Medical question: inability to access medication

RedStringSoul

Chaos Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
In my work in progress (set in future based on our world, 20 years later), I have a character with muscular dystrophy. He's in his late teens and is ambulatory thanks to the muscle replacement technology but he is dependent on anti-rejection and steroids to help maintain cardiac and respiratory strength. (Steroids are part of current treatment for DMD to help boys maintain some muscle strength.)

Early on in the story, he will no longer be able to get his medications. I was wondering if anyone can give me an educated guess on how long it would be before this would begin to effect him physically? Weeks? Months?

TIA

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Steroid withdrawal causes a bunch of bad symptoms including stuff that can kill you. Google it! As steroids have a very short half life, that would cause a problem within a day or two. And that's separate from the health problems flaring up again!

RedStringSoul

Chaos Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, I hadn't even considered the possibilities of medication withdrawal, just the longer term health implications! Definitely have to look that up. This helps a lot!