Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Here's a thread to put reviews as they come in... I'll work with Richard to put them on a page on the website, too. :)

I think this one is going up on Huntress Reviews:

Stories of Strength
The Authors of AbsoluteWrite.com
Lulu
November
ISBN 1411655036
Inspirational Anthology

In all likelihood, you have only heard of a few of the authors whose work is gathered in this book. Even if you aren't a fan of theirs, you know who Orson Scott Card, Wil Wheaton, and a few others are. However, you do know the people of whom they write. In fictional and true stories, they tell of children facing pain, people learning about one another, learning to love again after a heartbreak, cancer patients, marathon runners, grandparents, and many others. A common thread runs through each story. Each of them portrays a variety of strength that won't make front page news or be depicted in a comic book. More than one will make you cheer the spirit that impelled the hero or heroine to face the challenge. Several will make you cry as well. If you buy this book, you will also become a hero in a small way, if there is such a thing as a small hero. Proceeds from this volume will help those who are strong, but need some assistance.
--Amanda Killgore

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I can set up a page for it, no problem, although I'd suggest waiting until two or three are good to go - with all the new stuff in the sidebar, the content window needs a fair whack of content to avoid it looking unbalanced.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's an awesome review she wrote, Jill. Do you think it would be okay if I printed off some of the reviews to use as part of the press kit?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Have you seen this yet?

http://www.girlondemand.blogspot.com

It's fabulous! And it's already brought in some sales.

AND this letter...

Dear Jenna,

I learned about your anthology via the POD-dy Mouth blog this morning, ordered an e-copy, and just featured it on my blog, BEYOND Understanding (www.sustenancescout.blogspot.com). Girl on Demand is right, your book is a highlight in the history of POD! I’ve included Stories of Strength in my permanent list of links and plan to write a full review and offer it to anyone willing to reprint it. GOOD LUCK for continued success!

Karen DeGroot Carter
Author of One Sister's Song,
a lyrical challenge to common assumptions
about love, race, and respect.
[url="http://www.PearlStreetPublishing.com"]www.PearlStreetPublishing.com[/url]

BEYOND Understanding:
A Blog for the Socially Conscious
www.sustenancescout.blogspot.com

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
XThe NavigatorX said:
What a weird coincidence. I was eating a pop-tart while reading those reviews.

Well, I started to say something about minds in gutters but realized mine must be there, too... so... scoot over you're crowding me.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this officially counts as a review, but it is what I am posting in some MSN Book related forums that I joined - my short review. (I might also write a long review if I find a venue to inspire it)

__
Stories of Strength (in aid of Disaster Relief Charities)
Edited by Jenna Glatzer

Stories of Strength is an inspirational anthology containing fiction, non-fiction, and poetry on themes of strength such as Strength of Spirit, Strength of Community, The Strength to Start Over, and other categories. It contains writing by Orson Scott Card, Wil Wheaton, and Elizabeth Lee Hatcher as well as many lesser-known and some previously unknown writers. 100% of the profits from the book go to aid Disaster Relief, find out more. I am proud to say that my own poetic meditation, Trust in This Dark Night, is included (on page 6), but I also have read the entire book and so I feel able to give a reader's review of it.

In life, strength is called for from us all, some ways we expect, and others that take us completely by surprise - and when these moments come to us, as they must, we only think we know where we might draw our strength - often it turns out strength comes from unexpected sources. You'll meet people who thought they would rely on others, but found they had the strength there in themselves all along, and you'll meet people who thought they'd have the strength themselves, but ended up leaning on the strength of others, and everything in between. The hundred voices of Stories of Strength tell us, in many different ways, the same message; when you need strength, you'll find it.

Some of the stories, I couldn't help but cry; others, I couldn't help but laugh.

More than anything, what this book left me feeling was an awareness that stories of strength happen all around us all the time, often un-noticed. After having read the book, and now some time after, I can say that awareness hasn't gone - I see stories of strength everywhere.

Sincerely

Aviva Rifka Bhandari

You'll find links to other reviews of this book here
You'll find the 13 page free preview here
___

The thing about the MSN Book Groups is that an author posting a review of their own book is not at all frowned upon (so long as it is declared) neither reviews posted by readers with no more authority than their own personal preference! To get the review welcomed rather than regarded as spam a level of unrelated group participation goes alongside, of course. It's great, of the 4 communities I joined so far (totalling 3,000 book lovers) two of them are turning out to be great communities I plan to remain active in.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
BN has got a customer review... do we have our first happy reader? It is so just what we'd want it to say. :banana: Thankyou to Booklover4life, whoever you are!

Booklover4life, A reviewer, November 28, 2005,
5stars.gif
cleardot.gif
A great cause...to aid Hurricane Relief Victims
This book is an excellent read for anyone. It makes a great Christmas gift. The stories will soothe your souls. Several writers got together with one focus--to enrich the lives of others through their writing. If you're a Chicken Soup Lover, then you've got to get your hands on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.