Reputable Literary Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLaw

Registered
Reaction score
I've written a literary novel based loosely on true events involving drug cartels in southwest Texas. This is a timely issue for those in the region, and though I've gotten some exciting sniffs from reputable agents working from the East coast, I'm thinking the manuscript may resonate better with a regional agent.

Problem is: I don't know of any reputable literary agents in Texas--New Mexico, Arizona would work, too, I guess, provided any exist.

What I don't want is someone who will dump the manuscript in the lap of a small publisher who already accepts unsolicited manuscripts from authors.

Can anyone recommend an agency in this region? Someone from a writer's group mentioned DUPREE/MILLER & ASSOCIATES in Dallas, but besides them, I'm having trouble gathering names.

If you don't know someone in the region, I'd take a name from someone located elsewhere who might have an appreciation for literary fiction and can stomach a little violence associated with drug cartels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
A manuscript is only going to sell with an agent that has good contacts with editors at publishing houses. The location of your agent is irrelevant, especially as many of them aren't originally from New York or California; they just moved to where the publishing houses are. Most agents are there simply because it's easier to maintain contacts when you are in the same city. Unless you are looking for a regional publisher, I wouldn't worry about where an agent is located. If they love your book, they love your book. That's all you need.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Since this a general inquiry, I'm moving it to Networking.

RLaw

Registered
Reaction score
A manuscript is only going to sell with an agent that has good contacts with editors at publishing houses. The location of your agent is irrelevant, especially as many of them aren't originally from New York or California; they just moved to where the publishing houses are. Most agents are there simply because it's easier to maintain contacts when you are in the same city. Unless you are looking for a regional publisher, I wouldn't worry about where an agent is located. If they love your book, they love your book. That's all you need.

That's a fine attitude in general; however, the novel is based on true events that occurred in the area, and local newspapers are peppered with stories detailing skirmishes between law enforcers and drug traffickers along the Mexican borders. I'll be sending queries all over; however, I think those in the region who are inundated with this type of news might be a little more prone to ask for a full read.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If you think your book has national or international appeal, then there's no sense in thinking only regional agents would be interested.

RLaw

Registered
Reaction score
If you think your book has national or international appeal, then there's no sense in thinking only regional agents would be interested.

As I said in the previous post, I'm not limiting it to regional agents; I'm sending queries all over. With all due respect, please refrain from giving your unsolicited two cents and only post if you have an answer to my very specific question. Thanks.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
The one time I tried to get a regional agent it turned out to be a scammer. I'm in Texas, my agent is in Florida, and her agency offices are in Georgia; my books sell to New York houses. These days location is meaningless.

Should you sell your book, then local promotion will be very helpful to you, but deal with that down the road.

Go into any bookstore. Look for books similar to what you wrote, note the names of the authors and who published the books.

Look up the publishers to check their submission guidelines. Some non-fiction places still look at unsolicited submissions.

Look up the authors and ask if they could recommend a reputable agent for a non-fiction work. Just don't ask them to read your book or tell them anything about it.

Most writers are cool about helping out a neo.

With all due respect, please refrain from giving your unsolicited two cents and only post if you have an answer to my very specific question. Thanks.

Just so you know, posting a question in any of the forums means you are asking for everyone's unsolicited two cents. You might get a reply or comment that's not strictly on topic, but someone did stop to read your question and consider it and offer an opinion. Whether you liked it or not, you say thanks or nothing at all.

Absolute Write is different from all the other message boards out there. It is run and moderated by professionals in the industry. Many members are professionally published and don't have to come here to help people out, but they do.

Respect for other writers is the driver here.

Please take that into consideration before giving instructions to other members about what you want posted on a thread.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
As I said in the previous post, I'm not limiting it to regional agents; I'm sending queries all over. With all due respect, please refrain from giving your unsolicited two cents and only post if you have an answer to my very specific question. Thanks.
Please refrain from presuming to dictate who can respond to your question or how. And go read the Newbie Guide.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like the sort of thing Janet Reid might go for, but you'd better read Queryshark before you submit to her.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com

With all due respect, go to your dictionary and look up two words.

Politeness.
Gratitude.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
You've been here five minutes and your response is to be rude and dismissive of experienced people trying to teach you how the industry works?

I have been grateful for every single piece of advice I've recieved here, even if it didn't apply to my situation, because the people here genuinely have industry experience and want to help you.

If they say a regional agent is not necessary and in fact may limit you, I would believe them.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't know someone in the region, I'd take a name from someone located elsewhere who might have an appreciation for literary fiction and can stomach a little violence associated with drug cartels.

With all due respect, please refrain from giving your unsolicited two cents and only post if you have an answer to my very specific question. Thanks.

Maybe you'd better clarify what your "very specific question" was, as several people have responded to the "someone located elsewhere" query and your response has been less than appreciative.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like the sort of thing Janet Reid might go for, but you'd better read Queryshark before you submit to her.

But Waylander, Janet Reid is not REGIONAL. New York agents are not the droids agents he's looking for. :Ssh:

Oh no... by all means he should take his most tactful, professional inquiry to Janet.

I DARE YOU.
:evil

RLaw

Registered
Reaction score
The one time I tried to get a regional agent it turned out to be a scammer. I'm in Texas, my agent is in Florida, and her agency offices are in Georgia; my books sell to New York houses. These days location is meaningless.

Should you sell your book, then local promotion will be very helpful to you, but deal with that down the road.

Go into any bookstore. Look for books similar to what you wrote, note the names of the authors and who published the books.

Look up the publishers to check their submission guidelines. Some non-fiction places still look at unsolicited submissions.

Look up the authors and ask if they could recommend a reputable agent for a non-fiction work. Just don't ask them to read your book or tell them anything about it.

Most writers are cool about helping out a neo.

Just so you know, posting a question in any of the forums means you are asking for everyone's unsolicited two cents. You might get a reply or comment that's not strictly on topic, but someone did stop to read your question and consider it and offer an opinion. Whether you liked it or not, you say thanks or nothing at all.

Absolute Write is different from all the other message boards out there. It is run and moderated by professionals in the industry. Many members are professionally published and don't have to come here to help people out, but they do.

Respect for other writers is the driver here.

Please take that into consideration before giving instructions to other members about what you want posted on a thread.

If you pay attention to what I wrote, you'll see that my novel is not nonfiction; it is literary fiction. Thanks for your perspective. I suppose the same holds true for my 2 cents, which is: if you don't have an answer to the question, you have no reason to post.

RLaw

Registered
Reaction score

Thank you wholeheartedly for your reply. That's the kind of helpful info that actually matters.

RLaw

Registered
Reaction score
Please refrain from presuming to dictate who can respond to your question or how. And go read the Newbie Guide.

I apologize if my response seemed rude. I just didn't find anything particularly helpful from that specific response and hoped it might dissuade others from providing similar ones.

RLaw

Registered
Reaction score
I would have suggested an agent I know well and who might be well suited to consider the manuscript, but given the OP's rude rejection of helpful comments, nah.

--Ken

I'm sorry if my response seemed rude; that wasn't the intent. I was merely attempting to be direct.

RLaw

Registered
Reaction score
With all due respect, go to your dictionary and look up two words.

Politeness.
Gratitude.

I'm sorry if my response seemed rude. It wasn't my intent as I typed.

RLaw

Registered
Reaction score
You've been here five minutes and your response is to be rude and dismissive of experienced people trying to teach you how the industry works?

I have been grateful for every single piece of advice I've recieved here, even if it didn't apply to my situation, because the people here genuinely have industry experience and want to help you.

If they say a regional agent is not necessary and in fact may limit you, I would believe them.

I guess it's true that many writers are very sensitive. Sorry again for ruffling feathers. I merely meant to make it clear that I already knew that local agents weren't a necessity; I was only trying to find out if anyone knew any reputable agencies in Texas.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I think you are basing your inquiry on the false assumption that a Texas-based agent would be more likely to read your full.

The agents who are interested in this type of story are the ones who are more likely to read your full. Look for them, as you are already doing. Read their blogs/profiles/ect, and if any of them are originally from Texas, then all the better for you.

If you only want replies with names of specific agents, then I imagine this thread is going to remain very quiet, because, as everyone has said, most agents have their business in New York or California.

Status
Not open for further replies.