PDA

View Full Version : IRS RELATED SCAM (moved from Roundtable)

Sargentodiaz
07-01-2011, 08:01 PM
There's someone out there using the scam of telling someone they have a refund coming from the IRS. The email says "IRS.gov" BUT IT'S NOT!!!
The IRS WILL NEVER send an email like that.
BEWARE!

Margarita Skies
07-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the warning.

Soccer Mom
07-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for warning folks. I'm going to move this to OP since it's not really about writing.

benbradley
07-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Just to be pedantic, this thread is NOT a scam by the IRS, which the topic led me to believe.

But yes, email is insecure (in a lot of ways), and it's possible to put ANY address in the From: and Reply-To: fields.

MaryMumsy
07-02-2011, 12:57 AM
The IRS will never send an email to a general citizen. They do have some email interaction with tax professionals, but never with tax payers.

MM

whacko
07-02-2011, 02:06 AM
Yeah I've been getting that too. And since I'm hardly turning a coin in the UK I can't imagine that the IRS would be interested in my Hollywood royalties.

In saying that, as I'm always getting e-mails about UPS deliveries that I've no knowledge of, maybe Uncle Sam is wondering about my income.

Regards

Whacko

Caitlin Black
07-02-2011, 04:05 AM
We have the same thing in Australia. Emails from the ATO telling people "Fill out these forms to receive your tax return moneys yo" or whatever.

I'm wondering if I'm going to get one of those. It'd be kind of funny, considering I haven't earnt any money this financial year... Just unemployment, which isn't enough to be taxed on, and which tax isn't taken out of pre-payment, so no tax return.

I have a feeling the scammers are targetting users of the online tax refund part of the ATO.

benbradley
07-02-2011, 04:55 AM
We have the same thing in Australia. Emails from the ATO telling people "Fill out these forms to receive your tax return moneys yo" or whatever.

I'm wondering if I'm going to get one of those. It'd be kind of funny, considering I haven't earnt any money this financial year... Just unemployment, which isn't enough to be taxed on, and which tax isn't taken out of pre-payment, so no tax return.
You should look into moving to the USA where we have, among other things, the Unearned Income Tax Credit.

Caitlin Black
07-02-2011, 05:24 AM
So does that mean I'd get a tax refund for money I could've earned? Like, hypothetical bonuses?

If so, count me in!

(Of course, the way I understand it is that you can't stay on Unemployment over in the States for very long, no matter your circumstances, so I'd probably wind up homeless unless I had the good fortune to get a job. Which plain isn't happening over here...)

Silver King
07-02-2011, 05:37 AM
Just to be pedantic, this thread is NOT a scam by the IRS, which the topic led me to believe...
I agree and changed the thread title to include RELATED. It hurt me a little to type it all in caps.

brainstorm77
07-02-2011, 05:39 AM
There is also a new phone scam going around. I got the call today. Apparently someone in my family gave my name at a Walmart or a Zellers that was entered in a 'draw', and I won a voucher for 2500 bucks towards a vacation.:evil

Sargentodiaz
07-02-2011, 07:19 PM
You should look into moving to the USA where we have, among other things, the Unearned Income Tax Credit.

That's exactly what I thought it was about!!!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9LeTbYzdbR4cbWSVNhdcl2YipbcG9o sKbrCzGs7pBzGJV-Ajq

These Mean Streets
07-02-2011, 09:59 PM
That's a relief. I thought maybe they had questions about the money I got from Nigeria.

areteus
07-03-2011, 05:42 PM
No legitimate company will ask for your personal details by e-mail or ask you to click a link to 'confirm details'. If you are not sure, hover your mouse over the link and see what the real url is, quite often it will not be what it claims to be.

Sargentodiaz
07-03-2011, 09:01 PM
No legitimate company will ask for your personal details by e-mail or ask you to click a link to 'confirm details'. If you are not sure, hover your mouse over the link and see what the real url is, quite often it will not be what it claims to be.

So I learned ....