How Long Till Hearing Gets Back to Normal

Fade

The Captain of My Soul
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick question I need to clear up: If my MC has no sound muffling equipment and he hears a gunshot close to him, how long will it be until his hearing gets back to normal? (I assume there's some effect from the gunshot).

Fade

The Captain of My Soul
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt reply. :) I just have another question now.

What's a .22? I'm guilty of knowing next to nothing about guns; the most description I ever go into in my novel is to clarify whether something's a handgun or a rifle.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
A .22 is a rimfire cartridge used in small (usually target pistols) and rifles for target practise or the destruction of vermin, here is an extremely informative article on the .22 cartridge: http://www.chuckhawks.com/22_rimfire_cartridges.htm

Although it would affect your hearing to a certain extent it would not compare with say a 9mm .40 or .45, generally if you are right handed your left ear is nearer to the muzzle and would be affected to a greater extent than your right. (Well in my experience anyway).

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
And just to be clear, if you shoot a relatively large caliber hand gun, your hearing is affected, but depending on the person, usually not enough to matter after a few seconds.
If the person is in a closed area where the sound can reverberate, then the affects will be worse. Sound is nothing more than pressure waves. The stronger the waves, the more it will affect your hearing. I have never had hearing loss for more than a few seconds, even after a artillery simulator going off within a few feet of me. Long term -- well, that's different. Massive tinnitus might be the price I'm paying now.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
generally if you are right handed your left ear is nearer to the muzzle and would be affected to a greater extent than your right. (Well in my experience anyway).

Just for fun: I can tell Steve uses the Weaver (two-hand combat shooting) stance, which puts the left ear closer to his handgun.

The old army offhand position keeps pistols a little farther away but closer to right ear.

I use the isosceles two-hand stance to menace both ears equally, ha ha ha.

Back on track: Even though I'm deaf (genetic nerve deafness), I wear ear protection when shooting and hunting, because a discharge within several feet (especially muzzle blast) causes pain to my intact eardrums and ear mechanics.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up, Chase. I thought of you the moment I read the question and my first thought was, Does a deaf person need ear protection? Now I know you do.

Maryn, whose shooting consists entirely of smart-ass remarks

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I've got some hearing issues, not caused by loud noises, but I do suffer from deafness and tinnitus, which is a ringing of the ears. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

A nearby gunshot on an unprotected ear would produce temporary tinnitus of varying volume. It's like an old television going bad. It's a phantom sound, brought about by shock to the cochlea. It can vary in volume from mild (20 to 30 decibels, like very distant road noise) to moderate (30 to 50 decibels, like conversation or watching normal television) to severe (50dbs+ as high as 100, like a nightclub). Myself, I'm lucky enough to only have mild to moderate.

As was stated, temporary tinnitus would last from minutes to hours depending on the decibels experienced in the initial shock and the individual's personal constitution. Some folks can go to a nightclub, experience 90 to 100dbs for hours and come out without any residual effects. Others can get ringing from a particularly noisy restaurant (60 to 80dbs, especially if Local Sports Team makes a good play). It's worth noting that employees at loud places like that often use special earplugs to take the edge off the noise since repeated exposure is usually (though not always) detrimental.

And now you know far more than you ever wanted about tinnitus. :)

Last edited:

Fade

The Captain of My Soul
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, guys! :) I forgot to make my MC's ears ring, so I'll go in and add that now.