PDA

View Full Version : Gift for writer friend

Ms Hollands
06-30-2011, 10:14 PM
A very good friend of mine who lives in the same village and is also a writer has just read my entire novel and given me line-by-line feedback which has been invaluable.

I'd like to get her a little thank you gift but I have no idea what to get. I already got her Stephen King's "On Writing" for something else but I can't think of any other writing-related thing that she'd find handy. She's off sweet food and flowers seem too token, but I don't want to overdo it either.

Any innovative ideas?

alleycat
06-30-2011, 10:18 PM
A nice journal or notebook (something a cut above the ordinary).

A magazine subscription to Writer's Digest or The Writer (or whatever writing magazine is popular there).

Something for her computer (a handy gadget of some sort).

A copy of The War of Art.

happywritermom
06-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Am I allowed to point to my siggie?

Soccer Mom
07-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Something small like a mousepad or notebook is always nice. Does she have a favorite type of pen?

Libbie
07-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Well, a nice pen is kind of the traditional gift for a writer...do you think she'd like one? I know I always love a good pen. :D

Sophia
07-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Perhaps a book token, either one for a local bookshop, or for something online, like Amazon?

Ms Hollands
07-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Great ideas, thanks. She does all her writing on a laptop, so pen and notepad ideas won't appeal as much to her.

I really like the idea of a magazine subscription: perhaps it will spur her on to keep writing, and receiving non-French mail when you're an English native speaker is always a nice surprise!