PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Bakshi

DwayneA
06-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Anybody ever heard of this animator? To me, he is probably the most controversial animation artist and producer of animated movies ever. Anybody here seen Fritz the Cat? Wizards? Fire and Ice? Cool World? He made those animated movies. He also produced a short-lived animated series called Spicy City.

His works are notorious for their content, including profanity, sexual content, violence, and many of them were very weird.

I've seen some of his works on Youtube, and I must say I'm shocked at what I've seen. Some of them are enough to put even South Park to shame.

BenPanced
06-29-2011, 09:42 AM
I saw Wizards about 30 years ago as a midnight movie. I didn't think it was bad, but when I saw it again about 6 years ago, I wasn't too crazy about Elinore, the typical half-nude buxom babe who seems to exist only to be tied up by the villain.

I thought Fire and Ice was an incredible bore.

Cool World started to drag for me about half way through. I stuck it out in the hopes it would pick up. It didn't, really.

I preferred his revival of Mighty Mouse in 1987. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1377Y2YhO0)

Zoombie
06-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Wizards is a cracktastic good time.

eyeblink
06-29-2011, 11:04 AM
I quite enjoyed Fritz the Cat but it's been a very long time since I saw it.

I also saw his Lord of the Rings on cinema release. Likewise Cool World, but I can barely remember any of it.

Maryn
06-29-2011, 05:16 PM
I've seen most of his work, although only Ghost World recently.

There's no reason animation has to be reserved for kids. Bakshi was unapologetic for catering to specific adult tastes, and his movies were rated accordingly. While I don't remember them well at all, I remember being seriously impressed.

Maryn, not put off by adult content, since she's an adult

gothicangel
06-29-2011, 05:42 PM
I've seen most of his work, although only Ghost World recently.

There's no reason animation has to be reserved for kids. Bakshi was unapologetic for catering to specific adult tastes, and his movies were rated accordingly. While I don't remember them well at all, I remember being seriously impressed.

Maryn, not put off by adult content, since she's an adult

Wizards, I saw that as a kid in the 80's and LOTR. I blame that and other films such as The Dark Crystal and Return to Oz for a lot. ;)

I rewatched Wizards on YouTube recently, and it still gives me chills. Especially the opening credits and the narrator's emotionless voice.

mario_c
06-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Let's not forget Heavy Traffic, a semi-autobiographical work about coming of age in 70s Brooklyn. Caustic and brilliant stuff.
I've queued up Fire And Ice, which is his collaboration with Frank Frazetta. Too bad he never finished his Lord Of The Rings project....

Celia Cyanide
06-30-2011, 03:52 AM
Also, Street Fight. And American Pop.

Miguelito
06-30-2011, 04:22 AM

American Pop is a great little film. Whenever I hear "Night Moves", I immediately think of that movie.

BenPanced
06-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Okay. I will admit to squealing like the 16-year-old girl I actually am when American Pop was released on DVD.

James D. Macdonald
06-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Anybody ever heard of this animator?

Heck, I saw 'em when they came out in the theaters.

areteus
06-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Saw LOTR and wished he'd been able to finish it... I think it lost a lot to being part 1 of an unfinished 2 parter. Not seen any other films by him, though.

The LOTR animation is as much a part of my childhood as the early Narnia cartoons were.

Manuel Royal
07-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Bakshi's a strange dude. Wizards had perhaps the most thematically hypocritical ending ever, but a lot of people like it.

If I recall, his Lord of the Rings used the Spanish army as Orcs. Movie had its good and bad points.

I remember an interview where Bakshi made it sound like he'd invented rotoscoping (in use for at least 40 years at the time), and (also falsely) claimed to be the first to use slow motion in animation.

I've never seen Fritz the Cat, but I remember that R. Crumb -- or at least R. Crumb's fans -- were not happy with it.

I've got his Fire and Ice and American Pop on my Netflix queue.

Linda Adams
07-03-2011, 03:06 AM
I saw Fire and Ice, too. I remember seeing how he did the animation -- the movements looked like it was a real person and not a cartoon image. If I recall, he used models for the animators to get the movements right. Though the movie itself was not particularly memorable.

His site says he worked with Frank Frazetta on the film -- FF is definitely for adults.

Alessandra Kelley
07-03-2011, 03:31 AM
I didn't like his LOTR, with its creepy rotoscoping. On the whole, I found him gratuitous -- adult, yeah, but not really engaging.

Thanks, BenPanced, for reminding me of "Mighty Mouse." That was probably his best work. Didn't the franchise yank it? It was clever, funny, and sly. I still remember his devastating satires of kids' cartoons, when MM got stuck in the tv (the Scooby Doo paroody was especially delicious as I recall -- they pulled off the villain's mask offscreen anr said something like, "Why, there's nothing under here but some tendons & veins & stuff!"

Alessandra Kelley
07-03-2011, 03:56 AM
I remember what happened to "Mighty Mouse" -- some religious self-appointed watchdog attacked it (in my memory it was at least as funny and subversive as the later "Ren and Stimpy") and claimed that there was a scene of MM snorting cocaine. He was obviously sniffing a flower, but the network caved and that was the end of it.

Celia Cyanide
07-03-2011, 04:09 AM
American Pop is a great little film. Whenever I hear "Night Moves", I immediately think of that movie.

I actually hate that song in any other context but that one.

Manuel Royal
07-13-2011, 04:51 AM
Just watched American Pop. (Actually, a couple of days ago, when I first made this post. Disappeared in the rollback.)

Anyway, it was excellent. Used animation as a valid medium for communicating a big dramatic story for grown-ups. They do that all the time in Japan (I highly recommend Millennium Actress) but not often here in the U.S. Could have used a stronger ending, but it was a great ride.

captain_ryan
07-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Anybody seen Coonskin? I thought it was a great Bakshi film that will NEVER see DVD release.

I really enjoy Bakshi's work, but I must say he is the most unsettling human being. Ever. Watch Fire Dogs 2 and John K.'s lead in on the Ren & Stimpy Adult Party Cartoons. It's hilarious but creepy at the same time.

defcon6000
07-14-2011, 07:35 AM
I've been watching a few of Bakshi's films on Youtube, what little of it I can find, since he's before my time.

Bakshi's a strange dude. Wizards had perhaps the most thematically hypocritical ending ever, but a lot of people like it.
I thought the same. A major theme of the movie was magic verse technology (magic good, technology bad), but when the magic folk use the very same technology to defeat the bad guys? Sort of undermines the theme. Overall, I thought the movie was disjointed and the characters unlikable.

Manuel Royal
07-16-2011, 07:17 PM
I've been watching a few of Bakshi's films on Youtube, what little of it I can find, since he's before my time.

I thought the same. A major theme of the movie was magic verse technology (magic good, technology bad), but when the magic folk use the very same technology to defeat the bad guys? Sort of undermines the theme. Overall, I thought the movie was disjointed and the characters unlikable.Right; there's an early scene where a mother tells her child, "They [evil bad guys] have weapons and technology. We only have love." I missed the next line because I was retching a little.