was anglophile, xenophobic and acutely racist.

He had derogatory terms which began at the Channel. The politest being wogs, wops, and niggers!

A Scot was a bloody jock, or a hairy girl, and small people were runts, too little to reach a titty.

Psychomacologist
07-02-2011, 05:13 AM
I always got called 'midget' at school.

You wanna insult a short Scotsman? How about "skirt-wearing short-arse" (with added expletives of your choice).

Mr Flibble
07-02-2011, 05:40 AM

Oh man, a lot will depend on area, cos I haven't heard anyone say those. Where I am, if you're little you get called Hobbit, Shortarse or Stumpy Little Fuck Pig (only by those who, you know, like you)For womeen you might get POison Dwarf

For scots...no one gives a crap where you're from round here. I'm one of two in my local who was born within fifty miles! They just get called by name. Except Jock. Who is Welsh.

Xelebes
07-02-2011, 07:13 AM
Well as 'Septic Tank' is UK slang for Yank and he's also short and Scottish he must be a 'Sweaty, Canary, Septic' Job done! ;)

Don't tell me the slang for a Canadian is a Bannock.

Buffysquirrel
07-02-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm learning a lot of slang I didn't know before....

Scots git is what I usually hear. Perhaps I run in the wrong circles. For short people, shortase or titch.

Psychomacologist
07-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm learning a lot of slang I didn't know before....

Scots git is what I usually hear. Perhaps I run in the wrong circles. For short people, shortase or titch.
Oh yeah, titch!! I got called that all the time at school!

Bigglesworth
07-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Ria13, as IRU implied, I think we need to know where your insulter hails from; a lot of insults tend to regional (eg, all of Steve's are cockney rhyming slang - being a northerner I'd never heard of any of them).

stray
07-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Sweaties is the collective term for those cloeset to the border. Sheep-shaggers if they're from Aberdeen or up in the highlands.
A short person from Scotland would be known as a wee c**t..

stray
07-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Ah, but your asking about what londoners would call em. Now they would say something like this little F**kin Scottish C**nt. No real slang for Scots apart from sweaty, or jocks, as mentioned. But those terms aren't really used nowadays.

Ria13
07-02-2011, 08:34 PM
A short person from Scotland would be known as a wee c**t..

hah! I would use that but I don't think I can get away with saying "cunt" in a YA.

Ria13
07-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Ria13, as IRU implied, I think we need to know where your insulter hails from; a lot of insults tend to regional (eg, all of Steve's are cockney rhyming slang - being a northerner I'd never heard of any of them).
all right. she (the one making the insult) comes from London.

Ria13
07-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Oh yeah, titch!! I got called that all the time at school!
the name comes from the Victorian era music hall performance Little Titch. thanks a lot.

Steve Collins
07-03-2011, 02:20 AM
hah! I would use that but I don't think I can get away with saying "cunt" in a YA.

So if they are from London revert back to cockney, he's a 'Backta' (Backta Front) you do the math. ;)

STKlingaman
07-03-2011, 09:56 AM
You're just a "Wee Laddy"
while holding your fingers about an inch apart.

Bufty
07-03-2011, 05:34 PM
And do you know what? If anybody called me any of these things I'd simply glance skywards and seek more intelligent company.

Ria13
07-03-2011, 05:35 PM
So if they are from London revert back to cockney, he's a 'Backta' (Backta Front) you do the math. ;)
'kay, well I don't need help with that aspect. Londonslang.com has already provided me with a couple of ways to do it.

Ria13
07-03-2011, 05:38 PM
And do you know what? If anybody called me any of these things I'd simply glance skywards and seek more intelligent company.
I have a self-consciously loutish ladette saying these things. you know, not an admirable character.

efreysson
07-03-2011, 06:34 PM
What a fascinating thread. :)