Question: resubbing an overhauled, but orig. well received MS

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I have submitted my current novel to agents before and was told several times it had good bones, and was a good story - but nothing unusual. I was also told that it was good, but 'said agent' just wasn't drawn in enough to offer representation.

So, I shelved it for the last 3 years, and just now heard that the MS genre is in again. So I decided to rework it, and ended up gutting it and starting over. It flows much better now, and is a whole new book.

So, when I submit it to said agents again, do I mention I have submitted the concept before and that they liked the concept (and that I have taken their comment into consideration)...

Or do I present it as a whole new book, which it is, gutted and all - the original sense or idea that inspired the MS the only thing being untouched.

*help*

:D

ETA: I only submit to members or the Writer's Guild, SCWBI, or AAR - as many of the others I have submitted to in the past have turned out to be 'questionable' on P&E, at best.

(And as for the "I was also told that it was good, but 'said agent' just wasn't drawn in enough to offer representation", it wasn't part of a standard rejection, and I know that because it was a letter addressed to me [my name, commenting on specific things talked about in a previous letter] in the return SASE. I did not have the internet at the time, and know it was not a form letter - rushed spelling mistakes on it, punctuation, and all, on the hurried/hand-signed response.)

Last edited:

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I have submitted my current novel to agents before and was told several times it had good bones, and was a good story - but nothing unusual. I was also told that it was good, but 'said agent' just wasn't drawn in enough to offer representation. this can be part of a standard rejection letter

So, I shelved it for the last 3 years, and just now heard that the MS genre is in again. So I decided to rework it, and ended up gutting it and starting over. It flows much better now, and is a whole new book.

So, when I submit it to said agents again, do I mention I have submitted the concept before and that they liked the concept (and that I have taken their comment into consideration)... I would submit to different agents, not requery to the same agents

Or do I present it as a whole new book, which it is, gutted and all - the original sense or idea that inspired the MS the only thing being untouched. if you submit to new agents it's not an issue

*help*

:D

I would query new agents, not the same ones you queried before. There are a ton of agents out there who you haven't yet queried.
Lots of luck :).

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Three years and a gutted maunscript. Honestly, slap on a new Title and query to your hearts content. I doubt anyone is going to remember you, by name, and concepts are a dime a dozen. So I honestly think you are safe. Go for it!
I wouldn't bother mentioning old book in queries either.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it would also depend upon whether any of the feedback came after the said-agent(s) read either your partial or full. If I were an agent who rejected your full and I was queried again and wasn't told it's a rewrite, I may resent figuring out (60 pages in) "hey....i've read this before!". Long story short, if if you re-approach an agent that read anything beyond sample chapters, it seems like it would be courteous to give them the low-down on the rewrite. But, that's just one opinion.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! :D

And one of the agents mentioned that she remembered me when I submitted another MS a year and a half later... So, I will definitely mention to her that it is a rewrite/total gut job!

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Three years and a gutted maunscript. Honestly, slap on a new Title and query to your hearts content. I doubt anyone is going to remember you, by name, and concepts are a dime a dozen. So I honestly think you are safe. Go for it!
I wouldn't bother mentioning old book in queries either.

Ditto!

And one of the agents mentioned that she remembered me when I submitted another MS a year and a half later... So, I will definitely mention to her that it is a rewrite/total gut job!

That happened to me...probably the same agent you ran across! But she was the only one. In fact, I had agents who passed on the first MS, but asked for a partial or full on the rewrite 2 years later.